Menu

Kindergarten Plans

Slache

My DD will be 6 in October, so she'll be an older K'er.  

My plans:

McGuffey primer (we have the newer ones) and Noah Webster's Handbook

ELTL 0 --We'll be reading through the 3-day K4 Pathways program.  I went with the K4 because I liked the book choices.  

Wee Folk Art--We'll be using the books, activities, poetry, picture study, and journal/notebook pages.  

MUS Alpha and/or Liberty Math K (I picked up Liberty Math K last year, but ended up using Saxon K instead)

piano lessons

We also do lots of Charlotte Mason studies as a family.  We'll be using SCM's Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation program as well as their new Burgess Bird Study.  

I started this about a month ago with my son who is in K now.  He'll be 6 in May, but because of a lot of early delays I am not worried about "grade level."  I just got the The Berenstain Bears’ Big Book of Science and Nature from interlibrary loan.  There are also quite a few books we've already read a million times so I've let him listen to the audio version or a youtube version.  I am currently ready to have a baby anytime within the next week.  Also there are a few books that we will wait until we officially start Year 1 like Burgess's Animal and Bird books.  Overall this is a great list and some stories I would not have found and read to him without first seeing them in Kathy's reading plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very young K'er (a little over 4) but I couldn't stop her if I tried! She's bright but more than that, she loves to work, has enormous persistence and doesn't lose confidence if she doesn't get everything "right" the first few times. Those are qualities that are taking her far! So, I have been doing Kindergarten with her for about 4 months and will continue on while moving forward into 1st grade work as needed. Things we are using (not everyday or all at once!):

Reading/Phonics

Sing, Spell, Read and Write K-1 and 1-1

Reading first level Bob Books and other beginning readers

AAR Level 1

Various workbooks that focus on letter/sound association and other phonics topics (she LOVES workbooks)

Games and activities from Take it to Your Seat Phonics Centers for Grades PK-K and K-1

Word Sorting Activities

Reading Eggs reading program

Math

Singapore Math in Focus 1A

Right Start Math K

Various Math Workbooks

Math Seeds math program

Handwriting

Mostly drawing, tracing, cutting, and pasting to build up hand muscles. Will start Zaner Bloser K Handwriting in the fall most likely.

Science, History and Bible

Tagging along with older sister (who currently is finishing 1st grade)

Also ballet and swimming

My baby is a Kindergartener this fall; when did that happen? This is what we have lined up for this year.

Phonics Pathways

Rod and Staff Math 1

Rod and Staff Kindergarten workbooks (she loves "doing" school with these).

Science and History with the older two, she'll be playing outside, jumping on the trampoline, and hearing great books as well. :) I try to keep it fairly simple in Kindergarten.

My rising K'er was adopted at age 3 from China with no language and only being fed bottles 3 times per day.  She was like a 9 month old.  She has come so far but still has language delays and is developmentally behind in some areas. 

• My Father's World K program - we will go slowly taking more than a year to cover this if necessary!
  • Classical Conversations - 1 day per week on campus in 4 year old class and practice at home with brother other days.
  • The Homegrown Preschooler inspired hands-on activities.  I did not purchase their year long curriculum, though it looks lovely!  I wanted to coordinate our activities with what she would be learning in the MFW K and at CC.  Yes, some work for me but I hope it will be worth it!
  • Speech pathologist 1 x per week.
  • Listen in as interested in MOH volume 1 lessons and activities with brother.
  • puzzles, playing and mischief-making along with baby brother who will arrive soon!

DD#4 will officially be in K in the fall! :O! She turns 5 in early December so we are required to register her.

Right now she is using the About Three (one book, just finished it) and About Four books from R&S or CLE, story bible, PBS, Sunday school papers, picture books, coloring...Netflix...and wrestling with her little brother.

When she's finished with those, it's on to the Rod and Staff ABC etc. series and CLE's KII. With more of the other items I previously listed.

She will be our second child using this sequence (moving onto the CLE 100s once finished), and we were so pleased with the simplicity and results with DD#3. It doesn't take much time, and we are much more prepared for 1st than we were with our first two, informal K girls.

