• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I wish we all lived in the same town.  Girls Night Out would be SO.FREAKING.AWESOME.

Hawaii.  The plan is we all meet in Hawaii, as soon as Queen Ellie tells us it's all set up.  We can have our girls' night out with HULA....

• Like 4

If that's what that thread was about I'm glad I missed it.  I glanced through the other, and it was getting rather heated.  Back to this thread.  I like this thread.

I had to scold the kids today and remind them it's not a good day to try my patience when I have already told them I am irritated over other stuff.  We had two history lectures today, one which they like and one which I like.  I let them have theirs first and even cooked and served up lunch while theirs was playing.  Then, when I could sit down and eat and watch mine, they clowned around noisily and kept distracting me from my lecture.  :mad:

I also vented at length here and then deleted it because it was mainly self-pitying whininess.  I needed the vent, but now I need fun and silly.  Time to check for new posts since my last one.  What silliness are you getting up to today? :willy_nilly:

You ladies never disappoint!  Such grand silliness!  I'm grinning again, and even had to tell DD11 to let me continue reading.  She was having too much fun with Chicken Soup and AK Kitty....

Silly?  We are not silly.  We are serious, classical homeschoolers.  I am deeply offended. 

Just so you know:  I am ignoring your post.

On with the silliness!

I've offended loads of people on the hive haha, sometimes on purpose but mostly by accident and then I feel badly.  Usually due to a miscommunication, like they thought I was saying something other than I was because I did not word a post right etc.  It's funny irl I am thought to be wise-ish, and people come to me asking for advice etc, but on the hive I sound like a dimwit, and can't get my thoughts out on screen properly and don't use the huge vocabulary that others us etc.

THat's partly why I like this thread.  There is no pretension, I don't feel like I have to have 3 degrees to be part of the conversation, I'm not witty with a comeback for everything, and not that smart but ya'll seem to take me as I come, which is all anyone can hope for.

Me too for the bolded.  I've had nothing interesting or witty to post lately even by ITT's standards. 

But, honestly, I am not thick-skinned.  I think everyone should just be nice.  I think I'm going to be the "church-lady" in my old age - or maybe even before then. 

• Like 4

You ladies never disappoint!  Such grand silliness!  I'm grinning again, and even had to tell DD11 to let me continue reading.  She was having too much fun with Chicken Soup and AK Kitty....

Argh!

I'm out of likes so I need to get back to work. 

Thankfully, it's a slow day today. :)

• Like 1

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I SO crack myself up! 

(See AMJ?  You don't need others to make yourself laugh; just be a psycho like me! :wacko: :wacko: )

( I :wub:  that :wacko:  guy.)

You really are wonderful.  :wub:   :ph34r:    :biggrinjester:

• Like 1

You really are wonderful.  :wub:   :ph34r:    :biggrinjester:

Okay, 10 seems to be the limit on emoticons, and it includes the ones in the quotes.  Just so you all know.

• Like 2

Can they go up and down? I wouldn't stand all day.

Many of them can.  For others folks get tall chairs with footrests so they can choose when to sit and when to stand.

Ikslo, if you do get a standing desk I highly recommend also getting a high-quality gel mat to stand on.  I have a WellnessMat in my kitchen, and it is dreamy!  Really helps my knees when holiday cooking time comes around.

• Like 2

Which one did you get?

A "Pivotal Tracker 1".  I don't know how to use it yet.  The instructions are in super tiny print on a small card.  I really do have to wear reading glasses to read it.

I just learned there is a limit to the number of emoticons you can use.  I think it's 10.  If I knew that before, I forgot.

Okay, 10 seems to be the limit on emoticons, and it includes the ones in the quotes.  Just so you all know.

I knew that. :)

• Like 1

Dh has thought about this too. Instead he has some sort of app that stops him a pre-set times and reminds him it's time to get up and go stretch/walk/exercise.

Workplace ergonomic software of some sort.  The place I worked at tended to like Office Athlete, but the all-time best one I've ever come across was WorkPace.  While we were running a trial of that all of my ergonomic issues receded into the distance.  For me I think the key was their version of a "microbreak" -- 5-10 seconds every 5 minutes or so during which the program would freeze your computer keyboard.  You were to completely relax your arms and hands during that time -- completely.  Let them go limp.  Then when the timer finished you can resume work.

5-10 seconds was short enough to allow workers to just pause but not forget their train of thought or where they were in their work.  The frequency of the breaks, combined with letting your arms and hands go completely limp, reduced the build-up of strain in the muscles, allowing for longer work periods with less discomfort, and a greater reduction in RSI problems overall.

There were other reminders, too, including breaks to get up and actually walk around.  They had ergonomic exercises, too, to warm up, cool down, and generally work out kinks if they develop.  I loved having it back when I was working 7.5-8 hours per day on the computer.

• Like 2

I meant pale (white), but I'm fat too. I'm starting P90X in a few weeks along with a whole 30. Care to join?

Let me know how you are doing and I'll fake it on this end.  I know the things I need to change in my diet -- I just need to pay attention and do it.  My problem foods are fresh dairy, soy, and added sugars/sweeteners -- if I minimize these I do so much better.  As for exercise -- I have some knee problems so I have to watch what and how I do so I don't make matters worse.

