Menu

Fine Art Credit & Sewing

I'm thinking about a fine art credit for 10th grade.  My DS loves playing AirSoft so is always looking at chest rigs and clothing to wear. He camouflages bike helmets and air rifle grips for friends and constantly discusses ideas for developing jackets, vests, and outdoor wear.  We discuss nylon thickness, buckles, and straps for constructing AirSoft apparel.  It is all about construction with him.  I can't say that I am surprised really.  I taught the kid to sew with a handcrank sewing machine when he was pre-K aged.  His 7 yo sister treadles on a Singer 15.

I am stunned right now.  I have been turning over in my mind the idea of exploring sewing with him but did know whether he would be amenable.  DS walked up to me today and told me he wants to pursue design.  He has already located a place to purchase a bolt of nylon material.  He asked me would I consider buying him a male sewing mannequin.  I already own a serger and two nice sewing machines.

Does anyone know of a good online sewing course that covers design and sloper construction?  Would a year of outdoor apparel design be enough for a fine arts credit?  I don't know the first thing about clothing design.  I could probably do it but would prefer a class that was spelled out.  I'd appreciate any and all pointers.

Blessings, 

Heather

quote: Would a year of outdoor apparel design be enough for a fine arts credit?  I don't know the first thing about clothing design.

(sorry but the buttons locked up on quote feature).   Yes, I think you could call it fine arts.  at first I thought "no... fine arts is visual and performing.." but then I found a high school catalog out there that lists Foundations of Fashion and Interior Design as eligible for Fine Arts in their school district.

I don't know what to use to get it done.  but thought that might encourage you that it's ok. Foundations of Fashion  Design - outdoor apparel.

thought I'd link b/c I'm sure others will disagree.

http://www.hcpss.org/f/academics/hscatalog1112.pdf

one place does have something that I would not have counted in fine arts.

Sewing would make a great Elective credit, but it is not a Fine Arts credit.

Fine Arts are specifically about either appreciation of, or performance or creation of, studio / visual / digital arts work:

- Performing Arts: Music, Drama, Dance (actual performing/doing)

- Studio Arts (hands-on 3-D types of media: jewelry-making, pottery, sculpting, woodworking, glassblowing or fusing or stained glass, etc.)

- Visual Arts (creating art such as drawing, watercolors, painting, print-making, etc.)

- Design Principles (course on color, line, form, structure, etc. that applies to any of the visual arts)

- Composing (creating/writing music and/or lyrics)

- Choreography (composing of dance for performance)

- Filmmaking

- Photography (print or digital; if print photography, a course focusing on darkroom techniques; etc.)

- Digital Arts (graphic design, web design, Photoshop, computer animation, etc.)

- Appreciation course (Art / Architecture / Music / Drama / Film / Photography -- learning history, artists, movements, and deeper understanding of specific works in a particular medium)

If the sewing was used as part of the creation of a textile artwork or sculpture, or if the sewing was specific costume design for theater, then it could be combined with other types of work and count towards Fine Arts. However, it sounds like the plan is to make specific types of clothing and accessories, which would fall under a "Consumer Science" (Home Ec) Elective credit.

Some of what your DS is doing sounds like product development! Perhaps he could connect with a local business and see if they can team up to get some of these product ideas actually made and on the market! :)

re: sewing resources

For several years, our local homeschool co-op had sewing for middle/high school students, and several boys really enjoyed making projects of their own choice. That would be my first suggestion -- look for local options, maybe JoAnn's, or someone who sews or who teaches sewing and hire them for 1-on-1 sewing on projects of your DS's interest.

