• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Sounds lovely!  California is an amazing place.  Plus a bit of crazy.

The Central Coast is really a wonderful place to goof around. I wanted to take the girls to Hearst Castle, but we are broke now, so we just went to the beach. And the Mission tour was free.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Is the peacock still there?

No, he is gone. A rather magnificent bird, but now he is gone. I am glad. i didn’t know what to do with him. My one cat was stalking him and another one was terrified of him.🤣

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The Central Coast is really a wonderful place to goof around. I wanted to take the girls to Hearst Castle, but we are broke now, so we just went to the beach. And the Mission tour was free.

One year, when we were living in San Diego, I thought it would be fun to visit all 21 missions. So we did. In a week. Did San Diego, San Luis Rey, and Capistrano before we left, then did the other 18 in a week. Packed everything onto the Isuzu, managed two or three missions, arrived at a camp site and unpacked, to do it all again the next day. Had an adventure finding the last one because [insert long AAA TripTik story]. Also went to Sutters Ft. in Sacramento, and camped a couple of nights in the Avenue of the Giants.

I would never recommend doing that, lol.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Ellie said:

One year, when we were living in San Diego, I thought it would be fun to visit all 21 missions. So we did. In a week. Did San Diego, San Luis Rey, and Capistrano before we left, then did the other 18 in a week. Packed everything onto the Isuzu, managed two or three missions, arrived at a camp site and unpacked, to do it all again the next day. Had an adventure finding the last one because [insert long AAA TripTik story]. Also went to Sutters Ft. in Sacramento, and camped a couple of nights in the Avenue of the Giants.

I would never recommend doing that, lol.

That sounds awesome!! I've seen several. One of my favorites is a little dilapidated and off the beaten path near Paso Robles, but it contains the only fresco paintings done by California native Americans.

Edited to add: I just looked it up. It’s Mission San Miguel. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

we watched “The Outsiders” for 80’s movie night tonight. What a great movie.

That movie/book has so many thinking points….it’s amazing that a 17 year old wrote it.  She really is able to explore the complexity of human nature, the craving for violence and the capacity for caring and appreciation of beauty all in the same person. 

• Like 3

Good morning!

This is ds28's first Sunday not working the sound system/livestream at church.  They hired someone who could take on the full part-time-ish job.  Ds is, however, still working from home to help the new guy trouble shoot issues.  We went to service and had to go to the overflow room since we were not 10 minutes early but they didn't have the livestream working so eventually we came back home in hopes it would be fixed by second service and we can watch from here.  

I plan to go driving with dd16 a little later.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Welp, the livestream was working by second service, so yay!  Afterwards we ate leftovers for lunch and then I took dd16 to the fancy Big City fish store where she did not find the female betta she wanted, so we went to the normal pet store closer to home where she found a lovely one.  She is planning to breed her bettas and see what happens.  She's had her breeding tank set up for a week or so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Welp, the livestream was working by second service, so yay!  Afterwards we ate leftovers for lunch and then I took dd16 to the fancy Big City fish store where she did not find the female betta she wanted, so we went to the normal pet store closer to home where she found a lovely one.  She is planning to breed her bettas and see what happens.  She's had her breeding tank set up for a week or so.

Wow, that is impressive.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, KrissiK said:

We have a peacock on our roof. No idea where he came from.

I remember when I peacock visited our old place. Pretty neat birds.

On 7/8/2023 at 8:11 AM, Susan in TN said:

Good morning! 

I slept late due to ds18 getting me out of bed just after midnight because the toilet wouldn't stop running.

Chester is overjoyed that the girls are back home.  He was so excited when they came out of their room this morning, as though he'd forgotten they came home last night, lol.  The girls had an amazing time at camp despite bumps and bruises and a kayak-paddle-gash on dd16's nose and dd14 having gotten into trouble for breaking a table.  They both have official COPE names now - Goggles and Moose and are now going through camp withdrawal sadness.

I am also not sure what is going on today.  Maybe working on the toilet.  But first,

Coffee!

Gymnast got back from camp on Saturday. The youth group left on Tuesday, but she and a friend went up on Thursday together. They had a blast!

I start getting up at dark o'clock tomorrow to teach ESL. I haven't done it a good while. I'll probably only do it through the summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I remember when I peacock visited our old place. Pretty neat birds.

Gymnast got back from camp on Saturday. The youth group left on Tuesday, but she and a friend went up on Thursday together. They had a blast!

I start getting up at dark o'clock tomorrow to teach ESL. I haven't done it a good while. I'll probably only do it through the summer.

😊

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, KrissiK said:

yay, Renai!! How exciting.  You will do great. And it’s a good age, too.

I've tutored reading and math to that age, subbed that grade level, and taught Spanish from prek through high school. I have not taught a regular class of 4th or 5th graders. I'm licensed through 3rd grade and have pretty much stayed within that. The principal said that I had more experience, and since I mentioned being open to a challenge, she decided to challenge me. 🤣

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Imma count learning the Church Clap line dance as high intensity interval training.

A couple of them forgot they were supposed to be in church. Like some folks say, "ain't got no chill!" 😅 Gymnast said they learned that at camp, but without so much ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, KrissiK said:

That sounds awesome!! I've seen several. One of my favorites is a little dilapidated and off the beaten path near Paso Robles, but it contains the only fresco paintings done by California native Americans.

