• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Rise and Shine!  I'm back, but my likes are not yet.  I think it's a 24 hour thing.  Bummer. 

Good morning!

So I've really always thought the whole running-outta-likes thing was a joke.  

Really? Can you REALLY run out of likes??  I've exceeded the allotted emoticon amount, but have never run out of likes.  

And I use them excessively.  

• Like 1

Anyone want a gorgeous dog who barks for no reason at 5 am?

I've been rehearsing speeches to my jerk BIL since the dog woke me, and it's not conducive to sleep.

Sorry, but no.

This is why I'm oddly silent when y'all start posting adorable pics of your canines.  I love the IDEA of dogs, and will probably have one again some day for the kiddos' sakes, but the reality (barking, smells, drool, that greasy-hairy-ness left on your hands after you cuddle them…) kind of tempers my excitement.  

That said, I did grow up with a wonderful Newf, who was as lovable as anything ever was in spite of possessing many of these doggie qualities to the nth degree.   So some of it I could tolerate if I had to, I guess.  

But not excessive barking.  Or biting.   

• Like 1

Anyone want a gorgeous dog who barks for no reason at 5 am?

I've been rehearsing speeches to my jerk BIL since the dog woke me, and it's not conducive to sleep.

Umm, texasmama?  You have a Great Pyrenees, right? 

Umm, Pyrs bark.  A lot.  But you are mistaken about the whole "no reason" thing.  You see, apparently your homestead was targeted by marauding Huns in the wee hours.  Your noble canine's exquisite sense of hearing detected the gathering hordes, and her thundering sounds of warning frightened them off.

Or maybe it was a neighbor's cat.  But you know how dangerous cats are, right?

In either case, you and your family survived the night, now didn't you?  All because of the brave dog who stayed awake all night defending you and yours.  So leave her alone to sleep on the couch all day, okay?

• Like 5

Umm, texasmama?  You have a Great Pyrenees, right? 

Umm, Pyrs bark.  A lot.  But you are mistaken about the whole "no reason" thing.  You see, apparently your homestead was targeted by marauding Huns in the wee hours.  Your noble canine's exquisite sense of hearing detected the gathering hordes, and her thundering sounds of warning frightened them off.

Or maybe it was a neighbor's cat.  But you know how dangerous cats are, right?

In either case, you and your family survived the night, now didn't you?  All because of the brave dog who stayed awake all night defending you and yours.  So leave her alone to sleep on the couch all day, okay?

Sigh.  I know.  There was probably a marauding squirrel on the back porch or a leaf ninja trying to come in the front door.

My objection is that said Protector of Us All did not cease and desist when I walked out to her crate in the living room, and assured her that I was on duty.  I gave her a treat for something to chew on.  "Chewy stops the chatter."  She persisted, causing me to have to move her into the crate in the garage where there were no marauding squirrels or leaf ninjas.  So I got up early and walked her, but I never went back to sleep after the 5 am bark-a-thon.

I will say that her food bowl was empty this morning so I suspect that a raccoon may have come into the yard and on the back porch and eaten her food during the night.

You are right.  She doesn't bark for no reason.  But hungry raccoons are not a good reason to get up at 5 am.  And when the head B tells her to knock it off because I have the night patrol covered, she needs to do so!  And she rarely barks at night.  Sigh.

Sigh.  I know.  There was probably a marauding squirrel on the back porch or a leaf ninja trying to come in the front door.

My objection is that said Protector of Us All did not cease and desist when I walked out to her crate in the living room, and assured her that I was on duty.  I gave her a treat for something to chew on.  "Chewy stops the chatter."  She persisted, causing me to have to move her into the crate in the garage where there were no marauding squirrels or leaf ninjas.  So I got up early and walked her, but I never went back to sleep after the 5 am bark-a-thon.

I will say that her food bowl was empty this morning so I suspect that a raccoon may have come into the yard and on the back porch and eaten her food during the night.

You are right.  She doesn't bark for no reason.  But hungry raccoons are not a good reason to get up at 5 am.  And when the head B tells her to knock it off because I have the night patrol covered, she needs to do so!  And she rarely barks at night.  Sigh.

