Menu

What do you do for Bible "curriculum" for PreK and 1st grade?

This year, with my 3yo and 5yo, I chose a story a week for 36 weeks. We read it in a children's Bible each day at breakfast. When I get organized, we have The Bible in Felt (that we got on super clearance, but uncut, hence the organization part. It's a lot to cut!) to go along with the story each day. Fridays, my 5yo does a Bible journal page illustrating the story. We do copy work based on a 1 sentence caption he dictates. Then he dictates a summary to me that I write. My 3yo does a coloring page I find online and then dictates a summary.

I am thinking that next year we will read the same stories but from the actual Bible instead of a children's Bible. I love the journaling aspect and plan on keeping it, but would like at least 1 more step along the way to help with comprehension that is low-prep but engaging. My boys are not big worksheet fans.

Any suggestions?

How many Bible stories do you do a week? Do you feel like your child retains it if you do more than 1? Some curriculums I have looked at seem to do 1 a day.

How do you incorporate memory work and character education into your Bible curriculum? This year we have been doing Raising Lil Rock Stars for memory work. One verse a week, with breaks for review. My kids are great memorizers, but I feel like the point is not sinking in.

We have been doing We Choose Virtues for a couple years now and love it.

Is there any program that combines a Bible story, comprehension, memory verse, application, and character building in an engaging way? And preferably non-consumable, if there are printables involved.

Thanks!

We are way more laid back than that. We do memory work with our Sunday school and I just read through story Bibles with the little ones. One daily. We also do Postal Bible Study (only 1 lesson/week), Rod and Staff Bible book B in K, and CLE Bible in 1st and up.

The Jesus Storybook Bible has a free downloadable curriculum to go with the book. If mine were your kids' ages, I'd do that.

We just read lots of Bible stories and talked about them, did some coloring pages and memorized Scripture and sang hymns.

Gospel Light and Great Commission both have good coloring books.

We also did the at-home activities from their Sunday school papers.

They are little, keep it simple.

• Like 1

When DD was four, we used...

51dZ3ME-ZhL._AA160_.jpgThere's a #1 too.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Bible-Story-Activity-Pages/dp/0830752269/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1426293540&sr=8-6&keywords=big+book+of+bible+activity

We also read through The Jesus Storybook Bible. We are/were reading The Action Bible, but whoa that one's daunting. Awesome, but daunting. I've also checked out picture book versions of various Bible stories.

I've always found the Bible Study Guide for All Ages appealing, but have never used it.

http://www.biblestudyguide.com/index.php

51%2Bm5GD0qIL._AA160_.jpg

This Bible has activities during and after each story. I did sanitize certain parts. (Didn't feel like DD needed to know what circumcise meant, but that's just me.)

http://www.amazon.com/First-Hands--Bible-Group-Publishing/dp/1414348304/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426294065&sr=8-2&keywords=hands+on+bible

ETA: Okay, my suggestions aren't really what you want, but I was in a chatty mood. :p

• Like 1

Pretty simple around here. We read a story every couple days out of a children's Bible and also do 'we choose virtues' (one card each time we read a Bible story), and for memory work, we listen to CDs such as songs for saplings or those in the SL curriculum for about 10 minutes while I let him play quietly for a break. There's a great memory program for scripture on the simply Charlotte mason site, but ds is still a smidge young for it imo. I'll start more formal work there in a year or two.

Ds has fine motor delay, so we try to limit writing and coloring to very fun, very desired projects if it isn't basics like his HWT book or copywork. He tires of worksheets/coloring etc quickly and gets irritable, so I rarely add that sort of stuff to our curriculum unless he requests it.

I really feel that at this age, application is best provided on a spontaneous verbal basis by parents as the occasion arises. I'm not looking for a curriculum to provide that at this stage :). Deeper - we read Leading Little Ones to God every few years.

