Menu

How much to charge + suggestions for private math tutoring?

Friends of ours have asked me to tutor their 6th grade son, who is in public school, in math.

Without going into too much detail, I will do some diagnostic work first to see, overall and specifically,

how he's doing.  He tends toward the ADD range, so focus will be an issue, as it is in class, I'm told,

so our hour will be divided between foundation work and homework.  I will meet with him twice a week.

They're asking me about my fee, and since I haven't tutored in years, I'm wondering what the going

rate is.  A friend of mine charges $50/hour and another friend thinks the current rate is around $30/hour.

For those of you in the know, what is the going rate?

I would also welcome any tutoring suggestions, as well, such as websites or simple materials you have

used.

Thank you!

$50/hr for 6th grade math?! In my area those are upper-level college math tutoring rates.

I tutor one-on-one, 6th grade math for $15 - $25 an hour, depending on the student. I charge more if meeting regularly and if I'm doing re-teaching, giving assignments and/or pre-grading things than if I'm simply a coach keeping an eye on things, checking in with the kid and making sure things are gelling nicely.

Here I see two tutors that charge 30 an hour for one on one tutoring in math, it seems like they charge the same price for elementary-high school math.  I have not seen them tutoring college age kids.  I only know this because sometimes I sit at the next table and listen to them in the library.  We spend hours at the library waiting for a sibling to get out of class.  We are in a major city that I would call HCOL, with awful public schools.  I think most of the kids being tutored that I see go to private schools or charters (often they are in their uniforms still).

$50/hr for 6th grade math?! In my area those are upper-level college math tutoring rates.

I tutor one-on-one, 6th grade math for $15 - $25 an hour, depending on the student. I charge more if meeting regularly and if I'm doing re-teaching, giving assignments and/or pre-grading things than if I'm simply a coach keeping an eye on things, checking in with the kid and making sure things are gelling nicely.

Gil,

Thanks for you response.

Do you ever do a diagnostic-type test to see where a student begins to need help?  What do you consider "reteaching?"  Would that be teaching again what he/she learned in school, from their textbook?  Are the assignments you're giving from add'l materials that supplement their school work, or is this foundation building?

Thank you again!

• Like 1

I agree with ElizabethB that tutoring rates vary hugely depending upon the area in which you live.  We live in a fairly low income city; my husband (with a PhD in Chemistry) charges $18.00 per hour for tutoring in math (all levels up through College Algebra and Trigonometry), the Physical Sciences, and SAT/ACT prep.

Regards,

Kareni

For resources, I'd look at the RightStart Math Card Games - they allow a lot of practice of math facts and skills in a more enjoyable format than worksheets etc.

I like their Tutoring program too  (Activities for the AlAbacus) - but I'm really not sure how well it would work with a student in a regular math program as it uses the RightStart method of doing things which is almost assuredly different from what they are doing in school.

The going rate here is $30/hr for a homework helper, and $50/hr for someone who remediates (makes a plan, provides resources where required, and assigns additional homework).

I have just remediated one of  my students from 6th grade math level to being able to pass 10th grade exams, and this was completed in 8 months!  The kid was willing to do an additional 2 hours of homework from me each week.  We worked on multiple streams at once -- 6th grade decimals/fractions, 8th grade basic algebra, 9th grade trig, test taking skills, etc. He had more than one book that he was doing homework in at any one time.  In those 8 months, he has had 4 different level workbooks that I ordered but the parents paid for.

The kids come to me.  I live in a mid-sized city.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

Keep in mind that I live in a college town that is full of possible tutors and tutors price their services to compete with others as well as the fact that there are several free homework/tutoring programs in our community run by volunteers. I could totally be off base about pricing. I don't know if we have a high cost of living, only that I'm broke so I price to compete. Perhaps I should consider raising my prices.

Gil,

Thanks for you response.

Do you ever do a diagnostic-type test to see where a student begins to need help?  What do you consider "reteaching?"  Would that be teaching again what he/she learned in school, from their textbook?  Are the assignments you're giving from add'l materials that supplement their school work, or is this foundation building?

Thank you again!

Sorry, I just saw this question.

I offer to do a diagnostic session for a flat fee of $40, not all families take me up on the offer, some times kids know exactly what they need help with. If after 3/sessions or 2 weeks its painfully obvious that the kid is stretched too thin by their current work OR not at all challenged, then I might inquire about or even insist on doing a diagnostic test.

I consider reteaching to be having to explain, demo and assign/grade practice of  any skill that was 'taught' 2+ grades ago based on the publisher of the school books. (Yeah, I follow the textbooks in my area for grade school kids. The library stocks them so I just peruse the books from time to time and keep in mind where skills are introduced.)

The assignments I give may be either--supplements or foundational.