:grouphug:   I really am sorry.  I know that now is a really bad time for you to be losing sleep. :grouphug:

• Like 3

We had a dog encounter two weeks ago. Our neighbor has one that they let out at around 2:30 in the morning (what?!?) and I think they then go back to bed because the dog will bark and bark to be let back in. Not a yippy bark, but a deep woof... Over and over and over. Once my husband went over there at three in the am to get them to bring the dog back in. They must sleep like the dead. After months and months of this happening sporadically, it happened for around 1.5 HOURS. He called them at 4:30, after this constant bark fest. They didn't answer their phone! And they have never said a word about it since then! At least the dog hasn't been barking. Don't get me wrong, I like these neighbors and we get along well, but I would be mortified if my pets kept someone awake half the night and disturbed them so much they had to call me at 4:30! I guess everyone handles things differently :rollingeyes:

Note: this is just a vent and is in no way directed at Tex, as she was the one who is bearing the brunt of the barking burden, not her neighbors:-)

On a much creepier note, there is a man in the neighborhood across from ours that has apparently been knocking on doors, asking to use the bathroom, and then shoving his foot in the door to force his way in. Police are on it, but I am a little worried and frankly peeved. Today is the most beautiful day we have had all year, and I want my doors open and to experience the day in peace. What I do not feel like doing is keeping a Glock next to me all day so I can protect myself and my older in-laws should said psycho come a-knockin. (And yes, I know how to use a Glock... Told you I can be a BA, lol.) Dh is putting pier in with kiddos and since he is a 4th degree black belt, I can at least feel good about their safety.

I also just realized that I am not entirely sure how Glock is spelled, but am under too much stress to Google it :lol: Happy Saturday, peeps.

• Like 2

We had a dog encounter two weeks ago. Our neighbor has one that they let out at around 2:30 in the morning (what?!?) and I think they then go back to bed because the dog will bark and bark to be let back in. Not a yippy bark, but a deep woof... Over and over and over. Once my husband went over there at three in the am to get them to bring the dog back in. They must sleep like the dead. After months and months of this happening sporadically, it happened for around 1.5 HOURS. He called them at 4:30, after this constant bark fest. They didn't answer their phone! And they have never said a word about it since then! At least the dog hasn't been barking. Don't get me wrong, I like these neighbors and we get along well, but I would be mortified if my pets kept someone awake half the night and disturbed them so much they had to call me at 4:30! I guess everyone handles things differently :rollingeyes:

Note: this is just a vent and is in no way directed at Tex, as she was the one who is bearing the brunt of the barking burden, not her neighbors:-)

On a much creepier note, there is a man in the neighborhood across from ours that has apparently been knocking on doors, asking to use the bathroom, and then shoving his foot in the door to force his way in. Police are on it, but I am a little worried and frankly peeved. Today is the most beautiful day we have had all year, and I want my doors open and to experience the day in peace. What I do not feel like doing is keeping a Glock next to me all day so I can protect myself and my older in-laws should said psycho come a-knockin. (And yes, I know how to use a Glock... Told you I can be a BA, lol.) Dh is putting pier in with kiddos and since he is a 4th degree black belt, I can at least feel good about their safety.

I also just realized that I am not entirely sure how Glock is spelled, but am under too much stress to Google it :lol: Happy Saturday, peeps.

Hint:  One can rack an empty shotgun and make the same sound as a loaded one makes.  That sound will carry through a closed door.  And it's safer to have around short people.  ;)

• Like 4

That's insane. Your vagina must have magical powers. So... you do Insanity Max:30 3 times a day?

Holy bounce back, Batman! I was half dead for months after both of my kids... Then again, they were pretty traumatic pregnancies and births, but still. You are my hero.

I don't think you should put "magical Vajajay" as your new title though. I am pretty sure we would all get locked out of this thread and that would be a tragedy!

Eta: my spellcheck seemed to recognize Vajajay. It even capitalized it. I find that intriguing.