• Like 2

Take a look at Bible Study Guide for All Ages. You could use the beginner pages with both or bump your oldest up to the primary pages if you feel she's ready.

You study the same chapter in the Bible, but each child would have pages at their own level. There is a review section, memory work, the bible story, and an application section.

• Like 1

We read a Bible story every night after dinner as our family devotion time.  After reading the story, we talk about it, and we practice our family memory work. 

This year I joined a Community Bible Study--a multi-denominational, international organization.  They have classes for each year of preschool, and mine also offers K-2 and 3-5 homeschool classes.  The little ones hear a Bible story, sing songs, do a craft, etc; the older kids work through a simplified version of the adult study, complete with 5 nights a week of Bible reading and reflection questions. 

Then of course there's Sunday School, where they get another good dose of the Bible stories in addition to memorizing verses, creeds, books of the Bible, etc.

Between those three venues, I feel like we're gaining lots of exposure/familiarity with the content of the Bible, and starting with K they get to delve into it more deeply through formal Bible study.  For Pre-K through 1 or 2, I'm content with that.

Thank you everyone for answering! You have given me a lot to look into and I appreciate you taking the time! 

Positive Action?

We're reading The Family Time Bible in Pictures in the morning, One Perfect Life in the evenings with Daddy and memorizing John 1.

Slanche- I am loving the 1st grade Positive Action curriculum! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I especially love that they have a shorter version laid out for homeschoolers that still includes everything I mentioned wanting. And even though it looks like the workbook is consumable, a) it is inexpensive and b) it is not necessary to understand the lesson. I haven't looked at the other two resources you mentioned yet. 

You might like the Picture Smart Bible for the younger set.  They have one curriculum for the olders and one for the youngers.  It is like journaling but designed for little children.  You use whatever Bible you want to go with it.

lorisuewho- I have heard about that one before from 1+1+1=1. They seem to really like it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cmama- I will look into them! Thanks for all your thoughts!

The Jesus Storybook Bible has a free downloadable curriculum to go with the book. If mine were your kids' ages, I'd do that.

We just read lots of Bible stories and talked about them, did some coloring pages and memorized Scripture and sang hymns.
Gospel Light and Great Commission both have good coloring books.

We also did the at-home activities from their Sunday school papers.

ScoutTN- We have been using the JSB for a couple years now. Love it! I looked at the curriculum and it is aimed at older kids, I think, but I am keeping it in mind. Thanks for the advice!

When DD was four, we used...

51dZ3ME-ZhL._AA160_.jpg

We also read through The Jesus Storybook Bible. We are/were reading The Action Bible, but whoa that one's daunting. Awesome, but daunting. I've also checked out picture book versions of various Bible stories.

I've always found the Bible Study Guide for All Ages appealing, but have never used it.

51%2Bm5GD0qIL._AA160_.jpg

pitterpatter- Always love to chat  :) Thanks for your suggestions! Need to do some research now  :)

Pretty simple around here. We read a story every couple days out of a children's Bible and also do 'we choose virtues' (one card each time we read a Bible story), and for memory work, we listen to CDs such as songs for saplings or those in the SL curriculum for about 10 minutes while I let him play quietly for a break. There's a great memory program for scripture on the simply Charlotte mason site, but ds is still a smidge young for it imo. I'll start more formal work there in a year or two.

joyoustxmama- We love "We Choose Virtues" and "Songs for Saplings" too! Thanks  :)

I just read my girls a a Bible story and we have memory verse cards we go over. Memorizing Scripture is really my goal at this age.

KrissiK- That's pretty much what we have been doing as well. My kids memorize really quickly, so I am ready to add a little bit more comprehension or challenge for them. 

• Like 1

We used the Rod & Staff Readers in first.  They are wonderful!!

Sweetpeasmom- I will look into them! Thanks!

I really feel that at this age, application is best provided on a spontaneous verbal basis by parents as the occasion arises. I'm not looking for a curriculum to provide that at this stage   :). Deeper - we read Leading Little Ones to God every few years.