But I'll root you on, and maybe it will kick me into gear to get going, too!

What I do is watch through it the first time, then follow along after.

Some things I can do this (Linda Arkin yoga) and some I can't.  If it's too engaging to look at I'll just watch.

I'm a moth, I guess.  A ninja elephant moth.

• Like 2

My avatar is a self-portrait my son did.

He calls it "Self Portrait #2"

But I am flattered you picture me as skinny as an 8 yo boy. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I remember you saying something like this before.  But it is my image of you, just like Renai and her twisties and Tex and her shoes.  So you are that beanpole-ish to me.

• Like 1

Cto5K app plus the 100 pushups app are both free. I like to make a weeks worth of roasted brussels sprouts with bacon on Sunday and eat them all week. I put diced spinach, tomatoes, and mozzarella in my quinoa usually. Serve cold.

Oooo, sounds good!  Do you eat your leftover brussels sprouts cold, too?

You have no idea. The kitchen and the bedroom are my areas of expertise and I'm fabulous in both.

Well, I'll only ask for recipes for ONE of those rooms.  Not both. 

• Like 2

I've offended loads of people on the hive haha, sometimes on purpose but mostly by accident and then I feel badly.  Usually due to a miscommunication, like they thought I was saying something other than I was because I did not word a post right etc.  It's funny irl I am thought to be wise-ish, and people come to me asking for advice etc, but on the hive I sound like a dimwit, and can't get my thoughts out on screen properly and don't use the huge vocabulary that others us etc.

THat's partly why I like this thread.  There is no pretension, I don't feel like I have to have 3 degrees to be part of the conversation, I'm not witty with a comeback for everything, and not that smart but ya'll seem to take me as I come, which is all anyone can hope for.

I'm witty.  It's pretty much my only party trick.   :D  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I'm good at this. What do you want to do or like doing? What motivates you?

I know we've been through this over 100 pages ago, but my problem is just getting started. I have Leslie Sansone and Jillian Michaels on my shelf. When I just want to feel like I've done something, I'll do the walking with LS, anywhere from 1-5 miles. I like to hike, but we haven't been to the mountains in a long time. The trails are not far from here, either. Zumba doesn't start up until the fall, and the one I attend is only 8 weeks in the fall and the summer. I keep thinking I should find another zumba class to join. I do enjoy that. 

• Like 1

I'm witty.  It's pretty much my only party trick.   :D  (And I have two degrees, but I don't pull them out as often as I could.)

I have one degree with no real marketable value, and decades of experience.  The first doesn't get used much, except as an example to others of how to really rack up large amounts of student loan debt and have little to show for it.

• Like 2

I know we've been through this over 100 pages ago, but my problem is just getting started. I have Leslie Sansone and Jillian Michaels on my shelf. When I just want to feel like I've done something, I'll do the walking with LS, anywhere from 1-5 miles. I like to hike, but we haven't been to the mountains in a long time. The trails are not far from here, either. Zumba doesn't start up until the fall, and the one I attend is only 8 weeks in the fall and the summer. I keep thinking I should find another zumba class to join. I do enjoy that. 

We have Wii Fit at home, and it does little for us.  We figured out too quickly that for the "running" all you really have to do is shake the hand holding the remote up and down a lot.

• Like 3

But, honestly, I am not thick-skinned.  I think everyone should just be nice.  I think I'm going to be the "church-lady" in my old age - or maybe even before then. 

I KNOW, RIGHT???

I have to go get backyard chicken eggs from the neighbor and will be back to play soon.

• Like 2

I have one degree with no real marketable value, and decades of experience.  The first doesn't get used much, except as an example to others of how to really rack up large amounts of student loan debt and have little to show for it.

My two degrees,  many years of experience, and license guarantee that I can get a job at any moment making less than a beginning teacher with only an undergrad.  Nice.  I have chosen well.  :D

• Like 4

I KNOW, RIGHT???

I have to go get backyard chicken eggs from the neighbor and will be back to play soon.

If the shells are thin what is missing from the chicken's diet?  My FIL & MIL have neighbors who have gotten into chicken raising, and now we get free chicken eggs.  Some of them are coming in with alarmingly thin shells, however.  I figured one of their chickens might not be getting something she needs, but I don't know what.

My two degrees,  many years of experience, and license guarantee that I can get a job at any moment making less than a beginning teacher with only an undergrad.  Nice.  I have chosen well.   :D

And yet the world would end without people like us.

• Like 3

A "Pivotal Tracker 1".  I don't know how to use it yet.  The instructions are in super tiny print on a small card.  I really do have to wear reading glasses to read it.

I'm unfamiliar with it. Here's mine. The magic is in the app. Plugging in all of my info and allowing it to monitor the outcome is how it found out and informed me that:

I still sleepwalk. A LOT.

If I have caffeine after 8AM I sleep incorrectly.

I spend 4 hours a night laying in bed awake (my Jawbone has helped me change that to 45 minutes and my life has drastically improved).

