• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I bought a new fitness tracker with a heartbeat monitor.  I need to take my workouts up a step.  I've been going too leisurely lately.  I did do a slow walk with a big incline last time we went to the gym but I need to increase the sustained elevated heartbeat stuff.   I'm hoping this will help.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Can anyone see the eclipse?  It's too cloudy here.

Yes! We were up too late.

7 hours ago, Spirea said:

Do you all pronounce it the same? Outsider wondering if it's boo-yeah, boo-yah, or boo-yuh..?

To my understanding the #noh rhymes with to the, whereas the wrong people rhyme it with ooh yeah.

6 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning, Happy Monday.  

I'm sorry I know the Queen loves it, but it is NOT MY FAVORITE DAY.  

Ugh.

It is my favorite day because we are the mose efficient.

2 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I bought a new fitness tracker with a heartbeat monitor.  I need to take my workouts up a step.  I've been going too leisurely lately.  I did do a slow walk with a big incline last time we went to the gym but I need to increase the sustained elevated heartbeat stuff.   I'm hoping this will help.  

I have a Garmin. I had one a decade ago and absolutely loved it. I switched to Fitbit to have friends, but it is is just nowhere near as good of a product, so when it broke I switched back. I have been through 3 Fitbits in 3 years. Matt broke his Garmin in a work accident and we believe it saved his wrist from breaking, but he wears my 10 year old one and it works and look like new.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

To my understanding the #noh rhymes with to the, whereas the wrong people rhyme it with ooh yeah.

I pronounce it boo-yuh.  There was some tv show where a character used to say it and I pronounce it the way he did.    Okay, so I was picturing something like Seinfeld and it evidently came from Teen Titans cartoons.  

Okay further study reveals it was gang code and it rap music in the 90's and in Jerry McGuire (the movie).  

It is my favorite day because we are the mose efficient.

I have a Garmin. I had one a decade ago and absolutely loved it. I switched to Fitbit to have friends, but it is is just nowhere near as good of a product, so when it broke I switched back. I have been through 3 Fitbits in 3 years. Matt broke his Garmin in a work accident and we believe it saved his wrist from breaking, but he wears my 10 year old one and it works and look like new.

I bought an AmazFit.  It was pretty inexpensive but got very good reviews on multiple sites, including Consumer Reports.   

My Fitbit was okay but I had a low price point one that didn't have a heartbeat monitor.  They also seem to stop holding a charge well fairly quickly.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ellie said:

Pretty sure we pronounce it the same, although we haven't had a meet-up to check it out in person. Boo YAH. Or BOO-yah. But it's definitely a "yah" and not a "yuh."

I pronounce it boo-yuh.  But not due to any serious study of linguistics.  That's just what comes out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not much on the calendar today. I finished my ESL shift at 8 this morning, am prepping for a Zumbini class, then we'll leave for Gymnast's  violin lesson. Later today, she has an audition to get a spot on the regular Prelude String Orchestra. Apparently, PSO 1 (which she was in) didn't actually exist, but was created because of COVID and inability to run things the way they were. So, audition, she shall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

***EDPO!!!***EDPO!!!***EDPO!!!***

This also means subject change for me.

I bought stuff. R&S Reading (previous edition reader with TM) to do as oral reading and discussion with Oldest. My plan is still to do the Notgrass literature, too. And if I can make myself read/finish reading King Arthur and Robin Hood, I might also buy MP as previously mentioned. I figure this way he'll have plenty to read both orally and silently with plenty of opportunities to discuss.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I am still trying to figure out the barking thing. I really thought I'd get it by now, but I clearly wasn't here for something and don't have the time to go back and read read read until I find it. Enlighten me, ITT.

Jean is putting bark mulch on her flower beds around her home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Jean is putting bark mulch on her flower beds around her home.

I had a feeling it was something like this, but I never know here. ITT has some unconventional names for things. (afsa, orange tower of doom, banishing the goat, ect...)

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

I ate chocolate so now I’m hyper. I gave a bunch to all my kids, too. They aren’t bouncing, though.

I’m about to put Little Man in the kids’ bath rub so I can clean the rest of the bathroom without him wandering around.