If you can't find someone local:

Home Ec Online: Sewing

Blog, She Wrote: Teaching Sewing in Your Homeschool Whether or Not You Sew

The End In Mind: Teaching Sewing in Your Homeschool (links to resources this family used)

Sewing curriculum -- drafting a pattern (past threads with ideas for resources about designing items)

BEST of luck in developing your own Sewing Elective credit -- or maybe going into business -- or just developing a personal interest as a hobby or extracurricular activity! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=*mannequinmaven&item=280633127816&_osacat=0&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmale.TRS0&_nkw=male&_sacat=0

If he wants a mannequin, get him one here http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=*mannequinmaven&item=280633127816&_osacat=0&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmale.TRS0&_nkw=male&_sacat=0 That's the company I ordered my dd's mannequin from (they're also on amazon, great reviews) and it's FABULOUS.  

Craftsy.com has the sloper and design classes you want. They go on sale frequently, so watch for deals.  We bought ours with the 50% off sale around Christmas.

If I could make the suggestion, I would pursue the project, do it to his full vision, then answer the question of how to put it on the transcript later.  Me personally?  I'd make another light contingency plan for some fine arts just so his projects has flexibility to go a variety of directions.  You know, like sign up for the outdoor plays this summer and learn to write reviews and compare your reviews to the reviews in the newspaper.  Or get a season of student tickets to the symphony and learn about the works they'll be playing.  

I don't think everything our kids do should become a class.  I've talked about my dd's work, and I think we could go either way.  To me her work definitely is appropriate for fine art credit and I don't want to say your ds' isn't.  I'm just saying it's also possible to see a trend, over the years, with what our kids did and realize we'd actually rather have that be their extra-currics (the business I started, the skill I developed) and let something else be for credits.  And that's not necessarily about right/wrong so much as tallying it all up at the end.  So me, I'm being a little conservative and saying we could but I'm also happy for her to do some other things, kwim?  And I DON'T think those have to be your Dick Blick art projects.  I took a class on writing media reviews in high school for fine arts credit, so it can be done.  

And this is also just my two cents, but having a plan for something you know will get done also makes sure it gets done.   ;)  Not every project our kids dream up actually happens or turns out the way they hoped.  If you pin your plans on a theoretical project and it doesn't get done, you have nothing to show.  If you plan a 1/2 credit of other fine arts then you can just see how his project turns out to see if it has an element that would really be conducive to awarding a 1/2 credit for fine arts.  That's still 60 hours, mercy.  

PS.  I have no doubt he's liking sewing.  Even ds has been raiding my felt bin to make things, just like dd did when she was little.  I think it's the VSL in them.  :D

A local high school here offers four years of Textiles & Clothing, and Fashion Design and Construction classes.  They come under Fine Arts, which also includes Art, Graphic Design, and all things Music.  

Rhode Island School of Design offers a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Apparel Design.  Pratt offers a BFA in Fashion Design.  Parsons offers a BFA in Fashion.  These are well-respected schools of art and design.

If you're just doing "sew a simple pair of cotton shorts from this Simplicity pattern", then it's probably more of a Home Ec course.  But if your ds is designing what he wants to sew, sketching his design, thinking through the materials and techniques that would make the item well-suited for its purpose, sourcing technical fabrics and notions, and so on, then I think it very much falls into the "Design" category, which is firmly in the Fine Arts realm (even if he uses a commercial pattern as a shortcut or springboard for the construction aspect).  

I second the suggestion of PatternReview.com.  Also check out The Green Pepper for technical fabrics, patterns, and notions, The Rain Shed (ditto), and Jalie patterns.  There are a couple of good books out there on sewing outerwear and gear; perhaps your library can get a few for you.  I would also try to include some drafting and pattern-making, some "fashion" sketching, some research on the properties of various technical fabrics (and perhaps some science experiments using them - I've seen some good projects on insulation properties and also on swimwear holding up over time in chlorinated pool water), and some info on the strength and durability of various kinds of straps (the braid, the fiber, etc.).  

This is a fascinating field with all kinds of applications, both commercial and military.  He's lucky to have the opportunity to pursue this passion.

Sewing would make a great Elective credit, but it is not a Fine Arts credit.