• Like 5

Hint: One can rack an empty shotgun and make the same sound as a loaded one makes. That sound will carry through a closed door. And it's safer to have around short people. ;)

Ha! I like the way you think. Although the 9mm is my tool of choice, that racking noise is pretty intimidating. What I really need though, is the pearl handled six-shooters that Doc Holliday had in Tombstone. He is the bomb. I'm yer Huckleberry.

(And just a disclaimer, we do not have weaponry laying around the house. Unloaded and locked in a safe. I am also not a gun nut. I don't think about them much unless there is a nut job after me or my family... Which is a fairly rare occurrence :lol: Just needed to make that clear.)

• Like 2

Ha! I like the way you think. Although the 9mm is my tool of choice, that racking noise is pretty intimidating. What I really need though, is the pearl handled six-shooters that Doc Holliday had in Tombstone. He is the bomb. I'm yer Huckleberry.

(And just a disclaimer, we do not have weaponry laying around the house. Unloaded and locked in a safe. I am also not a gun nut. I don't think about them much unless there is a nut job after me or my family... Which is a fairly rare occurrence :lol: Just needed to make that clear.)

That's okay.  I've got the gun nut part covered.

• Like 3

Since I told dd that I wouldn't talk about place of schooling next year until she gets back from her dance intensive the end of July, it only leaves you guys for me to talk to about it.

Just letting you know just in case I randomly mention something about that.

Last year I prepped and prepped, and discussed on these boards and her, and we started homeschooling. Only for her to get accepted at the charter 2 months in, after a wonderful recommendation from her dance teacher, and an audition she thought she flubbed. My feelings were actually hurt.

Oh well. I'm kinda sure at this point she's coming home.

• Like 1

Since I told dd that I wouldn't talk about place of schooling next year until she gets back from her dance intensive the end of July, it only leaves you guys for me to talk to about it.

Just letting you know just in case I randomly mention something about that.

Last year I prepped and prepped, and discussed on these boards and her, and we started homeschooling. Only for her to get accepted at the charter 2 months in, after a wonderful recommendation from her dance teacher, and an audition she thought she flubbed. My feelings were actually hurt.

Oh well. I'm kinda sure at this point she's coming home.

Life has annoying way of disrupting all our well-made plans, doesn't it?  :grouphug:

Or would you prefer 

72x72x1f618-twitter.png.pagespeed.ic.TSR

• Like 1

Oooh another smart duck!  A completely protected, isolated patch of land to hatch her babes, with a parade and media coverage once they've arrived.  

Forget Texas.  I'm moving to Montana.  

I know I'm supposed to be signing off here, but just saw that pic again and THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO STINKIN' CUUUUTE!

Stop making me want more babies!!!!!

• Like 2

He split his lip on the bottom really bad and got the top gum too. There was blood EVERYWHERE. It dipped down his arms all over his clothes. It's not that bad but because it was on his head he bled horribly and was terrified. He's watching some cooking rat in the urgent care waiting room. He's happy he doesn't have to take a nap, so that tells you his mental state now.

He split his lip on the bottom really bad and got the top gum too. There was blood EVERYWHERE. It dipped down his arms all over his clothes. It's not that bad but because it was on his head he bled horribly and was terrified. He's watching some cooking rat in the urgent care waiting room. He's happy he doesn't have to take a nap, so that tells you his mental state now.

Poor little guy. Just tell him he now has "war wounds". That always made my guys feel very manly. They also wanted scars??!!

• Like 2

Off to the ER with John. This will be his 3rd set of stitches.

I'm so sorry!!!

So glad he's found the silver lining! 

• Like 1

Oh no, poor guy!

And that's Ratatouille, not some cooking rat. I hear he did well.

• Like 2

I know I'm supposed to be signing off here, but just saw that pic again and THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO STINKIN' CUUUUTE!

Stop making me want more babies!!!!!

Show your dh and see what he says when you tell him to imagine it's you guys.

• Like 3

I am finished. Things are much nicer. 4 trips to the dumpster, one trunk load for goodwill and 2 very neat closets. We found a picture of Pooh's birthday party from when Matt was young and hung it in the kid's room. Machel's happy... for now. A conversation between my husband and son:

"When will you be finished?"

