• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Is this like IEW's other stuff?  Because we tried their Student Writing Intensive in 6th grade and only lasted a couple of weeks before we were both ready to gouge out our own eyes.

(I think writing is really one of those "student specific" areas.  DD is a willing and natural writer.  Susanne Barrett at Brave Writer has finally bullied hectored gently persuaded me to be more Charlotte Mason-ish in my approach to writing with DD.  Which works out well, because it really means just leave her alone and let Brave Writer teach her the necessary skills when she reaches the appropriate age. :thumbup1: )

I have never actually used an IEW writing program or even seen one.  I assume that Windows uses an IEW-influenced style, as it is pretty formulaic.  The way it approaches literature analysis is top notch.  Then the way it teaches writing is very incremental and formulaic, but I think that even a natural writer can benefit from having a formula to follow when writing a literature analysis essay. We're talking about a four paragraph essay here, broken into tiny pieces over four weeks.  I dislike formulaic, and I think I would love Brave Writer if I ever had the energy or desire to add another program to the mix, but I really like the Windows to the World approach.  It is solid, IMO, particularly combined with the Teaching the Classics DVDs and exercises.  I have been very pleased with the program.  I am also good at tweaking and adding additional resources and teaching aids, which I have done a lot of during this class.  This is a course that could easily be used with an 8th grader.  The amount of output is a bit light, but it has been good for my reluctant writers.  It lays a good foundation for understanding literature that will benefit students during the rest of their lives.

Keep in mind I have never actually used this program. :lol:   But yes, it is listed as a high school program.  I like my high school programs to have a combo of literature and writing and this one does appear to do so but one could craft a literature program and do this for writing.  I think it would be best for reluctant writers, though helpful for most writers.  If I had it to do over, I would probably use this either in 8th grade or in the summer between 8th and 9th.  The author is the same one who wrote Windows to the World so I am familiar with her style/approach.  Windows takes a conversational approach to the student that is particularly approachable for teens, IMO.   I do like the author's style, and I have already extolled the virtues of Windows.  

True story:  I had planned to continue to use the WWS books with my boys, even though they resisted them.  They are both reluctant, though adequate, writers.  I stumbled upon the Windows program while reading high school threads on this forum and fell in love with the program.  Next I decided to teach it at co-op.  So I kind of backed in to this whole thing, but now I am really digging the entire approach.  Also, since we are talking, work through Figuratively Speaking with your middle school students, even if you do it orally.  You can trust me on this, too. :laugh:

I have an English degree, so I like creating my own literature programs.  However, teaching writing has come especially hard for me.  I never had to be taught to write -- I just did it -- so, it has been hard for me to teach this skill to the dc.

Ds15 is really benefitting from WWS, but I think that some of the girls may benefit from a different approach (if the budget can support it).

And, Figuratively Speaking is on my bookshelf.  I just have to figure out a time to use it.   :)

edited:  because I am an English teacher and I proofread my own work (after I "publish" it)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

I really think you should chase it.  Noseless is bad.

I can't. I feel terrible, and it hasn't gotten any better for the last three days. Well, actually, it has gotten better. I only have one earache, sore throat and headache have both toned down. But, still.

• Like 1

What does that mean? 

Since we live in the frozen tundra, each of my horses requires a 16 gallon heated water tub in his or her stall.  Miss Scarlet backwashes heavily into hers.  Horsey-hay backwash + heated water = hay infusion.  Which means that I dump and scrub the blasted thing at least every other day.

I console myself by telling everyone that my horsey is a science genius.

It's the little things that keep me going.

• Like 2

Since we live in the frozen tundra, each of my horses requires a 16 gallon heated water tub in his or her stall.  Miss Scarlet backwashes heavily into hers.  Horsey-hay backwash + heated water = hay infusion.  Which means that I dump and scrub the blasted thing at least every other day.

:blink:  That's. Just. Gross.  :ack2:

Lol!  :P

• Like 1

Now we've moved to picking out pinewood derby templates here. Bleh.

Plan for next year for ds:

history: History of the Ancient World, ancient literature,

math: MUS geometry (supplemented with problems from Koeberlein),

english: ancient literature + IEW

science: biology--either macaw or quark's schedule or apologia: need to decide

art: Artistic Pursuits Senior High Book 1: http://www.artisticpursuits.com/2115bk_sh1.html

foreign language: spanish: breaking the barrier 1

elective: ds wants to do movies as literature, but I'm not sure it's going to fly--movies are so classic they are hard to affordably find

Forgive me for being dense.  Is the infusion then something that you put under a microscope? 

I am not being my brightest today  I told my family earlier that "Sherlock:  the Abdominal Bride" was going to be on later tonight. 

• Like 2

Forgive me for being dense.  Is the infusion then something that you put under a microscope? 

I am not being my brightest today  I told my family earlier that "Sherlock:  the Abdominal Bride" was going to be on later tonight. 

Yes.  Hay infusions are popular simple science experiments to illustrate how to grow germies and bacteria.  My horsey apparently majored in Biology. :glare:

ETA:  Hay infusion water is not healthy to drink, not for people or horses.  Hence, the frequent dumping and scrubbing.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

Yes.  Hay infusions are popular simple science experiments to illustrate how to grow germies and bacteria.  My horsey apparently majored in Biology. :glare:

ETA:  Hay infusion water is not healthy to drink, not for people or horses.  Hence, the frequent dumping and scrubbing.

So, now I have learned two new things today.  I'm ahead!!

I may end up being well-educated after all.   :lol:

And... Reason #287 not to own a horse.

• Like 4

Boo hoo

Never mind the boohoo...

Booyah to ring in the New Year... May it be filled with...

Elephant ninjas ready to fight

Wookies

Healthy kids

Well-behaved in-laws

And bosses

Good sleep

Hula dancing

Prosperity

Good skin

Nice neighbors

And all of the good things:-)

Edited by Professormom