I agree with this, although I don't know if you could make it a design class rather than a sewing class to make it a fine arts credit. A pp listed "Foundations of Fashion and Interior Design" as a fine arts credit, which makes sense because the focus is on design and fashion as an art, not sewing as a skill. So, if you can shift the focus to design, how to design, studying the designs of others, you might get a fine arts credit. Time spent on sewing, in my mind you'd call an elective. You might be able to do .5 credit of each that in real life, merges into one thing, but you separate into two on his transcript.

Here, the schools require a practical arts credit for graduation along with a fine arts credit. Sewing comes under practical arts. I've only seen one college that ever listed a practical arts credit as an entrance requirement (it was one state U in my state), so I would just list it as an elective without naming the elective as practical arts.

Craftsy.com has the sloper and design classes you want. They go on sale frequently, so watch for deals.  We bought ours with the 50% off sale around Christmas.

If I could make the suggestion, I would pursue the project, do it to his full vision, then answer the question of how to put it on the transcript later. 

Another plug for Craftsy.com - I have purchased several of their classes and they are very well done. They are professionally produced, have excellent teachers and are well organized. There is also the opportunity to interact with the instructors by posting questions, which will always be answered! 

I also agree with allowing him to pursue his interest and worry about the transcript later. There are a lot of things that are more important than transcripts and allowing for creativity and problem solving is a wonderful thing. 

The high school where I teach offers 2 semester long classes called "Project Runway 1" and "Project Runway 2".  I agree that you'd have to emphasize the "design" piece rather than the "sewing" piece, but if he's sketching his own designs, painting fabrics in camo, etc . .  I don't see why this wouldn't be considered a design class, and thus a fine arts credit.

I do not think it is fine arts unless he's focused on the aesthetic part of the design rather than functionality.

That said, there are plenty of people who get their fine arts credits and focus on the craft. So I say call it apparel design and just have him do some thinking about the aesthetics and function and go for it.

OP - it doesn't have to be  "either/or", it can be "both/and."  it's entirely possible that by the time he finishes you will be able to award him an elective home ec. credit for learning to sew and a fine arts credit for learning about and carrying out his design ideas.  Other things that he might do significant research in by way of attaining his goals could be art history and the history of costume design. 

I recommend that you log the hours he spends working on  his projects and what he is doing, divide them into categories (sewing, design, history research, etc.) and then total them up when he is finished to see what kind of credit you can award him based on time spent. 

You can do a search for "fashion design" on  Amazon and come up with a lot of resources. There are also a host of resources when you search for "costume design." Textbook companies also publish books in these subject areas. For those, I suggest you go to abebooks.com and type in the same search prompts. 

At some point he may enjoy working with community theater as an extra curricular activity. 

It's getting late and I need to turn in. Tomorrow I will post some course descriptions from our county school system high school planner. You can use those to glean ideas for ways that he can earn credit.

As to the transcript - while it makes sense to plan ahead, remember that you can spin this in a number of ways depending on your son's path, who will be reading the transcript, and what you hope to gain from it.  This area of interest has elements of practical skills, design/art, and engineering (strength of materials, etc.).  Should this interest go on to be related to a future college major, you can emphasize whichever area relates best to the subject.  If he ends up applying to art/design/fashion school, his projects will be part of a portfolio.  If he ends up applying to engineering school (for, say, materials engineering), then the technical side of things can be emphasized.  

On college apps, a good approach is to make a list of things you want the college to know about the student, as well as things the student has done towards any requirements the college has (or things they'd prefer to see), and then fit those things into the various instruments that are part of the application - the transcript, the essay, extracurricular info, awards/honors, a resume, recommendations, etc.  Things that can fit into more than one category can be used to fill out an area that would otherwise be a bit weak; things that are harder to put into a brief "short answer" category can be expanded upon in the essay, etc.  

So I would let him explore this interest widely and deeply, because it has elements of so many subjects, and see where it takes him.  Once you are closer to graduation, you will be able to see more clearly how it fits with other things he has done.  You can also at that point see if there are specific projects or areas of study that would complement what he has done already and fill in any gaps to create the story/image/transcript/application that will best help him to achieve his goals.  

