Menu

Ignore this thread!

Or when you can't fit enough of the right foods into your shopping cart.  One of my SILs shops nearly every day because all of the teens in the house keep eating everything up.  

Yes!  I am usually the Horrible Woman in Line with the Overflowing Cart.  :)

• Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I sat behind an important diplomat tonight at a fancy schmancy concert.

Ds3 didn't poop in his pull-up, and Dd5 didn't proclaim "Finally! It's OVER!" after the final piece like she did last year.

I count that as a successful Brush With Greatness.

:lol:  :lol:    I don't know, you might have had more of an encounter with Greatness had at least DD done that!

• Like 2

Yes, our Thanksgiving was good this year, thanks. It was quite relaxing, even though I did all the cooking. I had a basic menu, actually was in a good mood, and the food reflected it. Last year, there was so much chaos and I was hating my life, and the food reflected that. Everyone did their darndest to make sure I was happy this time around, I think.

No, I did not ketchup. No, I will not do so. Good night. Gotta 4:30am class.

Yay, Renai's back!  Welcome back, Renai!  We missed you.   :001_wub:  :001_wub:

• Like 4

Aaaannnndddd....finally caught up! Love you, awesome people. We're celebrating my birthday with my folks today (even though it's not until next Saturday), after I get out of work, and then I'm going to bed early. I'll be back tomorrow. Have a lovely day!

Happy Birthday, Bookie!!!!  (Next Saturday will get crazy here and I don't want to be late with the good wishes.)   :party:  :party:  :party:

• Like 2

Yes!  I am usually the Horrible Woman in Line with the Overflowing Cart.  :)

When SIL has more than just the toddler in tow she will fill at least 2 carts in hopes of getting to skip a day grocery shopping.  She makes the other kids push the additional cart(s).

I have been known to take a small cart and then fill it so well the sacker can't fit all of the bags back into the cart.  People behind me tend not to like that.

Today's fun:

• take DD16 shopping for a birthday present for a friend
  • take more stuff to the storage unit
  • be home by 2 PM when said friend and Mom are due to arrive (sleepover with friend tonight)
  • discuss friend's birthday party plans (DD is invited, but depending on when and where it might conflict with her music recital next weekend)
  • Print out DPOA and MPOA forms for both Colorado and Texas, and review the requirements of each state -- put in Dad Project box
  • pick up my routine prescriptions
  • if I have time (ha!), wrangle with the one pharmacy branch over what's going on with the new med my doctor wanted me to try
  • keep building the list of routine tasks to be taken care of in my absence (on big whiteboard currently)

• Like 2

When SIL has more than just the toddler in tow she will fill at least 2 carts in hopes of getting to skip a day grocery shopping.  She makes the other kids push the additional cart(s).

I have been known to take a small cart and then fill it so well the sacker can't fit all of the bags back into the cart.  People behind me tend not to like that.

See, this is me, except I overfill the large cart.  One of my grocery stores will get me a second cart and have someone push it to the car and unload it.  :)

• Like 2

Yes! I am usually the Horrible Woman in Line with the Overflowing Cart. :)

Ugh. This is me every week at Aldi! I usually hang out around the checkout lanes for a couple minutes to see if any "nearly empty carts" are ready to get in line ahead of me, but eventually I just have to start unloading and then about 30 people will immediately get in line behind me holding only a baby, a pineapple, and a gallon of milk. 🙄

#practicingmyoxfordcommasforkrissiwhoisstillasmallsquareboxonmyipadhumpf

• Like 7

See, this is me, except I overfill the large cart.  One of my grocery stores will get me a second cart and have someone push it to the car and unload it.  :)

Around here people tend to scope out what others have in their carts.  A full big cart is obviously going to take a while, so people tend to line up behind people with smaller carts.  Usually I'll take a big cart for my grocery runs, but if I can only think of a few things I'll take a little cart (or if I'm trying to remind myself to not stock up this time around).  I usually end up buying more than a little cart can comfortably hold, though, and I'm good with packing things in so they "fit".  People line up behind me because I have a small cart, and then stare in horror and amazement as the circus clowns just keep piling out of my cart without end.

So long as I'm not in a limited-items line I have feel no shame or guilt about this.   :D

• Like 3

Good Morning!!

COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Slept in!!ðŸ‘💕

Busy day - girls have Christmas program rehearsal this morning, this afternoon DH and I go to a surprise 50th birthday party for my BFF and her hubby (their birthdays are a day apart). Ugh, that makes me feel old.