"I think Mama will be finished when we have no more material possessions."

I didn't know he was on to me. :leaving:

As we all were returning from paddleboarding today we passed a garage sale in the next neighborhood over.  "They have a lot of cr*p," DH said.  "I don't think we have anything near that much junk."  Then he looked at me directly and said, "Thank you!"

Yay, he's still noticing my efforts!

• Like 5

She likes school...to a point. She just can never really find her place in it. And she's a bully magnet.

---------personal info deleted --------------------------

I broke down and cried once I got home. And I don't easily cry. It was extremely stressful.

I told her just now, I keep  considering whether to should just homeschool the rest of high school. Her answer? "Yeah, I know. Right?"

Lots and lots of hugs to you both.  I've been there, and I sympathize. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

On a different note, I was filing away the bulk of the year's school work and writing up a summary of what we completed for my younger three.  It was sufficient.  It was good.  But it wasn't what I thought it would look like when the year began.  Areas I thought we would shine, became "get 'er done and we'll try something else next year."  A hope of enjoying the pursuit of goodness, truth, and beauty, became a scratching and clawing to get to the end.  I'm not as upset as it may sound.  It's okay.  But it sets me back on my heels a bit as I think about planning next year.

Yup, the shiny wore off of some of the things we were thrilled about this year, too.  I'm beginning to catch on -- every year will be a reassess-what-we-are-doing year here, I think.  I'm starting to actually embrace that, though, much to my children's simultaneous enjoyment and consternation....

Bwa.  ha.  ha.

• Like 1

My kids have never needed stitches. I've only had one after a wisdom tooth extraction.

dd just learned to do sutures last week. I think she's half hoping one of us will need her services so she can practice.

He climbed onto a chair and fell backwards onto the harth before he was a year old. He was running through the house and fell forward into a corner and got a crush injury on his eyebrow at two and a half. This time was the coffee table. I was the same way. Huge kids are clumsy kids and he's the size of an 8 year old.
  • Like 1

I understand. (((hugs)))  Having Nan here has simplified things for us, and I am hoping that that translates into school, as well.

Renai, it sounds like dd is willing to consider being at home so since you have buy-in, I would look strongly at it.  

Our current issue du jour is two bedrooms and three kids because of Nan.  This is a lot more complex than it sounds due to ASD of one, middle childness of another, sibling rivalry, and a loud, creaky bunk that keeps the person on the ground floor awake.  Add a large dog in one room and a cat in the other, and it tips the scales.  Current plan, as I am Solomon cutting the baby in two here:  Take the extremely large dog with her crate back into the living room where she started out before foster cats.  Foster cats are upstairs now so they are not a factor for cat-crazy dog.  This frees up a space under the bunk bed where large dog crate was.  Move lower bunk from the attic and put it where dog crate was.  Put little dd on bottom bunk in room with ds14, as they have the least sibling rivalry, and give middle child issues/OCD/creaky bunk boy back his room with the cat.  The kicker is that I will pay ds14 to have little dd in his room.  No, I do not HAVE to do this because I, after all, own the entire home.  But having Nan here has rocked all of our worlds, and I want to balance everyone needs on the head of this pin.  Ds14 loves money so it will ease his pain.   :) Little dd only sleeps in a room, as well as does ds14. They both live out in the rest of the house.  Ds12 spends a lot of time in his room.  It is a sanctuary for him.  Ds14 NEEDS to spend more time in his room due to ASD and getting overwhelmed socially with the huge lot of us, but he will not.  So my plan to get him down time is to send him upstairs to the bonus room/dh's office because he likes it there.  If dh is amenable, he can watch sports on the TV.  I have also told little dd that when her room (currently housing Nan and a caregiver at night) is hers again, we will paint it purple and redo it.  She is flexible.  My boys are less so.  Currently, little dd is on the creaky top bunk in ds12's room, and although I bought some supplies and had my dad over to try and fix the creaks, it still creaks.  Wish I never bought it (metal loft bed from Walmart).  Worst.bed.ever.  