Yogurt puts me in a bad mood and discourages me from working out.   :huh:

If I don't work out on Monday I won't work out more than 2 days that week.

If I go 3 days in a row without working out I don't sleep correctly.

My diet was much worse than I thought. But not anymore.  ;)

Let me know how you are doing and I'll fake it on this end.  I know the things I need to change in my diet -- I just need to pay attention and do it.  My problem foods are fresh dairy, soy, and added sugars/sweeteners -- if I minimize these I do so much better.  As for exercise -- I have some knee problems so I have to watch what and how I do so I don't make matters worse.

But I'll root you on, and maybe it will kick me into gear to get going, too!

P90X. Best workout ever put on DVD. Not the hardest or the one with the best results, but with the most variation and with whole health in mind. Tony has knee problems. He wears a brace, but he invented the workout so that anyone could do it. Whole30. To quote myself from a few days ago:

I'm not disciplined enough to just stop eating ice cream and candy. If I have a diet with specific rules that I only have to follow for a month then I will break my bad eating habits. You could say I have depression and I abuse food the way that some people abuse drugs or alcohol. The whole 30 is like a detox program. I'm not trying to belittle drug addiction. That's so much bigger than anything I've ever faced, but food does have a hold over me and if I were to just "eat better" then I would cheat more and more frequently until I had a poor diet. If I can get over the addiction then I can have a candy bar one day without needing another the next. 

Oooo, sounds good!  Do you eat your leftover brussels sprouts cold, too?

Nope. They microwave well.

Well, I'll only ask for recipes for ONE of those rooms.  Not both. 

I like the book tickle his pickle. That's not a kitchen one.

What's a soy pobre, and why do you need a ticket for it?

I need someone to buy my ticket to Hawaii.

If I can be your mother here...

Option 1: Go walking every day and try to eat really well. When the summer is nearing an end I think you should look into something more serious. You have too much going on right now.

Option 2: Pick a workout program, get up an hour earlier and do it before anyone else is up. You'll be more energized and well rested so you won't mind the loss of sleep.

I think you will regret trying to add something in throughout he day.

Soy pobre means "I'm poor." She's wanting to bum off someone to buy her ticket cuz she's broke.

I think that means I'd have to pay them back so no that's not what I'm getting at.

We have Wii Fit at home, and it does little for us.  We figured out too quickly that for the "running" all you really have to do is shake the hand holding the remote up and down a lot.

Fitness fail.

• Like 1

If I can be your mother here...

Option 1: Go walking every day and try to eat really well. When the summer is nearing an end I think you should look into something more serious. You have too much going on right now.

Option 2: Pick a workout program, get up an hour earlier and do it before anyone else is up. You'll be more energized and well rested so you won't mind the loss of sleep.

I think you will regret trying to add something in throughout he day.

I think that means I'd have to pay them back so no that's not what I'm getting at.

Fitness fail.

I wish I could like each of these separately, but alas I cannot.

Option 2 should be what I do. I am currently waking up between 5-6 anyway; I could use that time productively instead of forcing myself to go back to sleep...

I was not trying to insult you. If I had the money, you could totally bum off of me and not have to pay me back :D. As it is, yo tambien soy pobre.

I wish I could like each of these separately, but alas I cannot.

Option 2 should be what I do. I am currently waking up between 5-6 anyway; I could use that time productively instead of forcing myself to go back to sleep...

I was not trying to insult you. If I had the money, you could totally bum off of me and not have to pay me back :D. As it is, yo tambien soy pobre.

You should start Monday. And don't volunteer for that thing. I'm the queen of putting myself first for the sake of being a better mom. I learned that lesson the hard way. Just this morning I stuck two cranky, sticky kids in front of the television so that I could get a shower by myself. After taking a shower I felt much better and had the energy to really play with them, really feed them well, and really take care of them the way they needed me to when they didn't feel well. If I had put them first, bathed them first, and fed them first I would have been going in slow motion, been cranky, and probably not treated them very well. I used to put my kids first and I was cranky all the time. I was exhausted. Moms need to be taken care of. I know that sounds backwards, but it's so true.
  • Like 3

I think I really want to decline the district offer, but am scared there is nothing else in the works at the moment.

What does God want you to do? Maybe you should talk it over with your husband. I'm sorry if that was the wrong thing to say, just throwing ideas out there. :)

• Like 1

I'm finally caught up reading though the posts.  :hurray:

I'm enjoying the multilingual aspect this thread is offering!  :laugh:  It's too funny that even on a thread about nothing, you ladies still manage to bring in something educational. 

Here's a fitness tip: get two dogs that you have to walk separately 2 - 3 time a day. That'll get your step count up. My life is going to suck when the bleepin' cold weather returns and I have to walk the beasties in the freezing wind and snow.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

If the shells are thin what is missing from the chicken's diet?  My FIL & MIL have neighbors who have gotten into chicken raising, and now we get free chicken eggs.  Some of them are coming in with alarmingly thin shells, however.  I figured one of their chickens might not be getting something she needs, but I don't know what.

I think it is calcium, and they can feed the shells back to the chickens.  Ewwww.