Decided not to clean. I’m tired now. Sugar crash!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting this business going has been more tiresome, time consuming and expensive than we had imagined. It feels exactly like climbing a mountain. You get all of your stuff ready to climb the mountain, you follow the checklist made by all the brilliant people who went before you and succeeded and do everything that you were supposed to do. For some unknown reason everything goes wrong that morning, and it always does, so you start late. You make good time, you work really hard, you feel like you've got it, and eventually, you can see the top. But when you get there you realize that's not the top, you just couldn't see the top behind where you are now. So you're able to take an assessment of your energy levels the supplies that you still have, even without looking in your bag and know that you can make it to the top, so you start going again. You can see the top, you think it's only going to take an hour, you've got the stuff, you're all good. But it wasn't one hour, it was three, and guess what. It's not the top. Now you're actually digging through your bag to make sure you have enough to get through, looking at the time and thinking about how many hours late you're going to be home. That's where we are now. I know what happens next. We see another top. I know it's not the top, but it looks like it. Getting there is going to be filled with blood sweat and tears. We don't know if we have the supplies, and we don't know if we have the energy, but we don't feel like we can give up now. We're not going to be home until after dark. We are going to be sick and we're going to be hungry and the kids are going to be upset that we were out so late, but in the end we will have made it. I just keep looking at the Disney World wallpaper on my phone thinking someday we are going to make it. We will take the kids, we will take them to restaurants, we will buy them souvenirs, and we will have made it. My husband will only work full-time, he will be home every night for dinner and we will have made it.

I have so much to do this week. I just made Mandarin chicken salad and now I'm taking an Epsom salt bath!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I ordered take-out (super rare for us). When I got there, not only was my order not ready but they had no clue what or where my order was. I scrolled through my phone and realized that when I googled the phone number, I unknowingly called and placed my order at the wrong location in another state with a town of the same name. 🤦

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I ordered take-out (super rare for us). When I got there, not only was my order not ready but they had no clue what or where my order was. I scrolled through my phone and realized that when I googled the phone number, I unknowingly called and placed my order at the wrong location in another state with a town of the same name. 🤦

See the humor- see the humor. It happens.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

Getting this business going has been more tiresome, time consuming and expensive than we had imagined. It feels exactly like climbing a mountain. You get all of your stuff ready to climb the mountain, you follow the checklist made by all the brilliant people who went before you and succeeded and do everything that you were supposed to do. For some unknown reason everything goes wrong that morning, and it always does, so you start late. You make good time, you work really hard, you feel like you've got it, and eventually, you can see the top. But when you get there you realize that's not the top, you just couldn't see the top behind where you are now. So you're able to take an assessment of your energy levels the supplies that you still have, even without looking in your bag and know that you can make it to the top, so you start going again. You can see the top, you think it's only going to take an hour, you've got the stuff, you're all good. But it wasn't one hour, it was three, and guess what. It's not the top. Now you're actually digging through your bag to make sure you have enough to get through, looking at the time and thinking about how many hours late you're going to be home. That's where we are now. I know what happens next. We see another top. I know it's not the top, but it looks like it. Getting there is going to be filled with blood sweat and tears. We don't know if we have the supplies, and we don't know if we have the energy, but we don't feel like we can give up now. We're not going to be home until after dark. We are going to be sick and we're going to be hungry and the kids are going to be upset that we were out so late, but in the end we will have made it. I just keep looking at the Disney World wallpaper on my phone thinking someday we are going to make it. We will take the kids, we will take them to restaurants, we will buy them souvenirs, and we will have made it. My husband will only work full-time, he will be home every night for dinner and we will have made it.

I have so much to do this week. I just made Mandarin chicken salad and now I'm taking an Epsom salt bath!

Slache, my family is praying for yours. I have no other words of wisdom.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

At least you get a bath. And mandarin chicken salad sounds good too!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oldest dd and I went out to dinner and a movie tonight.  We ate at Chipotle and then saw Everything Everywhere All At Once.   It was an......interesting movie.   Extremely weird.  I knew the basic premise so I figured it would be a little strange, but it went in directions I definitely did not expect.   Came out of it not sure what to think even after it was over.  It was interesting, and entertaining, but the kind of movie where you're not completely sure you liked it.  I think I did.  But it was so different and weird saying I "liked" it doesn't seem like it says enough.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I...kinda did the same thing. I made a pick up order with a store, drove up like I usually do, and found out I had sent the order to a different store. 🤦🏾‍♀️

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Sorry bout that.  Couldn't resist.  (((Slachey)))  You have come so far.  Don't lose hope.

I'm not losing hope. The post was supposed to be uplifting. Climbing a mountain is hard! But it's doable.

• Like 4

I like night sounds. Crickets. Cars in the distance. A dog barking. 
I’m sitting out in the backyard. I need to go in and kiss people good-night, but it’s nice sitting out here. We have lights strung up around the patio and they make such a nice light. Not too bright, but bright enough.  And itKs a pleasant warm light.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Little Man fell asleep on my bed around 4. Guess who has now decided it is time to be awake? Dh is sleeping upstairs so Mommy gets no sleep tonight. Good thing my phone connects to my ears so I can listen to movies while he hopefully goes back to sleep.

