Menu

Clothes for Washington D.C. in March

emzhengjiu

My 17 yo daughter is going to D.C. in March.  Since we live in Texas, I have no idea of what kind of clothes she should take.  I'm assuming a heavy coat just in case, along with something lighter.  She has to have some business casual clothes for a conference, but she wants to pack as lightly as possible.  Her activities will include attending a conference and some sightseeing including touring the White House.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ETA:  spelling

Layering makes sense, but I'm a fashion washout!  My 14yo can go into any store including thrift stores and fine amazing clothes.  My older daughter and I, not so much.  She's the way I am; comfort over fashion.  Unfortunately, she and my younger daughter have very different tastes.

This trip came up unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago.  It's an amazing opportunity for her.  We have to scramble to find her affordable business casual clothes.  Most of her clothes consist of jeans and T shirts.

We're thinking 2 pairs of nice dress pants, probably in black.  3 or 4 nice shirts in some color that she likes.  But after that, I'm lost.  What can we buy that can be layered maintaining a pulled together business casual look but isn't too expensive.  Also, she has jackets suitable to our changeable Texas weather, but her heavier coat isn't dressy.  Should we buy her a dress coat?  I'm thinking that the look of her coat won't matter very much.  I'm concerned that we'll have trouble finding appropriate clothes because some of the stores have swim suits on display!

Unless she is going to spend a lot of time outside, I don't see the need for a big coat. I never wear mine, even when it is extremely cold here, because I hate how bulky they are and I am always just going from house to car to store or whatever. I think cardigans are cute and smart looking, but then, I am nearly 50 and not overly fashionable, lol. 

We used to live there, and as I recall, almost anything can happen in early March, but with layering, she should be fine.  As far as coats.  I wouldn't get a new, dressier coat, and probably wouldn't even bring a real heavy coat.  However, if you think she would wear this again, something like this is usually perfect for cool spring weather:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-primaloft-packable-jacket/id_264589

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-quilted-primaloft-parka/id_279230

(There are other styles too.)  They are so lightweight and can pack so small, you can practically stuff it in your purse.

I'm from an area a bit outside of DC, but we experience the same weather.  March weather can be very, very cold and/or snowy.  We've gotten some big snowstorms as late as the end of the month.  But it can sometimes be in the 70's (F).  The best thing to do is to double check the 10-day forecast right before she leaves, and plan on bringing flexible pieces.

DC people (not tourists) tend to dress in stylish, conservative, business-type clothing.  Black dress pants and dress shirts will work well.  She will need black dress closed toe shoes that are comfortable for walking, especially for sightseeing.  I've seen a lot of girls and women wearing the longer, softer somewhat dressy cardigans with those types of separates.  They also wear scarves or "big" necklaces that pull together their outfits - a scarf would add extra warmth.  A camisole under her shirt will help with warmth, too, as will trouser socks.  I would bring a coat if I were her, but I wouldn't go to the expense of buying a new one.  If you have money to spend on a jacket, a shorter trench coat type of jacket would layer well and be dressy enough without being too fancy.  I'd also have her bring a hat and gloves.

Remember that DC will be much cooler and damper than TX that time of the year, and your daughter will not be used to what often feels like bone-chilling cold even to those who live here. 

Agreed that it can be cold and damp here then and even snowy... Or totally not. We always have at least a few 60-70 degree days as well. March is super unpredictable. I'd look at the long term forecast before coming, because that will let you know if you need a heavy coat or can just get away with a lighter jacket. I agree that the heavy coat may not be necessary - I've only worn mine a little this year and I expect I'll be in a jacket/light coat for March unless there's snow. But layers, definitely layers.

I hope she has fun!

I agree that it's all about the layers here in March.  But I wanted to add that if she's touring the White House, she'll be standing outside in line for a fair amount of time.  The same may be true for other touristy things, like the monuments, or Mount Vernon if she goes there.  There will probably be a fair amount of walking back and forth across the Mall between destinations.  

If she's from Texas, and not accustomed to cold, I'd keep that in mind when considering what kind of coat to bring.

I agree that it's all about the layers here in March.  But I wanted to add that if she's touring the White House, she'll be standing outside in line for a fair amount of time.  The same may be true for other touristy things, like the monuments, or Mount Vernon if she goes there.  There will probably be a fair amount of walking back and forth across the Mall between destinations.  

If she's from Texas, and not accustomed to cold, I'd keep that in mind when considering what kind of coat to bring.

The forecast for tonight in DC is "Snow showers before 9pm, then a slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -8. Windy, with a northwest wind 23 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible."  March is in two weeks! 

How much time will she spend outside?  How will she be travelling between venues?  If she's mostly inside, it's less of an issue, but if she will be doing tourist things, walking, or standing in line somewhere, good winter clothes may be needed if this cold snap holds.  (Later in March, of course, it could be quite warm.)