• Like 5

Around here people tend to scope out what others have in their carts. A full big cart is obviously going to take a while, so people tend to line up behind people with smaller carts. :D

I read somewhere that this is not a good strategy, though. Because people don’t take into account the time spent on the financial transaction. Someone did a study and it showed that the line with fewer people but larger amount of groceries usually went faster than a lot of people with few groceries.
  • Like 4

We need to read several Advent readings to catch up.

DH went up in the attic yesterday after work and got the Christmas stuff down so I was able to dig out our Advent Calendar. Usually we’re a couple days behind at the beginning of December. Ours is a cloth one with a Manger scene in the middle and pockets for each day. In each pocket is a cloth figure with Velcro on the back of stars and angels and shepherds and sheep and wisemen and camels, etc. I just don’t have a family devotional yet, so last night we just read from Isaiah and sang (very poorly, I might add ) a Christmas carol.
  • Like 1

Ok, keep me out of the sea, people!! I was reading it, tempted to jump in, but then thought better of it..... (adoption thread😡😡)

Ok, I went back and now i’m Really getting ticked off. Some people have no idea how the system works! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 I’m going to go do something else now.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I slept until 9:40 and it was fabulous. Last night, DH took me to the big city to get a proper fitting and buy new bOOkshelves. It's nice wearing something that actually fits and doesn't shift every time I turn or bend over.

We also went to dinner and half-price books.

Our elf brought us our advent calendar today. Amazon, I mean the elf, was a day late on delivery, but it'll be okay.

On today's agenda: Pick up the boys from MIL, buy a Christmas tree, and decorate it. If there's time, we might get to set up the new trampoline too.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Or when you can't fit enough of the right foods into your shopping cart. One of my SILs shops nearly every day because all of the teens in the house keep eating everything up.

I shop nearly everyday. But the grocery store is three minutes away. So I decide what is for dinner and go pick up any missing ingredients. Breakfasts and lunches are pretty predictable. I keep a running list of whatever we run out of that everyone contributes to. It’s on my phone so whenever I am at the store I pick up those items on the list as well. I do have my “Mom can’t think of a good dinner so resorted to an old standby “ nights a couple times a week. Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

I decided I'm going to join the YMCA. DH is about to be working lots of overtime hours, and it'll be nice to be able to drop the boys at childcare for an hour to do a class. Plus I'm out of shape, and don't have the discipline to work out regularly at home by myself. I'm hoping a set class time (and gym fees) will give me more accountability.

• Like 7

I decided I'm going to join the YMCA. DH is about to be working lots of overtime hours, and it'll be nice to be able to drop the boys at childcare for an hour to do a class. Plus I'm out of shape, and don't have the discipline to work out regularly at home by myself. I'm hoping a set class time (and gym fees) will give me more accountability.

Make sure to schedule it. The thought of going won't do you any good if you're "too busy".
  • Like 3

I read somewhere that this is not a good strategy, though. Because people don’t take into account the time spent on the financial transaction. Someone did a study and it showed that the line with fewer people but larger amount of groceries usually went faster than a lot of people with few groceries.

My financial transactions usually take 2 seconds, since at most stores you can put in your card, enter your pin, etc while the cashier is ringing everything up. So, by the time he's got everything in the cart, it just takes the time it takes to get the receipt. That said, there are also people who have a zillion coupons, and want to pay for part of their groceries with WIC, and part with food stamps, and part with money, and their card won't work, so they have to try something else, and yada yada yada, and it takes for.ev.er. 

I still think the cashier is the biggest factor. A new cashier who has to turn every item over a million times to scan it and who doesn't know what an orange is (and then spends forever trying to find the code for that) is going to make it take much longer than a good cashier with a bunch of overflowing carts. Also, I hate it when everything is rung up and the cashier just stares at me and I have to tell them that the payment machine thingie says "waiting for cashier" or something. Dude, hit the whatever key already. No, you're not going to see me pull out my wallet etc, because I already did all that while you were trying to figure out what an orange is. :svengo:  

I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you wait until Jan 1st, they'll almost certainly waive the join fee on that one day only. Of course, they also have financial aid, so if you qualify for that it might not matter. Or maybe you're rich, in which case, it also doesn't matter. :)

• Like 3

I probably will wait until January. Ours usually waives the join fee for the entire month, and there's a discounted rate for my husband's company. But December is way too busy to try to be adding new stuff anyway.

On the other hand, if I wait I might lose motivation and convince myself I don't really need to spend the money. Right now, I think it's an investment I need to make for myself.

• Like 5

Lana owns a house. Everyone with a house is wealthy. The same goes for anyone with a business.

