Menu

any PaperbackSwap users here?

beckster

I have been on PBS for years, and enjoy swapping books through their site.  They are changing to a fee-based membership model.  Any other paperback swappers here?  What are your thoughts?  I think I will try it for the first year and see how it goes.  I have a lot of credits I don't want to loose!

I am planning on leaving...I think I will use up my current points and money and then walk away....it costs so much anyway to mail books that I just can't fathom spending more to get rid of my books...there are used book stores and thrift stores that I can give them too also.

I am planning on leaving...I think I will use up my current points and money and then walk away....it costs so much anyway to mail books that I just can't fathom spending more to get rid of my books...there are used book stores and thrift stores that I can give them too also.

This.

I only have a few credits left, and haven't decided whether to go through the work for finding something available.  I'm far away in getting my current wish list items.

I've been thinking it over. The changeover happens Feb. 15. I did not mind the fee (.50 per transaction) on PBSs sister site CDSwap, but since I was always book trading and transferring credits for CDSwap it becomes a bit moot. I'm not getting the books I really want to continue paying for the bother of increases in both USPS and PBS. 

So far, it's been equitable to the cheaper prices on Thriftbooks and I enjoy the surprise when a book pops up, but I think we're moving past that. It feels like fewer people with my interests are on PBS and I don't think this increase will improve my chances. It may be easier to quit and look for the books on bookfinder.com. 

It's less expensive than buying used on Amazon @ $3.99 for shipping plus the cost of the used book.  Even if the book was only $.01 it would still cost $4 total, but most used books cost substantially more than that so I end up paying between $6-8 total.  OTOH PBS is around ~$3.25 for a regular sized paperback (including their postage charge), but of course there is the added hassle of entering, storing, printing, and mailing for credits, and then the inconvenience of not always finding the book you are looking for.  It's really a toss up for convenience over price.

Well, bummer. I have about 10 credits and slow moving books on my wish list. I will not use it as a fee based service, even a small fee. I am casting enough nickels and dimes around other places these days, I don't need another to keep track of. If my requests were coming through in a more timely fashion, perhaps I would consider it, but I have not been able to count PBS as a good resource the last couple of years.

It's less expensive than buying used on Amazon @ $3.99 for shipping plus the cost of the used book.  Even if the book was only $.01 it would still cost $4 total, but most used books cost substantially more than that so I end up paying between $6-8 total.  OTOH PBS is around ~$3.25 for a regular sized paperback (including their postage charge), but of course there is the added hassle of entering, storing, printing, and mailing for credits, and then the inconvenience of not always finding the book you are looking for.  It's really a toss up for convenience over price.

This is the debate.  I am going to continue on for this year and see how it goes.  So I guess price is winning out at this point!  Thank you all for your thoughts!

I may also try it for a year. I have some book credits, as well as some books sitting here that I've been meaning to post. They have said all along that they may need to go to a pay for membership set-up. And, it may be that after a year, they decide to discontinue the fee or come up with some other structure too. Who knows?

There are not huge amounts of books on PBS to my taste, but I have quite a few things on my wish list & every now & then, I'll get lucky & one of the things will pop up. I'm willing to wait. And, many times, those books are not just a penny on amazon or other used book sites, so I'd still be paying quite a bit more to purchase the book used. So, overall, I think I'll pay & stick w/ it another year, then evaluate at that time.

I won't continue using it. It hasn't been serviceable to me in the last few years. I went through my llooooong list of "saved for later" books in my Amazon cart, some of dh's go-to writers, and some recs from here to use up my handful of credits. As soon as everything comes through, I'll delete my profile.

I'd pretty much forgotten about PBS!  I just logged in - I have 8 credits, but none of the books on my wish list has become available for over a year.  I looked up a few authors I like and almost ordered, but it's probably better for me to just get them from the library as I've been doing.   I looked over my transaction archive and nearly all the books I've gotten from them have been moved back out of my house via donation to the library.  So.... I think I'm done.

I've had books on my wishlist for years.  I decided to cash in my credits on a bunch of old cookbooks and mystery novels.  I figured if a bunch of people left when the fee came into play, then my books would be on the wishlist for several more years.  Might as well get out now.  

I used to be a big fan of PBS! But after having a child I just didn't have the time for all of the hassle of posting, wrapping and mailing books.  And the quality of the books you receive isn't always that great.  I do much better an Amazon when I can choose the condition of the used book.

I posted some kind of computer book of my DH's and had to give back my credit AND was out the cost of shipping AND the book because I didn't realize that the book originally came with some kind of CD.  Yeah, that was fun!

And I have some books on my wishlist where I have been #1 in the queue since 2006!!