• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Before I go one step further in my catch-up….

(((Tex and Nan and Christina and Slache)))

Not really all as one group, because that would be a bit awkward, maybe??  But I just hung at Starbucks with my BFF, SWB, for the last hour and a half so I've got a lot to catch up on and can only type in so many parentheses.   ;)

Seriously,  hugs to you all. 

Thank you!!! I'm here reading the last ten pages as I have missed out on them with being sick and working.

• Like 1

This is LOL.

This is Whoa.

Thankfully dd knows not to grab anyone's boobs. She used to grab her sister's when I wasn't available, but we had to let her know that sissy doesn't have what she wanted.

In other news, dd (almost 4.5) is going a couple days each without nursing to sleep. Finally. Sometimes, she's just so tired that she falls asleep while I'm doing homework, and so doesn't get any. But, she does remember the next morning that she didn't get any. I have a "use it or lose it" policy with breastmilk, and if she didn't get it at night, she has to wait until the next night.

And finally I admit that yes, I nurse my 4yo. Fire away.

If you have the supply then you have the choice.  No one gets to tell you otherwise, except maybe the kid.

I never had that luxury.  Not enough milk, problems with latch-on, unending mastitis with the first one.  Lots and lots of effort augmented by a breast pump (at work) and supplemented with formula.  I barely managed to eke out 6 months with each kid.  On the up side, it was enough to get my b00ks (as DH likes to euphemistically refer to them) all saggy and droopy.  Yes, this is an up-side.  Before lactation I had very lumpy, small breasts and it was very hard to get a decent mammogram image of them.  Now it is easy peasy.  With my family history of breast cancer this is a real issue.

• Like 1

Before I go one step further in my catch-up….

(((Tex and Nan and Christina and Slache)))

Not really all as one group, because that would be a bit awkward, maybe??  But I just hung at Starbucks with my BFF, SWB, for the last hour and a half so I've got a lot to catch up on and can only type in so many parentheses.   ;)

Seriously,  hugs to you all. 

I misread that as you hugged at Starbuck's.  I was picturing you accosting everyone standing in line with great big bear hugs.  :laugh:

• Like 1

What's really fun is to be 8 months pregnant in June the year that the 7-year AND the 13-year cicadas came out (1998). I typically ran yelping through the parking lot to get to my OB appts with the cicadas swarming and buzzing around my head. Probably should have filmed it.

:scared:   This gave me images of you taking refuge in a glass phone booth, trying to get away from crazed, bird-sized cicadas.

I'm going to have to do the math, now that you so thoughtfully provided me with a reference year.  I hadn't heard about those cicada cycles, but some years (including recently) the cicadas seem so LOUD ALL OF THE TIME.  I'll have to track the cycles now.

Homeschooling and working outside of the home is not an easy task especially if you are the only one doing the teaching.

The truth you speak, wise one.

It's a good thing my DH doesn't care whether or not I dust regularly.  M-F it is work, teach, sleep, repeat.  Ain't nobody got time for that cleaning stuff.

• Like 2

That was dd1, right around 10 months. Cold turkey. Someone please say ouch. At the end of the week, when I was completely full, she nursed one last time and emptied me and that was the end. Hindsight thinks I had a diminishing supply and wasn't giving her enough so she quit trying. :(

This was my problem. They even tried having me work with a lactation consultant throughout the  first few months.

It seemed no matter what I did I just never had a let down after the first few swallows of my dc nursing. I always felt

empty. It made me sad because I wanted to nurse more than the six months to a year that I did.

John wants to do everything differently for school. He wants to change *everything*. I'm considering taking the opportunity to do something more formal. He's memorized the first 26 phonograms so we can start spelling words. He wants a break from cuisionare rods too. I have the AL Abacus and activities guide and I want to start the zoo book openhearted(?) mentioned. Would you do something formal with a 4 year old? Maybe 45 minutes a day? It's currently about 20 and "math" is usually me telling him to do something and him doing something more fun. At the time I wasn't worried about instilling a bad habit, but now I'm nervous.

Eta: I'm going to start a thread about this at nap time me thinks.

What bad habits are you concerned about instilling?  

If he is eager to do more formal stuff, I would follow his lead.  I would not push in any way.  Having fun and playing around with cuisenaire rods and games and such is more important than formal school.

• Like 1

What bad habits are you concerned about instilling?

