Menu

Summer Camps/Day Camps

jenn-

Has anyone else started in on this process?  I just signed my oldest 3 up for AIMS through the Alabama School of Math and Science.  It is the first year the twins are old enough to go and the last year my daughter is eligible.  The boys are going to have a very long wait for the camp to get here.  DD wants to go but doesn't want to be away from her boyfriend for the week, so her excitement will be building after she gets closer.  She is a repeat camper, although she missed last year because of a schedule conflict.  The boys cannot wait to hopefully take rocketry, cooking, and land, air, space travel for one of them, and Hogwarts, Robotics, and a class that uses 3D printers for the other.  They are going to be roommates, but this will be the first time they have really done completely different things from each other.  DD is signed up for an ACT prep class (kicking and screaming but she needs it), using JAVA to create a webpage (perfect for her), and exploring inner space with high tech microscope usage.  Add to that swimming, dodge ball, dorm competitions, etc and I know they will have a blast.  Now to find something for the youngest to do....

• Like 2

Yes!  I started in February, because some of the camps around here fill up that early.  I was actually too late for some.  And, too early for others.  :P

This year it seems there are certain weeks that are very popular for camps, and others that are unpopular.  :P  I had to pass on some of the camps because of overlap.

So this is what I believe we're going to do.

• Family scout camp (weekend in a tent) - early/mid June
  • Jr. Medical camp - this sounds like more of a survival / first aid camp (1-week day camp)
  • Latin America culture camp (1-week day camp)
  • Travel to Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Monaco (about 2 weeks)
  • Theater camp (2 weeks, mornings only, plus 2 weekend shows)
  • 4-H outdoorsy camp (1 week day camp + 1 overnight)
  • County fair with aunt (looking into 4H opportunities)
  • Math Monkey back-to-school camp & enrichment  (1 week, morning camp + lunch hour camp)
  • Math Monkey weekly review / enrichment classes (1 evening per week)
  • TKD camp?  The TKD folks are talking about starting one.
  • TKD at least 1 evening per week.
  • Horse & archery camp - no schedule yet, but they usually have camps to fill in 2-3 weeks, mornings only.
  • Horse riding lessons Saturday mornings.
  • Gymnastics camps - no schedule yet, but they usually have afternoon camps on selected days.
  • Gymnastics  evening class(es)
  • Rec center day camp - to fill in any afternoons that are open.
  • Swim team - biweekly practice at the rec center, meets ??
  • Piano, probably just working on it independently; and maybe starting to learn a school orchestra instrument.
  • Reading - big collection of non-AR books, library, looking into possible book club.
  • Afterschooling - hoping to spend time with Beast Academy, MCT, Story of the World, bridge type materials, Spanish storybooks, and more.
  • Planning to look for a volunteering opportunity at nearby national forest.

This is similar to our last 2 summers.  It may sound like a lot, but it works for us.  (I work full-time, so they need to be busy somewhere.)

I want to go to that camp!

My sister actually attended the school for her 11th and 12th grades (she was there before they accepted 10th graders).  She's the one that convinced me to send the oldest originally.  Honestly the cost for the week long camp is amazingly cheap per student.  I totally think some of the classes sound really fun.

Yes!  I started in February, because some of the camps around here fill up that early.  I was actually too late for some.  And, too early for others.  :p

This year it seems there are certain weeks that are very popular for camps, and others that are unpopular.  :p  I had to pass on some of the camps because of overlap.

So this is what I believe we're going to do.

• Family scout camp (weekend in a tent) - early/mid June
  • Jr. Medical camp - this sounds like more of a survival / first aid camp (1-week day camp)
  • Latin America culture camp (1-week day camp)
  • Travel to Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Monaco (about 2 weeks)
  • Theater camp (2 weeks, mornings only, plus 2 weekend shows)
  • 4-H outdoorsy camp (1 week day camp + 1 overnight)
  • County fair with aunt (looking into 4H opportunities)
  • Math Monkey back-to-school camp & enrichment  (1 week, morning camp + lunch hour camp)
  • Math Monkey weekly review / enrichment classes (1 evening per week)
  • TKD camp?  The TKD folks are talking about starting one.
  • TKD at least 1 evening per week.
  • Horse & archery camp - no schedule yet, but they usually have camps to fill in 2-3 weeks, mornings only.
  • Horse riding lessons Saturday mornings.
  • Gymnastics camps - no schedule yet, but they usually have afternoon camps on selected days.
  • Gymnastics  evening class(es)
  • Rec center day camp - to fill in any afternoons that are open.
  • Swim team - biweekly practice at the rec center, meets ??
  • Piano, probably just working on it independently; and maybe starting to learn a school orchestra instrument.
  • Reading - big collection of non-AR books, library, looking into possible book club.
  • Afterschooling - hoping to spend time with Beast Academy, MCT, Story of the World, bridge type materials, Spanish storybooks, and more.
  • Planning to look for a volunteering opportunity at nearby national forest.

This is similar to our last 2 summers.  It may sound like a lot, but it works for us.  (I work full-time, so they need to be busy somewhere.)

That does sound like a busy schedule but understandable for a full time worker.  Right now I am trying to figure out what to do with the youngest.  I'm eyeballing a day camp hosted by the local animal reserve.

