Menu

Ignore this thread!

OK so it sounds like I have damaged my funny bone (ulnar nerve) so I get to be grumpy for the duration. Fortunately, dh has an elbow brace in his arsenal. It is itchy. Commence grumpiness!! :D

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   *gives chocolate*

• Like 1

Can't you just take her into the office and tell them to sign her up? (Clueless homeschooler here)

Nope. They need proof of residency, which means contacting the landlord and having him make up a more recent contract (we've lived here for 13 years and have been on the same contract. The school needs one made up within the past two years.), a copy of her vaccines and a letter stating she's on a delayed schedule along with the vaccine waiver that requires a notary, and the food plan for her allergies. I will pretend I know nothing about the uniform because we have no money to buy one. Oh, wait, they have that fund and closet so would give her one.

It's a pain in the arse to register a child in school. Hmmm, that looks like a lot now that I've typed it all out. See why I'm so lazy as to not have done it yet? But, I'm pretty much there, now.

• Like 2

It's a two in one educational post:  These are questions I could post elsewhere, but I don't wanna.  And they're not pressing - I'm just avoiding household chores.  (But you already knew that, right?)

Question 1)  Any of you guys with highschoolers - (Or Slache, or anyone else who is well read on the boards  :lol: ).  Did you have your kids prep for the PSAT?  What do you think is the most time-efficient way to study for the PSAT.  I'm looking at it like this:  child in question is good student in all subjects, but perhaps not a speed reader.  I suspect student will do well on the math.  I'm all for giving this student a chance for qualifying, but I don't know how likely that is, nor do I want the student spending gobs of time getting ready for it.  

Question 2)  Regarding a different student.  This other student has some weaknesses (math) and does not love science.  Student is taking Apologia Physical at co-op this year with labs as an 8th grader.  I know (and agree) that science is not typically a course that is awarded high school credit for a class taken in 8th.  On the other hand, co-op alternates class every other year, so this was the year she had to take it if we were going to do it at co-op (and trust me, outsourcing science is a very good idea as it's not a favorite of mine either).  So, anyway, my delimma is whether to give her high school credit for this course (which is billed as an 8th or 9th grade text).  One thought I had was extending it a bit into the 1st semester of 9th grade with an extra resource to assuage my conscience that the credit truly was completed 9th grade year.  Thoughts?  (And if I did that, what resource would be worth using without killing us or repeating what she did her 8th grade year - I don't want a whole other year of physical - she would kill me, lol.  I was thinking maybe Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry because there's not a whole lot of chemistry info in the Apologia Physical book......)

It's a two in one educational post: These are questions I could post elsewhere, but I don't wanna. And they're not pressing - I'm just avoiding household chores. (But you already knew that, right?)

Question 1) Any of you guys with highschoolers - (Or Slache, or anyone else who is well read on the boards :lol: ). Did you have your kids prep for the PSAT? What do you think is the most time-efficient way to study for the PSAT. I'm looking at it like this: child in question is good student in all subjects, but perhaps not a speed reader. I suspect student will do well on the math. I'm all for giving this student a chance for qualifying, but I don't know how likely that is, nor do I want the student spending gobs of time getting ready for it.

Question 2) Regarding a different student. This other student has some weaknesses (math) and does not love science. Student is taking Apologia Physical at co-op this year with labs as an 8th grader. I know (and agree) that science is not typically a course that is awarded high school credit for a class taken in 8th. On the other hand, co-op alternates class every other year, so this was the year she had to take it if we were going to do it at co-op (and trust me, outsourcing science is a very good idea as it's not a favorite of mine either). So, anyway, my delimma is whether to give her high school credit for this course (which is billed as an 8th or 9th grade text). One thought I had was extending it a bit into the 1st semester of 9th grade with an extra resource to assuage my conscience that the credit truly was completed 9th grade year. Thoughts? (And if I did that, what resource would be worth using without killing us or repeating what she did her 8th grade year - I don't want a whole other year of physical - she would kill me, lol. I was thinking maybe Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry because there's not a whole lot of chemistry info in the Apologia Physical book......)

I think you should make brownies and not worry about it.

• Like 7

It's a two in one educational post: These are questions I could post elsewhere, but I don't wanna. And they're not pressing - I'm just avoiding household chores. (But you already knew that, right?)

Question 1) Any of you guys with highschoolers - (Or Slache, or anyone else who is well read on the boards :lol: ). Did you have your kids prep for the PSAT? What do you think is the most time-efficient way to study for the PSAT. I'm looking at it like this: child in question is good student in all subjects, but perhaps not a speed reader. I suspect student will do well on the math. I'm all for giving this student a chance for qualifying, but I don't know how likely that is, nor do I want the student spending gobs of time getting ready for it.