If he is eager to do more formal stuff, I would follow his lead. I would not push in any way. Having fun and playing around with cuisenaire rods and games and such is more important than formal school.

Allowing him to do whatever he wants. He doesn't want to play with c-rods anymore and I fear the AL Abacus Guide will progress too quickly. I can't link, but my thread is on the pre-k k board.

Allowing him to do whatever he wants. He doesn't want to play with c-rods anymore and I fear the AL Abacus Guide will progress too quickly. I can't link, but my thread is on the pre-k k board.

Allowing him to set the pace at 4 academically will not set up a bad habit for the future, IMO and IME.  At 4, he should be doing what he wants, and school should be enjoyable.

Answering here cuz I'm here.  :)

• Like 2

I'm a Singapore user.  Do you hate Singapore?  I forget.  lol  In any case, the SM Kindy book (Essentials, I think?) has a lot of pre-K ish stuff.  It is easy, simple and enjoyable.  There are two different SM kindy books.  Get the one with the colored pictures if you are interested.

• Like 2

I'm a Singapore user. Do you hate Singapore? I forget. lol In any case, the SM Kindy book (Essentials, I think?) has a lot of pre-K ish stuff. It is easy, simple and enjoyable. There are two different SM kindy books. Get the one with the colored pictures if you are interested.

I don't want to use Singapore.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/553385-4yo-wants-to-change-everything-help/

I read the I have no idea what version years ago and I would really like to read the Tolkien one now. I will eventually.

We are doing half of the Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature this summer so I got the translation that goes along with the study.

We are doing half of the Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature this summer so I got the translation that goes along with the study.

I've looked into their guides. I'm nervous about all of that junior high/high school edgumication stuff. I imagine I won't be so intimidated when I get there.

I've looked into their guides. I'm nervous about all of that junior high/high school edgumication stuff. I imagine I won't be so intimidated when I get there.

I found the guide on clearance at Half Price Books and went "OOOOOHHH" and then put it in the rotation.  I'd never heard of it so it was a chance encounter.

For me, elementary is fun, middle school is work, and high school is scary.  Really, no matter what folks tell you.  It can be done because a lot of people do it, but it is still intimidating.  Kind of like childbirth has been done by a lot of people, but it is intimidating, too.  I will have two in 9th grade next year so this is my first run at it.  I don't actually know what it means to "do high school", but I do feel a responsibility resting on me that I did not feel before.

• Like 1

I found the guide on clearance at Half Price Books and went "OOOOOHHH" and then put it in the rotation.  I'd never heard of it so it was a chance encounter.

For me, elementary is fun, middle school is work, and high school is scary.  Really, no matter what folks tell you.  It can be done because a lot of people do it, but it is still intimidating.  Kind of like childbirth has been done by a lot of people, but it is intimidating, too.  I will have two in 9th grade next year so this is my first run at it.  I don't actually know what it means to "do high school", but I do feel a responsibility resting on me that I did not feel before.

Thanks for the reassurance.

• Like 4

I learned it differently :) :

A peanut sat on a railroad track

His heart was all aflutter

Along came a choo choo train

Splat! Peanut butter!

(I like my version better since the verb tenses are consistent. Just sayin'.)

I taught my DS this when we were having a discussion about train safety. LOL He's allergic to peanuts so he just liked the part where the stupid peanut got squashed.

Eooey gooey was a worm,

A little worm was he

One day he crossed the railway tracks

The train, he did not see

Eooey Gooey!!!!!!

• Like 3

I think it may have passed by in the creek with the rest of the mail.

I have some on hand I forgot to send to a friend of mine in another state.  She can wait.  I'll send it to you.

• Like 1

:scared:

Okay, so I take time off of the thread to let my heart recover from my mommy leaving me, to get caught up with work, and to, you know, educate my child.

And now the thread is full of strangers.

:wacko:

Well, someone had to take up your slack.

• Like 2

It being summer, my kids have all been making the rounds to the dentist (a new one for our family). My 6yo was the last to go today, having been told all about the nice dentist lady and the tooth pictures and "Mr. Slurpie" who sucks out all the water. When we got back home from the appointment, dd6 said rather pointedly, "Mr. Slurpie *wasn't* a person."

!?!

Poor girl - she'd been worried all that time...I am such a bad mom! Ugh.

