Menu

My alma mater is closing! *sniff sniff*

PeachyDoodle

What will happen to the current students? It really is shocking. The only other school I know of that closed is Antioch. It won't do the current students any good, of course, but maybe Sweet Briar will follow Antioch and restructure and rise up from the ashes.

• Like 1

That's my hope. Alumnae are already mobilizing.

They are saying they have agreements with several nearby colleges to accept all credits and allow for restructured degree programs if necessary in order to graduate current students on time. They say they are committed to making sure every current student transfers successfully (to whatever schools they choose, not just those few). We will see how that all plays out. Unfortunately, there are also many incoming students for next year who have probably turned down offers from other schools. I can't imagine what they are feeling.

• Like 1

There's a thread started on the college board about this.

The school already has agreements with three schools in Virginia and and engineering school in Michigan. It looks like they are doing everything they can to make sure students can land on their feet.

What schools besides Mary Baldwin? (I must have missed that info.)

Ds asked when it was founded and I went to their website to find out and it's not working right now. Wiki it is. 

Very sad, indeed. 

I am very sorry to hear that. But, just out of curiosity, can I as which engineering school in Michigan is offering to take their students?

Kettering University in Flint, MI.

Their site is working for me now. Look here.

The four colleges/uni working w/ SBC who have every major other than engineering are:

Randolph College

Lyncburg College

Mary Baldwin College (as mentioned above or on the other thread about SBC)

Hollins University

My alma mater closed 6 years after I graduated. It's a very emotional experience, an end of an era. A small Catholic women's college providing excellent education and empowerment to generations of women from all walks of life is a terrible thing to lose.

I'm look looking forward to attending my 20th reunion this summer, which the dedicated alumni association has kept going. I hope for the same for all alma mater orphans.

• Like 2

While my heart goes out to the current students, what does this mean for the alumnae?  If you need to get an official transcript, or proof that you have a degree, how would you go about doing that?

• Like 1

While my heart goes out to the current students, what does this mean for the alumnae? If you need to get an official transcript, or proof that you have a degree, how would you go about doing that?

In my case, a "sister school" (another local Catholic college, originally the men's school, now co-ed) took over the maintenance of records for my college. I have requested my transcript a few times with no issues.

I'm sure all closing school make permanent and secure arrangements for their records.

• Like 2

While my heart goes out to the current students, what does this mean for the alumnae?  If you need to get an official transcript, or proof that you have a degree, how would you go about doing that?

There is a non-profit with significant governmental oversight and funding, The National Student Clearinghouse, that manages these affairs for colleges of all types. I don't see Sweet Briar on there but in terms of cost-effectiveness and service to students I hope they get it together to submit their students' records there so these will be available for decades to come with very little cost to alumni. The NSC processes transcripts from hundreds of schools, from community colleges to Harvard.

My dil's mother changed her facebook profile to a Save Sweet Briar badge. I didn't know what it was about, so I asked. It's sad when a college closes, and while I think the sentiment to save it is nice, I doubt it will happen. Unfortunately it seems like they needed help long before now and didn't get it. :(

I read a lot on here, but have never felt the need to post anything.

I graduated from Sweet Briar in 1999.

My daughter cried when she heard the news. We had been talking the evening before that she will be in the class of 2028, but that if she works hard she could graduate a year early from high school and have my ring.

I haven't been able to make it to reunion, but I am definitely going this year.

PeachyDoodle will I see you there?

Holla! Holla! Holla!