Question 2) Regarding a different student. This other student has some weaknesses (math) and does not love science. Student is taking Apologia Physical at co-op this year with labs as an 8th grader. I know (and agree) that science is not typically a course that is awarded high school credit for a class taken in 8th. On the other hand, co-op alternates class every other year, so this was the year she had to take it if we were going to do it at co-op (and trust me, outsourcing science is a very good idea as it's not a favorite of mine either). So, anyway, my delimma is whether to give her high school credit for this course (which is billed as an 8th or 9th grade text). One thought I had was extending it a bit into the 1st semester of 9th grade with an extra resource to assuage my conscience that the credit truly was completed 9th grade year. Thoughts? (And if I did that, what resource would be worth using without killing us or repeating what she did her 8th grade year - I don't want a whole other year of physical - she would kill me, lol. I was thinking maybe Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry because there's not a whole lot of chemistry info in the Apologia Physical book......)

I had ds do the protests in one of the PSAT test prep books. Barrons maybe?

I didn't do Physical Science as a high school subject. We just did it for middle school. But we had already planned to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Robotics and that was plenty for the transcript.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had ds do the protests in one of the PSAT test prep books. Barrons maybe?

I didn't do Physical Science as a high school subject. We just did it for middle school. But we had already planned to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Robotics and that was plenty for the transcript.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSAT - Thanks!

Science - Yes, that makes sense for Tech Support, for sure!  This student does not have a strong science or math interest (like, at all, lol).  And I think many high schools in our state do put physical in 9th.  I had physical in 9th, bio in 10th, and honors chem in 11th, never took physics, and was still a star student in high school and college.   :hat:   I think for this student credit for physical in 9th could be a good idea.  

• Like 2

PSAT:  Go to Khan Academy.  It's free.  Once you have a practice test baseline, decide if you want to go for NM.  Then consider buying books.  We used Kaplan and Barron's; I think they're all about the same, honestly.  Khan also has prep.  And have I mentioned that it's FREE?

• Like 2

As for science, I think Physical Science with lab could go either way.  I'm still a bit on the fence myself.  I will probably decide NOT to give credit, but my short person is a STEM-my one.  So, I think it should be decided in the context of the student.

Totally agree about deciding in the context of the student.  For this student, I have no problem giving a credit for physical science.  My dilemma is a result of letting her take it in the 8th grade because of scheduling.    

ACK!  It's an ongoing educational post BOOYAH.   :leaving:

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

1. Go through the PSAT practice booklet. Take the PSAT in 10th grade and 11th grade, and 9th grade if it is allowed.

2. Our umbrella program allows for 2 high school credits taken in 8th grade for lab science (physical, bio, chem, or physics), math (algebra 1 or higher) or a high school level language. If you don't think an 8th grade credit will be allowed, then I'd wait and list the class and award the credit when they are in 9th grade. I definitely would not make them take it over again if they have indeed done the high school level work. Dd14 is taking physical science with lab for credit in 8th grade. Her tutorial also offers some advanced science courses, so I think they start a bit early in case students want to take advanced bio or chem or anatomy or something.

3. You should make brownies and bring them over so we can eat them and watch something on Netflix. I will provide the vanilla ice cream and will make popcorn in case we need a change of pace.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Totally agree about deciding in the context of the student.  For this student, I have no problem giving a credit for physical science.  My dilemma is a result of letting her take it in the 8th grade because of scheduling.    

Then, yes, absolutely I would.  Without a second thought.

High school credit for credit-worthy classes taken in 7th and 8th is no biggie here, BTW.  In fact, most college-bound kids will have them, because we have a Fast Forward program in which the state encourages-and pays for- early college credit.

• Like 4

Title??

Hugggggssss!!!

I think we tend to look at history through a very Western prism.  World War II, for example, was far more horrifying viewed from the East.  I read this recently and found it to be a good synopsis of Russian history.

Looks interesting.  Thanks, Susan!

I suspect, for the U.S. at least, that it's because of the aftermath of WWII and what followed (the nature of relations with the USSR).

So what was the book?  I forget if you mentioned it.  I'm curious, and would like to learn a bit more myself.

