Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G5052

Oh, community college teaching...

Yes!! NY has recently expanded the number of charters available, and some will be outside of disadvantaged urban areas. We will have a charter high school a vailable next year (my kid will have graduated) and it will be a STEM magnet with the AP Math and Science offerings that people seek. It will not be free to out of district residents, and transport will still be up to the family. It is an hour away. Frankly, what most people are doing is moving, but renting the house out. It is far cheaper to move in to a district that offers Calc and AP Physics than pay private high school tuition, or stay in a district where there are few businesses and very high school taxes. Home owners are not happy when their tax dollars pay more for security guards than AP Classes.

Sounds like NY doesn't have the virtual charters yet (K12, Connections, etc) but a decent internet connection is cheaper than moving!

[i did a quick zip code check and they are not available. Y'all need more school choices available.]

I actually agree with you about money not being unlimited, but someone who has already attended and graduated a craptastic high school can scarcely be said to have had a chance -- and even outside of that, someone who is at the lowest end of the socioeconomic ladder due to low english/math skills does not really have much chance of finding an employer who will pay or working a second job. The types of jobs available to these people have incredibly variable hours which makes it close to impossible to find a second, similar job. Yes, student loans are available, but the terms on these can be incredibly harsh, with no such thing as bankruptcy dismissal.

Not funding multiple semesters of poor performance -- requiring much longer breaks for suspensions -- will save a lot more money and allow more deserving people to be reached than not paying for dev ed. For someone who comes in, places into dev ed, and plows through, the option should be available.

Thanks for explaining. Even my imaginings weren't as bad as that.

I especially love the use of Common Core to justify the cap on course offerings. Reminds me of the schools that were telling their English teachers that only 30% or an English class could be fiction or poetry because there was a line about making 70% or all school readings informational. So they ignored the informational readings in science and social studies that should have been counted and dropped most of the literature readings. Ugh.