I would think "travel clothes"; there are lots of websites about "one bag travel" that may be helpful.  I second layers, in particular a cami or long-sleeved shirt worn close to the skin.  A wool sweater is remarkably warm, takes up little space, and can be removed if a nice blouse is worn underneath.  If the weather is nicer, the sweater could make do instead of a coat.  I'd probably consider something of the long-underwear variety on her legs as well, at least for outside events.  Thermal layers can be rinsed in the hotel sink and hung to dry; they are usually of the quick-dry, moisture-wicking variety, so no need to buy multiple sets.  

DC is a walking town; be sure she can walk all day in the shoes she brings.

The forecast for tonight in DC is "Snow showers before 9pm, then a slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -8. Windy, with a northwest wind 23 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible."  March is in two weeks! 

But you have to put that in perspective. Last weekend, it was sunny and 60 one day. The kids and I went for a hike in Rock Creek. It was crowded with people. I had to take off my light sweater and shove it in my bag. (ETA: I looked it up - last Sunday, high 68.)

It's unpredictable.

But you have to put that in perspective. Last weekend, it was sunny and 60 one day. The kids and I went for a hike in Rock Creek. It was crowded with people. I had to take off my light sweater and shove it in my bag. (ETA: I looked it up - last Sunday, high 68.)

It's unpredictable.

Absolutely agreed!  Perhaps the OP can borrow some winter gear, so as to be prepared in advance to avoid a last-minute scramble, without shelling out for things that may end up not being needed at all.  

(I've twice traveled abroad and encountered way-colder-than-normal-there temps, so I tend to err on the side of having the extra layer if needed.)

Another thought . . . consider wind-blocking ability. DC can feel like a frozen wind tunnel sometimes. It's especially bad on the mall when you're not near a building. It can be a decent, humane temperature and then the wind blows and it feels 20 degrees colder. We once did a White House tour in March and it was so cold we wore our heaviest winter coats and I wore long johns. It was freakishly early. Later in the day, in a museum, the long johns were overkill, but since I didn't bring a bag because we couldn't take it on the White House tour, I just left them on.

I live close enough and get to Northern VA about twice a month.  If it were my daughter--and it kind of is, since my dd is in school there!--she needs to be prepared with a heavy coat.  Can she borrow one?  Unless she's staying a hotel right next to where she'll be spending her time, she'll be outdoors as she uses public transportation and walks from one location to another. 

Everyone who says the weather is random is so spot on.  It's better for her to have a heavier coat and not need it than not have one at all.  She can easily mix and match her other clothing, tops and slacks, to get the most out of them.  (I'm considering how my own kids have done that with TeenPact.)

is she going to a pack AIP AC for Israel my daughter is attending as well and I'm wondering what the weather will be like that would be awesome if they were attending the same conference

She's attending the National League of Cities as a youth delegate.  Is AIPAC the pro-Israel lobby? The conference sounds fascinating.  The NLC conference is March 7 - 11.   I hope your daughter has a wonderful experience.

Thank you all so much for the advice.  I'm feeling better about looking for the right clothes for her.  We will be watching the weather forecast closely too!  D.C. weather sounds as crazy as Texas weather, except it gets colder.  Today we're in the 60s; by Monday the temperature will be in the 40s.  Borrowing some winter gear is a great idea.  I don't want to buy things that she won't be using much if at all again.  We're going shopping tonight.  Hopefully she'll find some great buys on sale!

Oh if she doesn't have a winter coat I would do a tshirt, fleece pullover then jacket. It would be more than adequate. Heck, I do that now and I'm toasty warm.

Yes.  I've been doing this for years in lots of places including when we lived in DC.  I can use both the fleece thing and my rain jacket if it's cold and wet/snowy, but I can wear just one or the other depending on the weather.  It's a really flexible combination that's useful just about anywhere.  I don't use them together here in Mexico, but I've used the two pieces separately often.

Later in the day, in a museum, the long johns were overkill, but since I didn't bring a bag because we couldn't take it on the White House tour, I just left them on.

My mom's trick is to bring a plastic grocery bag tucked into a coat pocket, then if she needs to remove the coat she can put it in the grocery bag and carry it.  Not sure if that would have passed White House standards, but it worked great for me in the Louvre!

oh my goodness that is so exciting. Virginia is attending the pro Israel conference and will be actively lobbying after attending. It will be her first flight and her first time away from home for more than 2 days. I am delighted for her as she has been preparing for this moment from very early on in her life. Isn't it wonderful to see a little birds fly out of the nest and soar? I'll let you all in on a little secret I still cry when I go into the local Catholic homeschooling bookstore and see all the materials that I've bought and used and all those memories come flooding back. That's what Susan never tells us is that your heart will break in a million little pieces when your days of homeschooling have come to an end. But one can always pray for grandchildren and I'm doing so.