• Like 4

Go seep widdle man!

My brain is not tired yet because I am irritated at the scout master who apparently hasn't read the bsa eagle project guidelines and also irritated because the leadership is just...not there.  The leaders who are experienced in some matters should be guiding those who are not experienced.  But alas, ds is supposed to be leaving for New Mexico in 2 months and there still are no plans in place to get the crew there.  They are considering taking a train. 🙄 For heaven's sake just put on your big boy pants and rent a van!  Surely 4 adult drivers can manage a 17 hour drive!  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Anyone know anything about selling jewelry?  It's not worth much, but it was given to the camp as a donation and now I need to convert it into cash.  It's a charm bracelet and charms that go with it.  Would a pawn shop be even interested in it?  Or one of those gold and coin places?  I need someone to go with me and hold my hand because I will be embarrassed if they laugh at it and tell me to just donate it to Goodwill. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Anyone know anything about selling jewelry?  It's not worth much, but it was given to the camp as a donation and now I need to convert it into cash.  It's a charm bracelet and charms that go with it.  Would a pawn shop be even interested in it?  Or one of those gold and coin places?  I need someone to go with me and hold my hand because I will be embarrassed if they laugh at it and tell me to just donate it to Goodwill. 

Call your local jewelry store. Ask if they can give you an idea of it's approximate value before you sell it. A pawnshop and the like won't tell you what it's worth because their job is to get it from you as cheaply as possible.

• Like 1

Good morning!

Why am I awake already?

Servie, that's a good idea about the jewelry.

I may take the girls to the rec center today.  Ds17 has a cello lesson.  I don't think he's practiced all week, but I'm letting it slide. I'm not sure yet what we are going to do about lessons going forward.  

Coffee!

• Like 5

I know way too much about jewelry, thanks to my grandma. I'd love to know what style it is. The type with dangling charms on a chain style bracelet aren't easy to come by now because of the Pandora style trend. This can be a double edge sword when trying to sell it, though.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

EdPo:

@Green Bean Do you use the MP lit guide student books or just the teacher guides? Looks pretty easy to skip the student book unless I'm missing something. 

I started reading. I wondered how this version would go about telling how King Arthur was conceived and then given to Merlin. Now I know. They go about it quickly! 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Go seep widdle man!

My brain is not tired yet because I am irritated at the scout master who apparently hasn't read the bsa eagle project guidelines and also irritated because the leadership is just...not there.  The leaders who are experienced in some matters should be guiding those who are not experienced.  But alas, ds is supposed to be leaving for New Mexico in 2 months and there still are no plans in place to get the crew there.  They are considering taking a train. 🙄 For heaven's sake just put on your big boy pants and rent a van!  Surely 4 adult drivers can manage a 17 hour drive!  

If I, by myself, can drive 12 hours, they can do 17.  Trains can get expensive! And if they want to rent, they'll need to reserve early. They are getting hard to come by.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Why am I awake already?

Servie, that's a good idea about the jewelry.

I may take the girls to the rec center today.  Ds17 has a cello lesson.  I don't think he's practiced all week, but I'm letting it slide. I'm not sure yet what we are going to do about lessons going forward.  

Coffee!

Gymnast rarely practices. I don't know what to do about her. She like to play, but not the work. She could have finished Suzuki book 1 a long time ago. Her summer homework is to work on that. She started Minuet 1 back in October, but made little progress due to orchestra (well, that's the excuse. She just doesn't practice enough). So, she's starting from there, while reviewing prior songs. I found a Spanish-speaking Suzuki violin teacher on Preply, who is currently studying at a music school in Austria. Gymnast will be working with her.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

@Green Bean Do you use the MP lit guide student books or just the teacher guides? Looks pretty easy to skip the student book unless I'm missing something. 

I started reading. I wondered how this version would go about telling how King Arthur was conceived and then given to Merlin. Now I know. They go about it quickly! 

I don’t have time to answer this right now, but I will get back to you today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Call your local jewelry store. Ask if they can give you an idea of it's approximate value before you sell it. A pawnshop and the like won't tell you what it's worth because their job is to get it from you as cheaply as possible.

I thought that you had to pay for an appraisal?  I know from googling, how much the bracelet costs new. I don’t think that it has increased in value. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I thought that you had to pay for an appraisal?  I know from googling, how much the bracelet costs new. I don’t think that it has increased in value. 

An appraisal is for putting insurance on it. I was referring to just making sure you aren't deceived when selling it, but looks like you've already done your homework.👍 

I've had to take items to my local jeweler just to verify whether it's real and at what purity because it wasn't discernable on the actual piece of jewelry.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2