• Like 1

So, I posted early in this thread and have changed my mind, lol. the new plan is:

Sonlight P 3/4 with Bookshark K language arts/readers

Some CLE KII workbooks (we already have done some)

CLE Math 100

some kind of religion work....not sure what. 

Usually I know by this time of year what I'm planning to use for the next school year but I have lots of holes this time.  Here is what I have for my fourth K student:

General: What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know

Language Arts: HWT K, OPGTR, AAS 1

Math: ?? maybe Singapore PM 1 or RightStart; also considering Miquon and MEP

some world geography and American history

Science: some hands-on from experiment books at home or from the library

Religion: saint stories, Bible, various other books

This is our first attempt at kindergarten so it is going to be fun!

I am going to piece together a lot of our curriculum from free downloads and pinterest. Also probably a kindergarten workbook or two just for fun.

These are my plans so far

Reading: Lippincott Basic Reading series

Math:counting to 100, skip counting(2's,5's,10's), shapes, cutting, telling time, +0, and +1

our end goal is to start math u see alpha in 1st

other stuff

Pledge, phone number, address, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, weather, calendar, community helpers, ect.

Tag along with older brother

Science: Mr Q Earth Science

History: SOTW 3

Now that Math Lessons for a Living Education are now free books I am going to use that instead :)

My guy will be 5 in September, technically TK. He'll be doing:

Bob books, AAR 1, HWOT pre K, Singapore essentials B, play with c rods, stuff to work on his fine motor skills.

Eta: I will have this stuff available for him, but will only pull it out when he asks for school. Except AAR, which I plan to do 10 minute lessons 3-4x per week.

With the big kids, when he wants: bible, memory work, SOTW 1, LRAFO earth science, lit read aloud (I need to remember to schedule some aimed at him).

He's moving along in his reading faster than I thought, won't wait till the fall. Lol. So..

AAR 2, HWOT K, Miquon & singapore essentials B. Books from Sonlight PreK list.

Not sure how to handle my high-energy kiddo who is flying through math, but not all that interested in the reading and writing part of the 3Rs. The plan is to be flexible!

Current plan:

Phonics/Writing: LOE Foundations B (w/cursive)

Literature: ELTL0 (Path 1)

Math: MM2/Dreambox/Process Skills 

Memory Work: (timeline, skip-counting, selected poetry & scripture)

Science: BFSU (tagging along with older sister as his mood strikes)

General: selections from What Your Kindergartener Needs To Know

Phonics: Outsourcing (T4L, Reading Eggs, Easy Peasy or similar) - I have 3 different accents for words (Aussie, British, and US), so I make big mistakes when trying to teach Phonics, so I outsource it to a speaking program thats not me :p Extra goodies to come from GVS

Math: Unsure on this. Either GVS suggestion, T4L/Mathseeds (although I'd rather not use an online program for her, she's a worksheet gal), Math on the Level etc. I might end up teaching her anything she needs to know before moving her to Math Mammoth 1. I'll need a couple more weeks to iron out Maths. She's doing Mathseeds for the moment.

General Other Stuff: GVS suggestions.

She was doing Science 4 Us, but its a bit over her head since shes a paper and "help mom" type girl.

• 2 weeks later...

FIAR for social studies, Lang, Art / Music, science, applied math, Bible and cooking, handicrafts

Lang & Math - etc books 1-2, Singapore K Essentials, HWOT K, Bob Books, mfw k Lang & math only (we used it with my last k'er and are going at half pace, so need to fill it in a bit; he's done unit 1-11 this year and will do the next 12-26 for his official k year)

PE- karate, tagging along with mom at stroller strides

I think this is my plan :p  

Reading: lots of books (BOB, various Readers and easy reader books) He will have completed 100EZ by Fall.

Spelling: AAS Level 1

Math: MUS Alpha

Bible/Science/Character: MFW-K (skipping their reading and math)

PE: Swimming lessons, walks, wrestling with daddy, livin' life.

Arts: Classical Kids cds, lots of classical music, Come Look With Me books, general exposure.

• Like 1