As promised yesterday, Here are some course descriptions from our county high school planning booklet that you can use to get ideas for the different ways he can earn credit. You could easily mix & match these to come up with a unique course. 

These are under the subject category "visual arts"

Visual Arts I - Beginning 1 Credit

This course introduces the elements and principles of design through an exploration of a broad range of media. Activities emphasize skills and techniques in the following areas: drawing, painting, graphics, fibers, ceramics, art history and three-dimensional design (fibers, ceramics, etc.).

Visual Arts II - Intermediate 1 Credit Recommended prerequisite(s): Visual Arts I - Beginning or portfolio

This course offers and in-depth study of design through repeated use of art elements and principles, while expanding technical abilities. Design is taught through experiences in the following areas: drawing and painting, art history, printmaking (silk screening, lino cuts and/or woodcuts) and three dimensional design (wood, clay, fibers). 

Visual Arts III - Proficient (Honors) 1 Credit (HN) Recommended prerequisite(s): Visual Arts II - Intermediate or portfolio

This level of advanced art involves more in-depth knowledge of processes, media, history and the development of art. Students understand and apply all skills through a variety of media. 

Drawing – Visual Art Specialization (Intermediate) 1 Credit Recommended prerequisite(s): Visual Arts I – Beginning or portfolio

This course introduces the elements and principles of design through an exploration of various drawing media techniques.

Commercial Art: Printmaking/Textiles – Visual Art Specialization  1 Credit Recommended prerequisite(s): Visual Arts I – Beginning or portfolio

This course is designed for the student who has completed at least one credit of high school art and has a special interest in printmaking and textiles. Some of the following processes are taught in printmaking: block printing, silk screen, intaglio, relief painting, and etching. In textiles students expand their knowledge and technical skills in two- and three-dimensional design. Areas explored include macramé, batik, soft sculpture and weaving.

These are under the subject category "Theatre Arts" 

Technical Theatre I – Theatre Arts Specialization (Beginning) 1 Credit

Students explore the various aspects of design and production for theatre. Areas of study may include scenery, lighting, sound, makeup, properties, costumes and stage management.

Technical Theatre II – Theatre Arts Specialization (Intermediate) 1 Credit Recommended prerequisite(s): Technical Theatre I

Students develop technical skills through design and production. Technical support for school productions requires participation in after-school rehearsals and performances.

Technical Theatre III – Theatre Arts Specialization (Proficient) 1 Credit (HN) Recommended prerequisite(s): Technical Theatre II

Students who have demonstrated a high skill level in technical theatre can continue to study various areas of technical theatre by focusing on more advanced design and production skills. Students are expected to participate in after-school rehearsals and performances as well as provide technical support for school-based events.

These courses are under the subject heading "Family and Consumer Sciences"

Apparel and Textile Products 1 Credit Prerequisite: None

In this course students are introduced to clothing production in the areas of preparation for clothing construction, basic clothing construction techniques, consumer decisions, textiles, historical perspective and design and career opportunities. Emphasis is placed on students applying these construction and design skills to apparel and home fashion.  Art, mathematics and scince are reinforced. Work-based learning strategies appropriate for this course include service learning and job shadowing. Apprenticeship and Cooperative education are ot available for this course. Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competitive events, community service and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills thorough authentic experiences.

Apparel and Textile Products II - Enterprise 1 Credit Prerequisite: Apparel and Textile Products I

In this course students are introduced to advanced clothing and housing apparel development skills. The use of fibers and fabrics is combined with design and construction techniques to develop and produce clothing or housing apparel products. A real or simulated apparel business enterprise and FCCLA activities allow students to apply instructional strategies and workplace readiness skills to an authentic experience and to develop a portfolio. Mathematics and science are reinforced. Work based learning strategies appropriate for this course include cooperative education, entrepreneurship, internship, mentorship, school-based enterprise, service learning and job shadowing. Apprenticeship is not available for this course. Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competitive events, community service and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills through authentic experiences.