I knew someone who believed this. I tried reasoning with her multiple times before giving up.

We're not rich by any means. But my husband does make fairly good money, and will be working crazy overtime for a few months. If we could ever get all of our debt paid and everything would stop breaking and needing to be replaced, we could live a pretty comfortable life, financially. We've been working really hard, and are almost to the point where it's not paycheck-to-paycheck. I want to get to the point where we have an emergency fund, a 'fun' fund, and all of next month's bills are paid in advance.

• Like 6

Very true!

Lana owns a house. Everyone with a house is wealthy. The same goes for anyone with a business.

I knew someone who believed this. I tried reasoning with her multiple times before giving up.

:lol:

You can always cite us as an example. We owned a house in Texas before we moved to Buffalo. We bought it for $13,500 in Jan 2007 and sold it for $20k in 2013 (and no, that doesn't mean 48% profit - fixing the foundation, putting in a subfloor and floor in the living room and bedroom (because when we bought it it was a 3.5ft drop to the dirt floor), putting in plumbing, gas, and electrical in the rest of the house (because there were no plumbing or gas lines, and the electrical that was there looked like it was incredible that it hadn't caught on fire yet), and some drywall and paint, meant that that was sold at a loss (not too big a loss, since everything except the $4k or so for the foundation was done by DW and me, and it was cheaper than renting would've been, but still)). We qualified for Medicaid, food stamps, and WIC most of the time we lived there (and Celery qualified for free breakfast and lunch at school). Jobs we did while we lived there included cabinet making ($7/hour, iirc), waitressing, delivering pizza, truck driving, stacking boxes as a temp in a factory, installing satellite TV dishes, and picking up trash at the dump (as in, bagging pieces of trash that were flying around so they wouldn't fly off the dump - yes, that's a (temp) job), some of those interspersed with generous periods of unemployment (as in, up to 9 months or so at a time). Only truck driving and installing satellite TV dishes paid significantly more than minimum wage. Oh, and DW started working as a remote for the company she currently works for just before they made us move to NY. 

If that doesn't scream "wealthy", I don't know what does.  :lol:

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

:lol:

You can always cite us as an example. We owned a house in Texas before we moved to Buffalo. We bought it for $13,500 in Jan 2007 and sold it for $20k in 2013 (and no, that doesn't mean 48% profit - fixing the foundation, putting in a subfloor and floor in the living room and bedroom (because when we bought it it was a 3.5ft drop to the dirt floor), putting in plumbing, gas, and electrical in the rest of the house (because there were no plumbing or gas lines, and the electrical that was there looked like it was incredible that it hadn't caught on fire yet), and some drywall and paint, meant that that was sold at a loss (not too big a loss, since everything except the $4k or so for the foundation was done by DW and me, and it was cheaper than renting would've been, but still)). We qualified for Medicaid, food stamps, and WIC most of the time we lived there (and Celery qualified for free breakfast and lunch at school). Jobs we did while we lived there included cabinet making ($7/hour, iirc), waitressing, delivering pizza, truck driving, stacking boxes as a temp in a factory, installing satellite TV dishes, and picking up trash at the dump (as in, bagging pieces of trash that were flying around so they wouldn't fly off the dump - yes, that's a (temp) job), some of those interspersed with generous periods of unemployment (as in, up to 9 months or so at a time). Only truck driving and installing satellite TV dishes paid significantly more than minimum wage. Oh, and DW started working as a remote for the company she currently works for just before they made us move to NY. 

If that doesn't scream "wealthy", I don't know what does.  :lol:

Oh, and only the living room/bedroom had heaters/window A/C units, so the pipes under the house froze a couple of times in winter, leaving us without running water (even though we'd let the faucets drip), and in summer you'd about faint just setting foot in the kitchen (especially the day it was 116F outside).  :svengo: And in winter it hit 42F in the bedroom a few times according to the space heater there (and it only measures the temp right where it's at).

Also, I think that technically speaking, your net worth has to be positive in order to be wealthy, which it was not. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

We're not rich by any means. But my husband does make fairly good money, and will be working crazy overtime for a few months. If we could ever get all of our debt paid and everything would stop breaking and needing to be replaced, we could live a pretty comfortable life, financially. We've been working really hard, and are almost to the point where it's not paycheck-to-paycheck. I want to get to the point where we have an emergency fund, a 'fun' fund, and all of next month's bills are paid in advance.