:lol: :lol:

All of this talk of dentists reminded me -- did I miss our dentist appointments?!?  *check calendar*  Nope, we are good.  My appointment is this coming Friday, and the kids' appointments are in a couple of weeks. *phew*

For shame! Get thee to thy kitchen, woman, and make a dang pie! 

My problem making pie is that I learned how to knead bread long before anyone taught me about pie crust.  When I roll it out if I flub up I tend to wad it up and roll it out all over again.  I've turned out some really chewy pies....

Completely.  

Bonus to cleaning out stuff - finding lost items and also finding chocolate people forgot they had.  I did share with the kids.

I did manage to empty a file box today and throw away nearly all of the contents.  I worked on another box, too, but only got rid of half of those contents.  Still, it's progress!

• Like 1

:lol: :lol:

All of this talk of dentists reminded me -- did I miss our dentist appointments?!?  *check calendar*  Nope, we are good.  My appointment is this coming Friday, and the kids' appointments are in a couple of weeks. *phew*

I missed a dentist appointment this year.  My dentist decided to switch from tried and true phone call reminders to text reminders.  The receptionist was quite surprised that I did not have txting on my phone.  It never occurred to them that the three text reminders sent to me didn't actually go through.  I mean, their computer shows I was sent reminders.  :)  Then I showed her my phone.  I think she genuinely feels sorry for me now.  :mellow:

At any rate, I missed the appointment.  TXT or not, I should have recorded the appointment.  So I told them they should bill me the no show and I wouldn't fight it.  But then, like I said, she saw my phone...no fee!

And now I am set up for email reminders instead.  Apparently they didn't have my email in their system.  Which is weird since I've had the same email since college back in the 90's. 

• Like 2

2 things, first Tex send that rain this way, we are in a drought, the crops are barely in the ground and not going to do well at this rate, my province is on fire everywhere we need rain so freaking badly right now.

secondly, I am a rock star, though it took long enough.  So 2 years ago ds16 broke 1 pane out of nine on my front door, last year ds 11 broke another.  Doors are expensive so we made do without replacing it.  It is a small town all you had to do to unlock my door was reach in a broken pane and yet no one did.  Over the winter my storm door swelled in the cold and would no longer shut.  So we had a crazy long winter and cold not properly block out the cold.  Not fun.  Yesterday my ds11 came into the house, shut the storm door (which started shutting again once the weather got warm) and it literally fell apart.  It is a wooden door that is at least 40- 50 years old, the bottom section popped inwards off the rest of the door, the glass of the window fell out, and the sides of the door were coming apart.  I was now in a panic because it meant having absolutely no screen door and the broken windows and mosquitoes were getting in, the cats brought a dead mouse in etc.  I vent to my mom about it, planned to buy a new door next week but wanted to vent about needing to at all.  SHe ticked me off with her comments which were less than helpful.  THis morning I wake up and realize I am a dumba$$, 2 years ago ds11 took the door off the garage (the people door), it had been laying in the garage ever since.  Had him haul it out today, I measured it and it was a perfect fit! and I still had the key for it from back then.  SO I took off the door with the broken panes and installed this heavy duty aluminum door, and now that I am home from work again just took off the broken storm door and hauled it out for bulk pick up.  No more broken doors, full protection from everything.  I have no clue why it never occurred to me before to use that door.  Would have made winter a little warmer.

So now that we have a door that shuts out the elements you can send that rain here.

You ROCK!  And you didn't think of the door sooner because you don't normally keep spare doors just lying about ready for use.  So there.

• Like 1

2 things, first Tex send that rain this way, we are in a drought, the crops are barely in the ground and not going to do well at this rate, my province is on fire everywhere we need rain so freaking badly right now.

secondly, I am a rock star, though it took long enough.  So 2 years ago ds16 broke 1 pane out of nine on my front door, last year ds 11 broke another.  Doors are expensive so we made do without replacing it.  It is a small town all you had to do to unlock my door was reach in a broken pane and yet no one did.  Over the winter my storm door swelled in the cold and would no longer shut.  So we had a crazy long winter and cold not properly block out the cold.  Not fun.  Yesterday my ds11 came into the house, shut the storm door (which started shutting again once the weather got warm) and it literally fell apart.  It is a wooden door that is at least 40- 50 years old, the bottom section popped inwards off the rest of the door, the glass of the window fell out, and the sides of the door were coming apart.  I was now in a panic because it meant having absolutely no screen door and the broken windows and mosquitoes were getting in, the cats brought a dead mouse in etc.  I vent to my mom about it, planned to buy a new door next week but wanted to vent about needing to at all.  SHe ticked me off with her comments which were less than helpful.  THis morning I wake up and realize I am a dumba$$, 2 years ago ds11 took the door off the garage (the people door), it had been laying in the garage ever since.  Had him haul it out today, I measured it and it was a perfect fit! and I still had the key for it from back then.  SO I took off the door with the broken panes and installed this heavy duty aluminum door, and now that I am home from work again just took off the broken storm door and hauled it out for bulk pick up.  No more broken doors, full protection from everything.  I have no clue why it never occurred to me before to use that door.  Would have made winter a little warmer.