The title is "Young Stalin" by Simon Sebag Montfiore. It is an extremely well-written and researched book. Hard to read because I know next to nothing about Russian history, so the people and events are hard to process. Stalin is actually Georgian and from what I can tell, the Georgian culture is extremely violent. So, between his horrible upbringing and where he was raised... what was interesting, too, is that he trained for the priesthood and was a poet. Each chapter begins with his poetry, which is quite lovely. Nothing extraordinary, but not what you would think from a psychopathic bloodthirsty tyrant.

One of my theories of why we know so little about him is our Euro-centric history education. I know little of Russian history in general and what I have learned, is not really impressive.

• Like 2

I agree with the extend and augment the chemistry part.  Homeschoolers don't stick to traditional school years much anyway.  She will just have started her 9th grade science early!  The description of the course did say it was 8th & 9th grades, right?  And wouldn't be offered again in her actual 9th grade year?  She started it early, is doing 9th grade work in it, and will extend to augment a portion that was lightly covered.  Sounds like potential honors credit to me, if she's diligent about the extended studies.  

• Like 1

Have you read Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys? It's a beautifully written and disturbing novel set during WWII in the USSR. Based on that novel, I'd say it was because it simply was not widely known until the collapse of communism there. Because the Soviet regime was so long lasting after the war, no one talked about it (lest you and your family be sent to prison and tortured like Solzhenitsyn) and after the collapse, people just wanted to forget and get on with their lives.

I highly recommend the book.

I find that time period very interesting. I read "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson about the U.S. Ambassador to Berlin during the rise of Hitler. It is non-fiction, but it is a narrative. Excellent book. But what surprised me is how little the Americans seemed to know or care about what Hitler was up to and what was going on in Europe at that time. And I know that information was not as readily available as it is now, but even the government, when they knew what was going on, did not seem to be very interested.
  • Like 2

The title is "Young Stalin" by Simon Sebag Montfiore. It is an extremely well-written and researched book. Hard to read because I know next to nothing about Russian history, so the people and events are hard to process. Stalin is actually Georgian and from what I can tell, the Georgian culture is extremely violent. So, between his horrible upbringing and where he was raised... what was interesting, too, is that he trained for the priesthood and was a poet. Each chapter begins with his poetry, which is quite lovely. Nothing extraordinary, but not what you would think from a psychopathic bloodthirsty tyrant.

One of my theories of why we know so little about him is our Euro-centric history education. I know little of Russian history in general and what I have learned, is not really impressive.

Thanks for the title.  I'll check that out.

I had cake after dinner so I'd feel obligated to work out but now I don't want to. Someone insult me.

"I don't want to talk to you no more you animal food trough wiper."

How's that?ðŸ˜

Empty-headed. I forgot empty-headed. It's "....you empty-headed animal food trough wiper."

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I haven't done a *real* workout in over a year. I'm intimidated.

#bossyboots

I haven't had a real one in a few months, and haven't had a baby. I've gone back to my walking dvds periodically and called it done. Just start somewhere. You'll be fine. And feel good about it. :D

• Like 3

None of you are good at this. You need to hang out with my mom. " Michelin Man" was always a favorite. :glare:

Pseudo-Mommy says that you are beautiful, Baby.  Stop listening to the voices in your head.  They're wrong; I'm right (I'm always right.  Remember that.  There will be a test later.)

• Like 5

I'm sorry. I didn't like this is because I liked it. I liked it because I can't insult you. My first stepdad's favorite name for me was "K-O-W." And that was when I weighed less than a hundred pounds.

I'm sorry.

Then don't try to do a "real" workout. Work into it.

I'm not smart enough for this.

Pseudo-Mommy says that you are beautiful, Baby.  Stop listening to the voices in your head.  They're wrong; I'm right (I'm always right.  Remember that.  There will be a test later.)

:001_wub:
  • Like 1

Good Monday Morning!  Happy Presidents' Day!

Hope everyone is sleeping in.

Yay for Slache and her kick burro workout!

This week is week 26 of school for us.  I always put the week number in the top left corner of my assignment sheet for the week.  

ETA:  

I love the Music Man.  (You probably already know this, but I think it's really cool that Goodnight My Someone and 76 Trombones are both the same melody.)

I love the Holy Grain insults.  (oops, Holy Grail) 

The info about Stalin and Hitler is really interesting.  I think the first time I learned more about Stalin was when I read the Albert Marrin biography a couple years ago.  I'm sure it's toned down a bit since it's aimed at Middle School / high school, but even so, it was chilling.  

In the Garden of Beasts sounds both frustrating and fascinating.  I'll have to see if the library has that one.  I knew we were very isolationist as a country after WWI, but still....

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3