My kids will be doing Boy Scout camps.  This is the first year youngest will be at a week long camp.  DH is going with him.  It is at the coast and he will have a chance for studying a lot of different things including Oceanography.  My older son will be going with his troop to a horse camp. My DD is going to be staff in training at a Cub Scout camp with horses.  She is very excited.  Next summer she is going with her Venturing Crew to Philmont.

• Like 1

We are considering a running camp, but DS isn't sure he wants to or not. I have sort of mixed feelings about it, but I'd be supportive if he decides to go.

Is this a camp for people that like to run like a soccer camp or is it aimed more to sprinters and track events?  Is it an overnight camp or a day camp?

Is this a camp for people that like to run like a soccer camp or is it aimed more to sprinters and track events? Is it an overnight camp or a day camp?

We have a week long XC running camp and also one for track. DS runs both but prefers distance running, so that's the camp he'd be most interested in. It's pretty intensive from what I can tell, which he would love, but I think he'd like to have someone there whom he already knows.

We don't ordinarily do summer camps, however, my oldest dd does attend a diabetes camp put on by her endocrinologist and the local children's hospital.  It's been an amazing thing for her.  All the kids there are type 1 diabetics.  For four glorious days she gets to hang out with kids just like her and for four glorious days, I don't have to think about whether she's testing enough, what her numbers are, how many carbs are in what she just ate, will she go low tonight or too high?  It's a fantastic break for all of us.  :)  That said, the camp fills up really, really quickly.  I'm stalking the website waiting for registration to open.  :P

• Like 3

We have a week long XC running camp and also one for track. DS runs both but prefers distance running, so that's the camp he'd be most interested in. It's pretty intensive from what I can tell, which he would love, but I think he'd like to have someone there whom he already knows.

Don't let the lack of knowing someone keep him away. My dd has had to get over her shyness and learn to be more social with strangers because of camps where she didn't know anyone. I think it is easier for her to do that for the week because no one knows what she is really like at home and she can be whoever she wants to be for that week.

Don't let the lack of knowing someone keep him away. My dd has had to get over her shyness and learn to be more social with strangers because of camps where she didn't know anyone. I think it is easier for her to do that for the week because no one knows what she is really like at home and she can be whoever she wants to be for that week.

It doesn't bother me but does concern him. He's an introvert and highly unlikely to reach out to others. I get it. I would have hated being put in that situation as a kid--still would. He is fully aware that going with a friend would make it more comfortable for him.

I envy your daughter for having that ability. I spent the only time I went to camp hiding and getting out of everything I could. I was careful to not put myself in such a humiliating and stressful experience again! ugh.

Camps fill by early February here so we are al signed up.

AHG camp for Dd. Her first time for sleep away camp!

Local farm daycamp for Ds.

Each one week.

Dd gets to go with me to the AHG convention too.

These plus swim team and VBS make a full summer for us!

I love camp (out in nature all day type camp) but our resources are limited and camp is expensive!

There are a zillion fun in the city, learn about stuff in a fun way, camps here too, but I choose a traditional outdoor camp for my kids at this point.

It doesn't bother me but does concern him. He's an introvert and highly unlikely to reach out to others. I get it. I would have hated being put in that situation as a kid--still would. He is fully aware that going with a friend would make it more comfortable for him.

I envy your daughter for having that ability. I spent the only time I went to camp hiding and getting out of everything I could. I was careful to not put myself in such a humiliating and stressful experience again! ugh.

This is a huge change for her. She used to be the kid digging in the dirt as far away from everyone else if there were more then 8-10 kids around even if she knew all of them. Locally she is still inclined to be that way, but I really think her years in taekwondo has given her a confidence boost and brought her out of her shell.

DD10 is doing her first residential camp, where she'll be doing biology, chemistry, modular arithmetic, and poetry. She'll also do her first cheer camp with her team (local, so day only), and going to at least one, possibly two herpetology conferences. She's also got her current research project which will hopefully go active any day now (it's the right time of year for the animals to come out of brumation), and she'll be doing a lot of education presentations (mostly at summer camp programs :) ) with her herp education group and her snakes.

Oh, and unless things change, we may well be finishing up this year's schoolwork this summer, too. I'm not used to feeling behind.

• Like 1

I have my son signed up for a camp for special needs children. It will be his first time, so I'm nervous about it. He's really excited about it though, especially the zip line and horseback riding.

I hope he has a blast! 

DD10 is doing her first residential camp, where she'll be doing biology, chemistry, modular arithmetic, and poetry. She'll also do her first cheer camp with her team (local, so day only), and going to at least one, possibly two herpetology conferences. She's also got her current research project which will hopefully go active any day now (it's the right time of year for the animals to come out of brumation), and she'll be doing a lot of education presentations (mostly at summer camp programs :) ) with her herp education group and her snakes.

Oh, and unless things change, we may well be finishing up this year's schoolwork this summer, too. I'm not used to feeling behind.

Sounds like a full summer for her.  How cool is it that she gets to teach other kids about her snakes.

I have several that will be working well into the summer as well.

My oldest son (6) goes to day camp at our local Jewish Community Center. He absolutely loved it last summer, and is looking forward to going again. He's doing 4 weeks of sports camp, 4 weeks of theatre camp, 1 week of fencing, and 1 week of surfing. We're also going to Palm Beach for about 10 days in August.

It will be close to 90F here this weekend, so it's really already feeling very summery in San Diego. I can't wait for lazy summer beach days!