• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I don't know. There are things compromising his ability to get work immediately. He has also long been pushing me to get a job, for various reasons, and I have resisted, for various reasons, the stress of it being one of them. Looks like I won't be able to just mot anymore.

It's not been a good night here. Anyone have happy stories? Bonus points if there are unicorns.

While my 6 year old son was in the shower my 1 year old son grabbed his pajamas and ran away while laughing maniacally.
  • Like 6

Also, I'm pretty sure that Klingon is with a K. Unless there's some language 'Clingon' that I don't know about. (there could be... there are supposedly thousands of languages on this planet, though a lot of them are endangered)

Damn spell check - yes, I meant Klingon. :leaving:

• Like 3

The water was dark, full of ripples, and I pursued my sons across the lake (DH was with me) and got to listen to howls of laughter coming back when the boys got blasted by the spray. We had a lot of wind, but it was awesome.

:grouphug: For everyone having no-good, very bad days. It sounds like there were a lot of them today.

• Like 6

So, a body was pulled from the river last night, right by my house. We were driving to a neighboring town for dinner and saw all this commotion and at least 5 fire trucks and numerous other rescue vehicles on the west side of the river, directly across from our subdivision which is on the east side of the river. Found out this morning on the news that some kayakers discovered a submerged vehicle with a body in it and they were pulling the vehicle out last night. They identified the person and he was from our town, apparently missing since Sunday.

At least you have an alibi - you were on the ITT the entire time! (no matter when exactly they determined it happened)

I think I broke the internet.  I can't seem to get on the Rainbow Resource website anymore.  It just tries and tried to load and never does.  Are you guys staging an intervention and I'm just now finding out?

It worked for me a couple of days ago, shortly before DW told me she'd gotten a promotion. When she told me, I felt a lot better about my order, lol. Btw, I'm glad that you got it to work.

I take it "thesauri" wasn't the word, then?

Trooper. 

Like little frozen styrofoam balls?  I think that is referred to as "grapple".

I thought those were those grape flavored apples. Yes. Apparently the word we're looking for is 'graupel'. Never knew there was a word for it though, so, thanks! :)

I did manage to figure that one out.  I'm going to see if the kids can figure it out, sometime this weekend.   :D

I'm mostly just curious to see how long it will take someone on the rest of the board to notice. Probably a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if by then we'll have forgotten all about it.  :laugh:

• Like 2

In the year 1699 the people of Rotterdam went on strike over the high cost of butter AND the pirate, William Kidd, was captured in Boston.

Ooh, I see we've covered history too! Awesome!

I can totally log those towards my 225 hours for Quarter 2, right? (not that *I* need to educate *me* for 225 hours per quarter)

• Like 1

As far as I know they both mean I don’t know but je ne connais pas has the connotation of not being aware of something.

I thought connaître was more about whether you knew someone, as opposed to whether you know something. I should probably Google that though.

Maybe they're both correct for (not) knowing about the existence of butter riots? It's clear as mud to me:

https://www.thoughtco.com/savoir-vs-connaitre-1368940

(and that was actually the second page I looked at... the first page was even less clear)

Fun fact: when I'm drunk I actually post fewer nonsensical posts, because it takes me longer to edit my spelling. 

Fun fact #2: I'm probably the only person who still corrects their spelling just before blacking out from being drunk. (that only happened once, when I was 19)

ETA: Drinking age in NL is 16 for beer & wine, 18 for liquor.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Fun unicorn fact I learned about last week (albeit in less detail than below):

Beginning in the Ming Dynasty, the qilin became associated with giraffes, after Zheng He's voyage to East Africa brought a pair of the long-necked animals and introduced them at court in Nanjing as qilin.[45] The resemblance to the qilin was noted in the giraffe's ossicones (bony protrusions from the skull resembling horns), graceful movements, and peaceful demeanor.[46]

ETA: quote's from Wikipedia, of course.

ETA2: Qilin are Chinese unicorns.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

I don't know. There are things compromising his ability to get work immediately. He has also long been pushing me to get a job, for various reasons, and I have resisted, for various reasons, the stress of it being one of them. Looks like I won't be able to just mot anymore.

It's not been a good night here. Anyone have happy stories? Bonus points if there are unicorns.

A unicorn was feeling a bit down one day.  "I am having a rough day," he said to himself.  "What should I do?"  Then he remembered a magical island, with indulgent staff and supportive friends.  "That's it!  Time for a visit!  Even just the idea has me feeling better already!"

So off to ITT he went.  

:laugh:

• Like 5

Comparison, basically. Your book is like X meets Y. 

I don't like them. Some agents don't like them either, some insist on them.

So they're trying to categorize your book as being just another Y?  I'm not sure I like that.

• Like 1

So they're trying to categorize your book as being just another Y?  I'm not sure I like that.

One problem, if you want to sell a book, is that bookstores have to know where to shelve it. I'm sure that presenting a book as X meets Y can be helpful. Unless, of course, X and Y would be shelved in completely different places, in which case it might not be. 

ETA: as in, you want the right potential buyers to be able to find your book. 