So now that we have a door that shuts out the elements you can send that rain here.

Oh, and welcome to the thread.  Now go read it ALL.  You are a rock star, so it shouldn't take you very long.  There will be a quiz later.

• Like 2

I'm having a bad, bad day. Two glasses of wine and two truffles helped, but not much.

I took Nana to the airport, and that was sad.  But mostly I am feeling the suffering of others.  For which I should be grateful, because it (theoretically) draws me closer to my Savior.  But Jesus rocks, and I suck.  So there you go.

Thank goodness that I have Despicable Me to help express my inner weirdness.

I am really SUCH a loser. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:scared:

Okay, so I take time off of the thread to let my heart recover from my mommy leaving me, to get caught up with work, and to, you know, educate my child.

And now the thread is full of strangers.

:wacko:

There, there, JoJosmom.  I will hold your hand.  It will be like circle time.

• Like 4

We are having kidney bean loaf tonight. 

It's delicious; so much lighter and tastier than it's carnivorous counterpart.  But "kidney," "bean," and "loaf" are three very unappealing words.

New name ideas, anyone?

Recipe, please, if you haven't shared it here already!

• Like 1

Little dd suggests "kid loaf".  I think this smacks of cannibalism, but who am I to judge?

I will be at the North Central Texas meet up in July so everyone plan to attend.

Aww, I can't attend.  I'm left out agaaaaiiiiinnnn!  *whinepoutwhine*

It sounds cannibalistic.  

And still has that word "loaf" in it.  Why oh why has no one come up with a better word than LOAF?  The meat version has been around since at least the 5th century*, for pete's sake!

*I googled that.  For your after-school enrichment today, courtesy of Wikipedia:

1. The meatloaf has European origins; meatloaf of minced meat was mentioned in the famous Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century. Meatloaf is a traditional German and Belgian dish, and it is a cousin to the Dutch meatball.

pate de legume?

See tuna is bit better sounding.  Though loaf still sounds soooo….. ugh.

I don't know.  I just wouldn't want to put it on a wedding invitation, know what I mean?

:confused1: :confused1: :confused1:   You plan on smearing the stuff on wedding invitations?  :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

• Like 2

My mom didn't want "beef" on our wedding invitation meal-choice cards, so we had to come up with a different name.  

What did you put?  Slab O' Bovine?

• Like 3

I was in a fairly productive meeting (the most significant point having been the director telling me that she would back me up on my decisions), brought dh back to work, then Aldi, then bank, then maple syrup pick-up, then library, then home to put away groceries and throw together something to eat. Just finished up with dinner, which contained neither beans nor tuna, both of which I hate. Egg rolls (frozen from Aldi!) and lettuce salad for us.

After 5 months waiting on hold at the library, I finally have a copy of Pioneer Girl to read!

I read that as "maple syrup stick-up" and wondered why you didn't just wash your hands....

I'm getting tired.  Should go to bed soon.  Operating on a week-long sleep shortage.

• Like 3

John wants to do everything differently for school. He wants to change *everything*. I'm considering taking the opportunity to do something more formal. He's memorized the first 26 phonograms so we can start spelling words. He wants a break from cuisionare rods too. I have the AL Abacus and activities guide and I want to start the zoo book openhearted(?) mentioned. Would you do something formal with a 4 year old? Maybe 45 minutes a day? It's currently about 20 and "math" is usually me telling him to do something and him doing something more fun. At the time I wasn't worried about instilling a bad habit, but now I'm nervous.

Eta: I'm going to start a thread about this at nap time me thinks.

Since you asked, I will answer.

Dude, he's four.  Relax.  Just play with him and read with him and talk with him and, VOILA, he'll learn.  Four is such an awesome age; enjoy it!

• Like 5