Menu

Broadchurch on BBC - Ack!! I missed the first one.

PrincessMommy

How did I do that?? I was watching for it.   Why didn't you guys remind me!!?? :toetap05: ;) 

Fortunately, it looks like it comes on again late tonight.  Thank goodness for DVRs!! 

I remember the discussion about it earlier in the year when it came out in the UK.  I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Sorry! I don't have access to tv stations (no cable/dish/antenna), so I watch online. Let me know what you think. I think I've done a good job NOT posting spoilers for season 2. I will say I didn't enjoy season 2 as much as I was obsessed with enjoyed season 1. 

okay...thanks for the heads up..perhaps I'll lower my expectations a bit.  How many episodes have you watched so far?

It's worth watching all 8 episodes.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending.  Or a series 3. 

I've just watched 2 episodes and i'm not sure what to think.  It's different than the first season.  They seem to be doing everything to pull on emotions and being very sensational.  It doesn't seem as realistic-- esp. the trial part. 

That first courtroom scene in the first episode so phenominal...it really brought back those raw emotions from following all these people through such a tragedy..  But overall I'm not enjoying the trial or the things related to it (lawyers, etc).  I don't know if it would be appropriate to go into details since I don't want to give it away. 

I'm enjoying Ellie's arch - I just feel for her so much... the actress is doing a great job and the character is well written -- as well as feeling realistic.  I may stay in it just for that.

It's worth watching through to the end.  It is definitely a different tone, but it's a different chapter in their lives, too.  Without giving everything away -- the ending will leave you with much to ponder and question, but that's a good thing.

• Like 1

I finally took the plunge and watched all of season 1.  Our cable system doesn't have BBC America anymore so I will probably have to watch everything online.  If only I could figure out how to get my sony TV to access it. 

What did you think?   I hope you took breaks between episodes... it's pretty intense.

What did you think?   I hope you took breaks between episodes... it's pretty intense.

Loved it.  I watched the first one on my own as I had the house (and the remote) to myself one night and found it on Netflix.  Then Dh decided to join me after I caught him up.  We watched it over the last week.  Yes, it was intense.  That last episode had me in tears.  I thought it was beautifully done ... the betrayal Alec revealed foreshadowing what Ellie was about to experience.  I was initially intrigued by the beautiful backdrop, but this bleak feeling and storytelling.  It reminded me of Wallander. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK...I finished The second season...not a spoiler per se but I didn't like how much was crammed into the last episode.

I didn't like it as much either.  I thought the courtroom drama portion was the weakest.   I wonder where if they're planning another season because it seemed to offer complete closure for everyone.

SPOILER ALERT:  Don't read if you haven't finished the 2nd season.

So I have questions about British law/court procedures. 

It seemed like every darn week there was a new revelation on the stand!  I found it very annoying and so sloppy on the lawyers' parts, but I'm only familiar with UK law as it has been portrayed on TV :) .  In America lawyers for both sides see all evidence and statements by witnesses prior to going to a jury.  There are really no surprises...Everybody knows what evidence is being provided and there's no... "oh look what I found last night in this pile of papers, that no one else knows about, that proves you were paid off by your sister...."    And, there are no confessions on the stand.  It seemed like the lawyers were constantly caught off guard by what their own witnesses were saying or confessing on the stand.    Does that happen regularly in the UK or just done to make more drama like on US tv?   

I'm glad they resolved the earlier case that haunted Tennent's character.  It was equally a sad outcome..no winners and the deaths were just as sad and senseless as the first one.

I didn't like it as much either. I thought the courtroom drama portion was the weakest. I wonder where if they're planning another season because it seemed to offer complete closure for everyone.

SPOILER ALERT: Don't read if you haven't finished the 2nd season.

So I have questions about British law/court procedures.

It seemed like every darn week there was a new revelation on the stand! I found it very annoying and so sloppy on the lawyers' parts, but I'm only familiar with UK law as it has been portrayed on TV :) . In America lawyers for both sides see all evidence and statements by witnesses prior to going to a jury. There are really no surprises...Everybody knows what evidence is being provided and there's no... "oh look what I found last night in this pile of papers, that no one else knows about, that proves you were paid off by your sister...." And, there are no confessions on the stand. It seemed like the lawyers were constantly caught off guard by what their own witnesses were saying or confessing on the stand. Does that happen regularly in the UK or just done to make more drama like on US tv?

I'm glad they resolved the earlier case that haunted Tennent's character. It was equally a sad outcome..no winners and the deaths were just as sad and senseless as the first one.

I was disappointed as well. Especially the last two episodes. It wasn't as tight of a plot line as the first one was. I mean, there was no way they were going to convict Joe without that confession. I couldn't have, and knowing that should have been more gut wrenching than it was.

I was a bit irritated that the prosecution didn't refute the assertion that Mark killed Danny so Beth wouldn't find out about the affair, when Mark testified that he was planning to tell her anyway. That theory made no sense at all.

I wanted to push Hardy over the ledge in front of his house into the water a few times with my foot. I'm glad his surgery helped both his heart and incessant whining problems.

I knew Ricky had to be involved in the Sandbrook case but... I still don't buy that outcome. Too contrived, way too contrived. American-crime-shows-on-TV-six-years-too-long level of contrived.

I still think Ellie steals the show.

• Like 1

I was disappointed as well. Especially the last two episodes. It wasn't as tight of a plot line as the first one was. I mean, there was no way they were going to convict Joe without that confession. I couldn't have, and knowing that should have been more gut wrenching than it was.

I was a bit irritated that the prosecution didn't refute the assertion that Mark killed Danny so Beth wouldn't find out about the affair, when Mark testified that he was planning to tell her anyway. That theory made no sense at all.

I wanted to push Hardy over the ledge in front of his house into the water a few times with my foot. I'm glad his surgery helped both his heart and incessant whining problems.

I knew Ricky had to be involved in the Sandbrook case but... I still don't buy that outcome. Too contrived, way too contrived. American-crime-shows-on-TV-six-years-too-long level of contrived.

I still think Ellie steals the show.

I agree with everything.... esp. Ellie.   She was well written and the actress's performance was outstanding.