Edited by luuknam

The first time dh brought me home to meet his parents I was washing my face a little too enthusiastically before bed and I stuck my finger up my nose by accident and sliced the inside of my nostril and there was soooooo much blood I thought I might have to get them to take me to the ER thereby making the lamest impression ever. Luckily it stopped. Was that funny? Sorry, couldn’t think of any unicorns.

:lol:  :lol:   I'm glad you survived.   :laugh:

ETA: as in, you want the right potential buyers to be able to find your book. 

As in, publishers are in the business of making money, not in the business of discovering the next great American novel which won't make money until 50 years after the author is dead.

Fun fact: when I'm drunk I actually post fewer nonsensical posts, because it takes me longer to edit my spelling. 

Fun fact #2: I'm probably the only person who still corrects their spelling just before blacking out from being drunk. (that only happened once, when I was 19)

ETA: Drinking age in NL is 16 for beer & wine, 18 for liquor.

You ARE fun, aren't you?   :laugh:

• Like 1

Fun fact: I've never been drunk, but I always type like I am.

Fun fact #2: I have a wisdom tooth removed in 2 weeks.

Eta: I didn't drink until I was 27.

Fun fact:  I once broke the same toe twice.  In the same day.  In the same way.  On the same chair leg.  It was a less boring day at the doctor's office that day!

• Like 2

Hey, thanks, you guys. Who knows what's coming, but ya'll made me smile.

Croissant revolutions, unicorns, fun stories, a fully staffed island....I love this place.

(((Hugs))) to all who need hugs. What a crummy, crummy day.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  back at you.

Critter, I don't recall if you mentioned it, but are you a planner or a pantser? I know you mentioned those terms, I don't recall if you outed yourself as either. Also, I'd like to write uplifting stuff, but I don't think I'd be any good at it. E.g. that unicorn assignment Bookie gave us... is not for me. 

• Like 1

Also, doesn't the word "uplifting"sound a lot more old-fashioned than it should sound?

I like margaritas but one is plenty.

When DW was bartending and I mentioned that I felt tipsy halfway through one, she did say that one margarita (at that restaurant) contained about 2.5 servings of alcohol. Of course, YMMV. 

You did great

Thanks. The goal was to cheer you up. :) That said, I did not actually write a unicorn story. I copied-and-pasted a fun factoid from Wikipedia. If I actually had to write a fun unicorn story... I don't know. I could probably write something more Stephen King-ish or something though. 

• Like 1

Unicorn

I saw a unicorn today.

I saw the white shimmer of its mane in the water of a far-off lake,

The wind whipped its mane into folds on the sides of the mountain.

I heard the thunder of hooves in the beat of a duck’s wings across a wind-torn lake.

I saw the fabulous horn reflected in the shadow of silver stone on a dark river inlet.

And it laughed, laughed like children beneath the clear, bright sun.

I captured a unicorn today,

And drove home under a harvest moon,

Happy.

Pantser. I make it up as it comes.

• Like 6

I probably was quite tipsy when I was 8.  We were attending my cousin's wedding reception in Denver in the wintertime.  Mom told me not to drink the punch because it was spiked about 6 times, but she didn't explain what that meant.  The water fountain was warm.  The bar was only serving alcohol.  My brother didn't tell me they had a kids' bar downstairs serving soda.  I kept dancing with my cousins and getting hot, so we'd get some punch, then run out into the snow without any coats to cool off.

In college in MN 19 was the drinking age at the time, so I would go listen to a friend of mine sing with her band at a local country bar.  One evening I had driven my friend and another friend there in the single-bench seat pick-up my Dad had at the time.  When she finished singing we were leaving to head back to our dorm, when 4 more girls from our dorm asked if there was any way I could give them a lift, too.  The guys they had come with were drinking heavily and not turning over their keys, and the girls didn't want to ride back with them.  It was winter and very cold, so I piled all 7 of us into the cab.  We got pulled over as soon as we left the bar's parking lot.  When we explained matters to the police the officers asked the girls to point out their dates' cars, which they gladly did.  We were then allowed to go straight home, all 7 of us.  Those guys ended up spending the night in the drunk tank.  They were each pulled over as soon as they drove out of the bar's parking lot.  

Wow, tipsy reminiscences booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

I think it does vary a bit (which I think is a bad idea). Right now the kind you can buy in the packs that look like capri sun are what dh and I get sometimes and I don’t think they’re very strong.

Totally agreed, on both counts. 

Fun Fact: Despite drinking from age 11 to 21, I have never been drunk. I have helped a lot of drunk kids to get home though. That’s what turned me off from alcohol.

I was home when I got drunk, mostly because I did not want to get drunk around people I didn't completely trust (e.g. college kids in a bar) or alone in my 'dorm' room. My mom went to bed after my first few drinks, not realizing I had decided I wanted to get really drunk just for the experience. I had 10 drinks in about an hour. Which, btw, is a bad idea... apparently, at my weight, that would've put me over the lethal limit (albeit just barely), had I not thrown up (fun calculation I did in a pharmacology class a month or two later). Which, of course, I did do, all over the place... my parents were not amused though. That was Saturday night, and my stomach was killing me more on Monday than on Sunday, iirc.