Menu

Ignore this thread!

She's right. Traditional classroom style drilling was a failure for Izzy. Which is why it didn't work for her while she was in school. Which may be one of the reasons why you took her out.

Has anyone talked to you about de-schooling yet?

Not quite what I meant. I mean she thinks that she failed at something when it doesn't go well.

I'm not in that camp. I think that it's probably just too early to push reading on her. I know she loves math.

But I have that nagging doubt about letting Izzy lose reading skills by not practicing them. She still "passively" reads signs, titles, and things like that when relevant, so that's something. But I'd like her to still keep up on her penmanship because I think it'll help with her fine motor difficulties which every now and again show a glimmer of returning.

I'm fine with self led learning, because Izzy does really well at it. She's very inquisitive. I do think that eventually she will need at least a little rote practice for her writing and math but I'm not stressing it. My wife, a bit more than me.

We'll see. I'm not in a hurry right now. 

While I do think that a highly structured (and plodding) classroom isn't the ideal environment for Izzy's learning, mostly we took her out because her principal is (was) a miserable dishonest horrible person and because lockdown drills make me insane with how pointless and propagandistic they are. Those were my hot buttons. I do like how she's stretching out so much in terms of intellectual curiosity since leaving. My wife is not convinced yet. We'll get there.

We're a pretty academic/bright group. I don't think she'll want for learning and I think she's young enough that I don't need to impose many rules on it just yet.

Not quite what I meant. I mean she thinks that she failed at something when it doesn't go well.

I'm not in that camp. I think that it's probably just too early to push reading on her. I know she loves math.

I knew what you meant. I was just turning it around. Ya'll will find your path.

• Like 2

8 weeks, 2 days. Sorry. I didn't mean to lie.

Congratulations. That is pretty far along. They never took me in until 12 weeks. I'm jealous.

But I have that nagging doubt about letting Izzy lose reading skills by not practicing them.

I'm not saying this was my oldest daughter who now loves to read, or the little one, but some children have been known to learn to read through comic books and math word problems.

I'd say a solid year of refusing to read books (but being read to) and reading only Singapore, Evan Moore, and other challenge math did it for my kids. :D

• Like 1

Oh and good morning, ITT. And stuff.

I've been up since early. No idea why. I could have come into work on time but instead I played a new video game for a couple of hours and then came in an hour late. Wednesday is off to a rocking start.

• Like 6

Good morning!!!!!

I slept terribly. Instead of eating the wonderfully healthy supper I had fixed, I ate 3 white castle sliders (ds20 brought me some after work). Well, about 2 a.m. I woke up with such acid in my throat that I couldn't breathe. It was awful, and kinda scary too. I started coughing and finally got my breath. I finally fell asleep around 4 a.m.:(

• Like 1

Yay Ikslo!!!

(((Dawn)))

(((Slache)))

Mark, yay for conquering the digital game world to start the day off right.

So, I finally ran today.  I was on track to make (nearly) 3 miles and was nearly finished when I had to stop.  I could see up ahead that some guys were trying to catch some of the younger horses and having quite a time of it.  I decided my jogging by would not be in their best interest.  So, I turned around and got a ride home the long way.  It's counts psychologically, if not physically!  I may start the 10K app next time.  We're out of milk.  I'm having bagels instead of cereal.  

• Like 5

Day 5.. I forgot what you're doing. Juice fast? Spaghetti challenge?

Juice fast - not a chance.

Spaghetti challenge - sounds interesting.  Explain.  This might be my winter thing. :)

I was attempting to exercise daily.  So sometimes "run," sometimes walk.  More like a jog/walk combo.  Jolking.  The squirrels probably think I look pathetic.

• Like 5

I'm sorry that it will probably come as a disappointment that I completely made up "Spaghetti Challenge" for my own giggles. I bet if you google it though, it's probably a thing.

On second thought maybe you shouldn't google that.

• Like 2

Reported. I wonder why this forum draws Korean spam in particular. Funky.

It's certainly not because we have dozens of threads dedicated to Korean dramas because that's not how spam works. The fact that the Korean spam began just weeks after the Korean drama group started and flares up when they're posting a lot is a complete coincidence I'm sure.

Happy Veteran's Day to Lynn and everyone else! But mostly Lynn. :)

Good job ikslo. It will be a habit soon. Just keep it up a little while longer and it will be easier.

• Like 3

I never said that's not how spam works, so if that was a reference to me saying that swearing doesn't attract spammers, you're being silly. :)

Good morning cranky pregnant person.

I'm not cranky. I told you that a professional spammer told me how they pick sites and you said that I was wrong. It was irritating. I'm a woman. I hold grudges. Deal with it.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that it will probably come as a disappointment that I completely made up "Spaghetti Challenge" for my own giggles. I bet if you google it though, it's probably a thing.

On second thought maybe you shouldn't google that.

Better not.  I'm at work. :)

• Like 2

You said that bad words bring spammers. That's really not true. Suck it up. :)

Having an entire thread/board section devoted to Korean dramas would certainly be likely to attract Korean spam. That makes sense. Spammers generally care about contextual content when they care about anything. Then of course there's the flat out randomness of badly/carelessly written bots.

You said that bad words bring spammers. That's really not true. Suck it up. :)

Having an entire thread/board section devoted to Korean dramas would certainly be likely to attract Korean spam. That makes sense. Spammers generally care about contextual content when they care about anything. Then of course there's the flat out randomness of badly/carelessly written bots.

They look for key words. Swear words are used more frequently on forums than closed websites. Swear words = spammers.

They look for key words. Swear words are used more frequently on forums than closed websites. Swear words = spammers.

If you'd like I can link you to a dozen or two forums FILLED with not only swear words but explicit textual descriptions of err.. adult material that have ZERO spam to prove my point. ;-)

If you'd like I can link you to a dozen or two forums FILLED with not only swear words but explicit textual descriptions of err.. adult material that have ZERO spam to prove my point. ;-)

Maybe they have better spam protection. Maybe they're smaller. This site is huge. We're in the news a lot. No links please. Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

Speaking as a webmaster currently running 6 domains and having owned and/or run about 3 dozen over the last 20 years, I will sit here firmly in my confident rightness. Sorry.

If this site is huge (and it seems to be), it should have fancy new fangled things that were invented ten years ago like better spam protection and double-post protection and etc. :-P

BOOOOYAHHHHHHH

• Like 6