So that is my major plan, and I am pretty pleased with it.  Ds14 is the linchpin in all of it since he has been high in irritability lately.  Need to help him self-regulate.  Ds12 will relax once he has his room back, and little dd will be fine being in older brother's room. Mamas, I am the peacemaker here, and it is a lot lately.  Send me some hugs and prayers, please.

Sounds like a plan!  You seem to have found something that works in one way or another for everyone there.

I have a nephew up north (he has one sib, a sister) who has his own room, but doesn't like to sleep there.  He prefers sleeping in the guest bedroom, which is set apart from the rest of the bedrooms just a little bit.  I'm a little surprised that SIL & BIL haven't just made that officially his room, but I suspect for him it's more restful not only because of the increased separation from noise, but from the visual clutter of his things, too.  When family does come to visit there are usually too many of us and we tend to stay at a nearby hotel, so the guest room seldom gets used by actual overnight guests.

More hugs for you.  And FYI:  every hug I give is a perpetual hug that never grows stale or expires.  You get it for forever.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Ds did break his arm once when he was 6 but that mostly my fault. He was zooming like he always did but I had put down a slippery open sleeping bag on the floor and he went down hard. Breaking bones sound like cracking dry spaghetti btw. If I didn't go into crisis management mode I would have barfed. at that sound.

Man you guys are a mess. Hugs and prayers all around. I'm just now getting over all of my issues. Half of my tooth just fell off if that helps.

I'm sorry to hear that!  More hugs for you:  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So, (JoJosMom, look away!), which half?  The eating surface, or one of the sides (root to tip)?  Just trying to visualize it, so my nephew who just broke his own tooth can commiserate with you.

Ds did break his arm once when he was 6 but that mostly my fault. He was zooming like he always did but I had put down a slippery open sleeping bag on the floor and he went down hard. Breaking bones sound like cracking dry spaghetti btw. If I didn't go into crisis management mode I would have barfed. at that sound.

I'll tell you about our first break in a week or two. You know, after it happens.

No, you weren't. You're just intimidated by Slash. But don't worry. Despite the name, she's really a marshmallow.

Careful there!  In my kids' Learn Java through Minecraft modding class the instructor is making marshmallow items and coding the marshmallow goo to be incredibly strong.  It'll cut through anything right now!

• Like 1

OK, that's partially true, but I'm also like a foot taller than her.

*sigh*  But now you are making me think of the StayPuff Marshmallow Man....

• Like 2

My kids have never needed stitches.  I've only had one after a wisdom tooth extraction.

dd just learned to do sutures last week. I think she's half hoping one of us will need her services so she can practice.

I JUST got this done a week ago - both extraction and stitches. I'm beginning to wonder if she just likes pulling teeth because it didn't look that bad.

DENTAL ALERT

I'm sorry to hear that! More hugs for you: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So, (JoJosMom, look away!), which half? The eating surface, or one of the sides (root to tip)? Just trying to visualize it, so my nephew who just broke his own tooth can commiserate with you.

The side. It's grey and is being removed soon. It keeps coming off in little chunks. I can put my finger inside the whole and touch the gum. I'm going to keep it and use it while talking to the kids about dental hygiene.

• Like 2

Hugs to everyone!!!!!!

Also I forgot and had a glass of wine too close to a medication so math homework with my deaf ds is great fun tonight.

ETA: he is responding better to my tipsy math better than any othervtime. Must remember this.

:ohmy:

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Ah, yes. I'd completely forgotten that I'd read that earlier. I must be getting old. I actually like Slashaboo, btw. Are ya gonna use it when you get to the top of a page?

No no, that would be "Slashabooyah!"

• Like 2

DENTAL ALERT

The side. It's grey and is being removed soon. It keeps coming off in little chunks. I can put my finger inside the whole and touch the gum. I'm going to keep it and use it while talking to the kids about dental hygiene.

Maybe they'll get the point?? Hopefully they won't become traumatized like Jojosmom.

• Like 3