Jennifer- you are more confident than I am! I like some guidance. I might not follow the curriculum exactly, which is partly why I don't want something expensive, but I want some guidance for how best to make connections with them and draw out the truths of a passage in the best way for their ages. I will look into Leading Little Ones to God. Thanks!

My first graders also just read and discuss. My current first grader knows the major stories already, so she's been picking up the lesser known ones and going deeper than Sunday School level on the big ones. This is foundational.   :001_smile:  I've never been big on Bible curricula itself, but I started using Bible Road Trip about a month ago. 

Sword Fighting by Henley. 

Training Hearts Teaching Minds by Starr Meade can't be beat. \

Deeper Bible itself you might also look at Telling God's Story or God's Great Covenant. The latter isn't intended for first graders, so you'd have to modify it or slow it down. Perhaps you could get Victor Journey Through the Bible for you to read for yourself, and then teach in a top-down fashion; I wouldn't expect a 1st grader to just listen to it on their own.

SilverMoon- Someone else posted the repeat comment. I definitely feel heard and helped   :) I will look into the resources you mentioned. Thanks! Both my older sons know the major Bible stories as well. I want to challenge them a little bit next year. 

Take a look at Bible Study Guide for All Ages. 

Chelli- I have been looking at this one. My SIL used it and loved it. I wish it was reproducible within a family. That's really my biggest concern. 

We read a Bible story every night after dinner as our family devotion time.  After reading the story, we talk about it, and we practice our family memory work. 

This year I joined a Community Bible Study--a multi-denominational, international organization.  

Then of course there's Sunday School, where they get another good dose of the Bible stories in addition to memorizing verses, creeds, books of the Bible, etc.

eternallytired- Thanks for your thoughts! 

I feel like I want something a little deeper than just exposure to the stories for my oldest. 3a.jpg

If I offended you, I'm sorry! I am assuming that is why you quoted me without a comment. I know that exposure is important and didn't mean to make it sound like I don't think it is. My kids have memorized Scripture and can recite Bible stories. I want to challenge them a bit more next fall. Good luck in your homeschooling!

Chelli- I have been looking at this one. My SIL used it and loved it. I wish it was reproducible within a family. That's really my biggest concern. 

You can now buy the student pages as PDF files through Currclick which makes it more family friendly.

I just had another idea for you! We don't don't for Bible curric, but DH read through Long STory Short (half of it or so) during devotional times with the girls. It includes object lessons, prayer, scripture readings, and application as it moves through the Bible (OT in this volume). Always points to Christ. Pretty open and go!

My first graders also just read and discuss. My current first grader knows the major stories already, so she's been picking up the lesser known ones and going deeper than Sunday School level on the big ones. This is foundational. :001_smile: I've never been big on Bible curricula itself, but I started using Bible Road Trip about a month ago. My younger kids all do it together, but they're not truly "combined" in it. If you add the extra books it schedules it will go deeper than just Bible stories.

Silvermoon- I have been looking at Bible Road Trip and it is awesome! It is almost exactly what I am looking for and it is free, which is such a blessing. The only thing it doesn't include is the "character building" type of component, but we do love We Choose Virtues, and can continue to use that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just had another idea for you! We don't don't for Bible curric, but DH read through Long STory Short (half of it or so) during devotional times with the girls. It includes object lessons, prayer, scripture readings, and application as it moves through the Bible (OT in this volume). Always points to Christ. Pretty open and go!

Thanks for continuing to think about my question, Jennifer! I will look into it :)

• Like 1

We have never used a Bible curriculum. We all have devotions together on a daily basis. When my kids were younger we used the Jesus StoryBook Bible. (Which I love!)  For the past few years we've been using a devotional that goes through the New Testament. We memorize verses altogether. For the last year we've been working on verses that go through John (from Ann Voskamps Scripture memory for ordinary people).