Oh my goodness. My bills used to be paid a month in advance. I had $6,000 in savings. I traveled frequently. Then I got married. :svengo:
  • Like 2

We got a notice on our door from the gas company the other day saying we needed to pay within 72 hours or they'd shut us off. I have no clue why they didn't write "warning" or something on the envelope for our most recent bill (other companies do that... plenty of experience with that back in Texas, when we were wealthy). It's on autopay, so we tend to not even open those envelopes... I think what happened is that DW got a new debit card so the expiration date changed, and she forgot to tell the gas company. Still not amused. 

• Like 3

I'm afraid that I was not a good neighbor on Nextdoor (community social media site) when people started complaining that the reindeer in town must be too cold because they aren't in a heated enclosure.  Do these people even know where reindeer live? 

They live in town, obviously. And probably in Santa's house too. 

• Like 3

DH went up in the attic yesterday after work and got the Christmas stuff down so I was able to dig out our Advent Calendar. Usually we’re a couple days behind at the beginning of December. Ours is a cloth one with a Manger scene in the middle and pockets for each day. In each pocket is a cloth figure with Velcro on the back of stars and angels and shepherds and sheep and wisemen and camels, etc. I just don’t have a family devotional yet, so last night we just read from Isaiah and sang (very poorly, I might add ) a Christmas carol.

Center for Lit (Missy and Adam Andrews) were offering an Advent booklet of sorts.  I was interested, until I remembered that I would never get around to actually reading it to everyone.  I'm guessing it's more literary than devotional.

Ok, keep me out of the sea, people!! I was reading it, tempted to jump in, but then thought better of it..... (adoption thread😡😡)

Ok, I went back and now i’m Really getting ticked off. Some people have no idea how the system works! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 I’m going to go do something else now.

:grouphug:

I had to jump out of that one, too!

:grouphug:

I slept until 9:40 and it was fabulous. Last night, DH took me to the big city to get a proper fitting and buy new bOOkshelves. It's nice wearing something that actually fits and doesn't shift every time I turn or bend over.

We also went to dinner and half-price books.

Our elf brought us our advent calendar today. Amazon, I mean the elf, was a day late on delivery, but it'll be okay.

On today's agenda: Pick up the boys from MIL, buy a Christmas tree, and decorate it. If there's time, we might get to set up the new trampoline too.

So glad you all had a good night out!  

• Like 2

Oh, and only the living room/bedroom had heaters/window A/C units, so the pipes under the house froze a couple of times in winter, leaving us without running water (even though we'd let the faucets drip), and in summer you'd about faint just setting foot in the kitchen (especially the day it was 116F outside). :svengo: And in winter it hit 42F in the bedroom a few times according to the space heater there (and it only measures the temp right where it's at).

Also, I think that technically speaking, your net worth has to be positive in order to be wealthy, which it was not.

Yes, true. Buying a home is a really stupid idea on paper.

This chick and I worked together. We worked for a company that made $2,000,000 a year. She was so angry with our boss because we made minimum wage. She had a business and a house and didn't pay us $15/hr. How selfish. I just never got over her thinking. She stole a 54" flat screen TV because the company had so much money it was only fair. It's only a small hop to I should be stealing from Lana because she has more than me, proven by the fact that she owns a home.

• Like 2

I shop nearly everyday. But the grocery store is three minutes away. So I decide what is for dinner and go pick up any missing ingredients. Breakfasts and lunches are pretty predictable. I keep a running list of whatever we run out of that everyone contributes to. It’s on my phone so whenever I am at the store I pick up those items on the list as well. I do have my “Mom can’t think of a good dinner so resorted to an old standby “ nights a couple times a week.

When the girls were in a brick & mortar school not far away I used to visit the grocery store every school day or two, right after dropping them off at school.  My route home went right by the store, so it was quick and easy.  I didn't overbuy as much back then.

Now that going to the store requires a little more effort (other than the local Mom & Pop, which has limited selection and higher prices) I still try to go at least twice a week so I can have fresh produce while it's fresh.  It is one of the luxuries of our location that I do appreciate (being close enough to the store to allow this).

SIL isn't that far from a grocery store, but the traffic between there and her place can be nightmarish much of the day.  Some days she feels like her entire day is lugging or cooking food and washing laundry.  She's got 4 kids out of 5 that have become bottomless pits, and now she frequently also has one DS's best friend over, too, who is a finicky bottomless pit.

• Like 1

We know which cashiers are better. Just don’t go in Becky’s line -she’s sweet but slow as molasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one of those, too!  When we aren't in a rush I'll go to her line so she doesn't feel we are trying to avoid her.  She's really nice, but very chatty and can't seem to scan while she chats.  If I need to hurry I'll go to a different cashier and wave at the nice-but-chatty one as we head out.

• Like 1