Edited to add: I just looked it up. It’s Mission San Miguel. 

Oh, I remember that mission!

When we started out, I told the dc (ages 9 and 6yo) to remember one thing about each mission, e.g., San Diego was the first, San Luis Rey was the largest, Capistrano had the ruins of a basilica, but after about second day, didn't care, lol. If we had stayed in hotels instead of tent-camping with a small vehicle, it might have been better. IDK.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Renai said:

A couple of them forgot they were supposed to be in church. Like some folks say, "ain't got no chill!" 😅 Gymnast said they learned that at camp, but without so much ...

Um, no judgement, but, um...

• Haha 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!😩

Baby is at camp. DD1 only works tonight, so I don’t have to take her to work this morning. I have a noon appointment in the Big City.

It’s heating up again. Only 100+ temps in the 10 day forecast. But it is July in the Central Valley so no surprises there. Thankful that we have air conditioning.

I have a sour dough starter going. I did that during Covid. Thought I’d try it again.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Renai said:

Yeah, um, yikes.  I didn't even look at the lyrics - interesting interpretation 🤣   Imma find a different interpretation.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

The girls are playing "easy listening" renditions of Disney Princess music.  Not sure how much longer we'll be able to continue along this line, lol.  Imma try to get dd16 to drive me to AFSA to pick up a few things.  Dd14 has an orthodontist appointment this afternoon.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Afternoon, Happy Monday.

I don't remember the last time I checked in.   I've been getting lots done lately.  Paperwork, cleaning, organizing, laundry.   Lots to do still but I feel accomplished.  

Today I had to get up early to bring the roster to work for this week's camp.   I'm not working the camp at all but I'm going in Monday morning for all of them to deal with any questions or issues that may arise.    What stunk is that I didn't sleep at all last night.  Not sure why.  No pain, not particularly hot.  Just...awake.    Got out of bed around 6am.   I was going to take a nap but I have to teach math workshop at 2:30 so at this point I'll just wait and go to bed early.   And sleep late.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This summer has stunk so far.   I'm getting a lot of work done but I have plans to do weekly field trips, take ds driving to new places, walk/hike a lot, go to the lake.   Haven't been able to do any of that.    Every day so far it's either been torrential rain with flooding, or extremely hot and humid with air quality warnings.    Ds has SPD so being outside in the extreme heat is uncomfortable for him, and I have asthma so I have trouble breathing in it.  

I am looking for more indoor field trip ideas so we can at least try and stick to that part of the plan.  And we will do the driving on days where we don't have to worry about flooding, although they are also doing construction tearing up the road right outside my neighborhood this week, with all kinds of detours, so that will probably be postponed.  Walking and hiking is out for now. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I am feeling better. Not 100% yet, but I've increased my thyroid meds by 60 units (added to the puny 90 units that the endo had cut me down to. That doesn't sound right grammatically, but you know what i mean.) I told her when she decreased it that I would feel bad, and she pshawed. Yeah. Not going back to her. Ninety units almost killed me. Well, maybe not really, but it felt like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've never set up a new class over the level of preK...

Just thought I'd share that bit of trivia.

Online Spanish prek summer camp started today. I have two sold out sections and one with just a couple of students. Half of the students are those I taught this past school year. I'm going to have to eventually tell them I'm not teaching in the fall...

• Like 4

Not Necessarily Useful for You Information:

The United States has a Federal Emergency Management Administration.

The United States has a Department of Education.

They have clearly never met.

(I have now passed 6 FEMA courses of poor to abysmal educational quality.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So I had a really interesting allergist appointment.

They re-did my allergy testing since it had been quite a while.

I am no longer allergic to any foods or any animals!

I'm still in shock, honestly.

The doctor wants me to stay gluten free for now until we can do some further testing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Humph Day!!

Lot’s to do today. Appointment in the Big City, my work laptop monitor is flickering, so i have tech support this afternoon. The cool thing about that, is that I don’t have to go anywhere. He can access my laptop remotely. My work has such good tech support, too. Those guys are really smart and really nice. They never make me feel dumb because I am old and technologically apathetic. And then tonight we have a Zoom with our financial guy.

• Like 3

Dd's friend from Michigan who was here last summer and again in January is coming to visit again.  They'll be here next Friday so they are here for dd's birthday.  Then we have our 4H fair the following weekend so couldn't bring them to the airport then, so they leave the following Monday morning.   On a 6 am flight.  Which means we need to get there by 5am.   Which means leaving the house by 4:15 am.  Which I realize could be worse, we're really not that far from the airport, but still.   Yuck to getting up that early in the morning after a weekend working the 4H fair. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Junie said:

Also, I want to hug a puppy. 🙂

I've been allergic to animals my whole life, so finding out that I'm no longer allergic to anything is really hard to wrap my head around.

Well, the lady who breeds the Chester doodles just emailed saying they have 7 puppies available at a huge discount.  3 black standards and 4 red minis.  I can hook you up! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Junie said:

So I had a really interesting allergist appointment.

They re-did my allergy testing since it had been quite a while.

I am no longer allergic to any foods or any animals!

I'm still in shock, honestly.

The doctor wants me to stay gluten free for now until we can do some further testing.

That's amazing!  I once talked to a vet who had always been violently allergic to animals (took a lot of medicine for it, I imagine) and then it just all stopped and she wasn't allergic any more.

• Like 2