We have never used a Bible curriculum. We all have devotions together on a daily basis. When my kids were younger we used the Jesus StoryBook Bible. (Which I love!)  For the past few years we've been using a devotional that goes through the New Testament. We memorize verses altogether. For the last year we've been working on verses that go through John (from Ann Voskamps Scripture memory for ordinary people).

Jess- Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We love the JSB, too!

My kids have really enjoyed it so far. It's pretty painless to implement. I do recommend getting the extra books they suggest buying for the LG level. We found them pretty cheap in the used section on Amazon.

If you keep character in mind as you read through the Bible stories and point out how those people did or didn't use desired character traits, you'll get plenty. :001_smile:

SilverMoon- The extra books looks great! I have been pricing them used, too :)

As far as character traits go, I am not great at winging it. If I don't have something in front of me, I get distracted. I need visual cues or boxes to check off. 

We have also used and enjoyed materials from Children Desiring God. Their curriculum is excellent.

Another fun one is the Pilgrim's Progress curriculum form Great Commission Publications. It is intended for classroom use, but adapts easily. My kids love the reader and the audio and the story itself provides so much discussion.

I have also used the Big Bible Timeline, Leading Little Ones to God, Long Story Short and Old Story New and the Vos story Bible. All very good.

Seconding the vote for Starr Meade's book on the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

If you prefer a children's catechism, we love the Ask Me Whooo Cds. Catechism is a great way to teach systematic theology!

We have also used and enjoyed materials from Children Desiring God. Their curriculum is excellent.

Another fun one is the Pilgrim's Progress curriculum form Great Commission Publications. It is intended for classroom use, but adapts easily. My kids love the reader and the audio and the story itself provides so much discussion.

I have also used the Big Bible Timeline, Leading Little Ones to God, Long Story Short and Old Story New and the Vos story Bible. All very good.

Seconding the vote for Starr Meade's book on the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

If you prefer a children's catechism, we love the Ask Me Whooo Cds. Catechism is a great way to teach systematic theology!

ScoutTN- That is what our church uses. I agree that it is a wonderful curriculum. I will look into your other suggestions! Thank you :)

We love Leading Little Ones to God. It is more of a family devotional, but it starts off so simply. I am starting for the second time around, for my almost 4 year old to hear as well. 

peaceful isle- I love what I have read about that. Thanks!

We read Egermeier's Story Bible, and worked on their AWANA verses. 

MerryAtHope- I have heard great things about that Bible. Thanks for the suggestion!

We love Leading Little Ones to God. It is more of a family devotional, but it starts off so simply. I am starting for the second time around, for my almost 4 year old to hear as well. 

We have been using this as well in the morning and doing a more in-depth study with my oldest.  I love it.  It is a very gentle approach to all the important concepts of our faith.  For each devotional, it goes through a story type explanation that is actually pretty deep and so well written, but age-appropriate.  It also includes a passage in the Bible you could read for yourself that ties into the lesson.  There is a memory verse in each lesson, but we do not memorize them all as we do it daily.  Then there is a hymn and a prayer included with each lesson, which is great in exposing them to the hymns of our faith.  It is one of those gems I picked up and just love, even if it isn't the flashiest or newest material.  

We have been using this as well in the morning and doing a more in-depth study with my oldest.  I love it.  It is a very gentle approach to all the important concepts of our faith.  For each devotional, it goes through a story type explanation that is actually pretty deep and so well written, but age-appropriate.  It also includes a passage in the Bible you could read for yourself that ties into the lesson.  There is a memory verse in each lesson, but we do not memorize them all as we do it daily.  Then there is a hymn and a prayer included with each lesson, which is great in exposing them to the hymns of our faith.  It is one of those gems I picked up and just love, even if it isn't the flashiest or newest material.  

AdventuresinHomeschooling- Thanks for your thoughts! It looks like a really sweet devotional!