Apparel and Textile Products II (Honors) 1 Credit (HN) Prerequisite: Apparel I

In addition to the standard course requirements of Apparel II – Enterprise, this honors level course extends the standard course of study to a more challenging level for the student who is highly motivated, able to work independently and has a history of high academic achievement. Students will be expected to take and pass the appropriate industry certification exam associated with this course, if available.

Apparel III – Design (Honors) 1 Credit (HN) Prerequisite: Apparel II – Enterprise

This fashion design course will be the culminating course that will prepare students with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully complete a pre-professional, industry-recognized certification in the fashion, textile and apparel industries. In addition to the certification, this course will provide students the opportunity to transition into post-secondary education and careers with the skil set needed to compete in the ever changing global market place. This third-level course will e a foundational course in Family and Consumer Sciences Education and complements the career cluster enhancement courses in the Arts, Audio/Video Technology and Communications Career Cluster.

Fashion Merchandising 1 Credit Prerequisite: None

In this course students are introduced to the fashion and merchandising industries. Students acquire transferable knowledge and skills among the concepts of the business of fashion, fashion promotion events, the evolution and movement of fashion, the fashion industry, career development, merchandising of fashion and the selling of fashion. Mathematics and science are reinforced. Appropriate work-based learning strategies include cooperative education, entrepreneurship, internship, mentorship, school-based enterprise, service learning and job shadowing. Apprenticeship is not available for this course. DECA (an association for marketing students) and Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competitive events, community service and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills through authentic experiences.

Family and Consumer Sciences Advanced Studies 1 Credit Prerequisite(s): Two technical credits in Family and Career Sciences, one of which is a completer course, in one Career Cluster.

This culminating course is for juniors and seniors who have met the prerequisites. The Advanced Studies course must augment the content of the completer course and prepare students for success in transition to postsecondary education and future careers. Students work under the guidance of a teacher with expertise in the content of the completer course in collaboration with community members, business representatives and other school-based personnel. The four parts of the course include writing a research paper, producing a product, developing a portfolio and developing a presentation. Students demonstrate their abilities to use 21st century skills. Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competitive events, community service and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills through authentic experiences. 

Free instructions for drawing male and female croquis.

I was just provided some info pertaining to a local 10th grader that may want to perform ballistics testing on differing fabrics for a science fair project.  I also spoke with the wife of an engineer friend that has volunteered to mentor DS should he take the science fair route.  I am majorly bummed out right now that we are too busy at present to pursue this idea fully...

Hmm, that's interesting.  So you're saying he could take it a science fair route?  He should!  Is there anything you can clear off to make room for this if there's a timeline to doing it?  If he's interested, you definitely want to let him do it, even if it means pausing something else.

I think that it is possible to package this as a fine arts if the artistic and historical nature of the pursuit drives it such as the history of textiles along with the history of fashion design, and then the artistic and creative elements inherent to the design process.

But, something to consider is that there are a number of nice, basic, high school level and not too taxing options for art history and art or music appreciation out there. Possibly, if college is on the horizon, given that transcripts leave little room to highlight very much accomplishment in each course, you might be better off packaging this off in extra curricular activities, and using it as a jumping off point for college admission's essays. It's not too hard to fit in a basic fine arts none performing class for high school credit in order to satisfy a college admission requirement, and then he would be more free to take this wherever his passions lead without having to worry about fitting a specific "hoop" academically.

Just one thought. You've received some great advice on this thread.

Hmm, that's interesting.  So you're saying he could take it a science fair route?  He should!  Is there anything you can clear off to make room for this if there's a timeline to doing it?  If he's interested, you definitely want to let him do it, even if it means pausing something else.

No, we are nearly 75% of the way through the school year and swamped with essays and logic projects.  If DS did pursue some sort of ballistics/science fair project, I expect he would work with a partner. My friend suggested DS spend a year of science specializing in materials.   I'm not clear precisely how that would work out and would have to discuss that further with her.