Menu

confession: I didn't know what rep points were until tonight...

I just searched and started reading posts. I apologize if we were all expected to participate in this. I will begin to participate. In fact I did just give a rep point to someone.

I'm a little confused. What is the point? It seems a bit like a popularity contest. The reward for me is to view and participate in respectful discussion. If someone has a question on a topic with which I am familiar I add my thoughts. I try to be respectful in my responses and I would assume everyone else does too. I am grateful when someone can answer my questions. So, why do we need rep points? Is it just to say thanks? If so, the thing I don't like about it then it's like we are showing off by having the points.

Understand, I do plan on participating in this system and I can't see giving anything but positive feedback, but I'm trying to understand what we're accomplishing.

Thank you to all of you for your insight, jokes, and wisdom that get me through all I have to do.

SWB discusses this in one of her threads at the top of one of her boards. In part it has to do with the sale and swap forum. I don't always remember to give rep, either, but when I do, I do. There have been a number of threads on this, and you may be able to find them by doing a search.:001_smile:

I didn't notice it at first either, Betty, nor did I get it when I first noticed it, but I do now. It is a way of letting someone you know that you appreciate them, or their post, or sending them a nice note, sort of like sending flowers, but the board way. It is a way of cheering someone up, or letting them know you are there for them. I was really sparing with my reps at first, mostly because I kept forgetting them, and I don't just throw them around now, but I do love giving them for great posts, and to people I think deserve them. It is wonderful to get them, too, especially with a special message, that can just make your day :).

I find that I often give them out in lieu of posting. I don't like to put a lot of stuff out there for the whole world to read (just because you never know who might find your words floating around out there in cyberspace), but sometimes I want to let people know that I appreciated a post.

Also, I always rep people who have helped me by responding to a question I have asked.

For the past several weeks, though, I've been doing the rep fairy thing and have been giving it to people for the sole purpose of helping them earn more squares. I suppose it does kind of defeat the original purpose:001_huh:, but it's fun. I like looking for people who are close to getting a new square and being the one to push them over the edge.:)

I find that I often give them out in lieu of posting. I don't like to put a lot of stuff out there for the whole world to read (just because you never know who might find your words floating around out there in cyberspace), but sometimes I want to let people know that I appreciated a post.

Also, I always rep people who have helped me by responding to a question I have asked.

Yes, I like the comments part the best, and also give certain comments that way rather than posting them. I have even given rep when I disagreed if I thought they stated it rather well or if half of what they said made sense, but I haven't done that often. I haven't bothered with giving neg rep, at least not so far, and have no plans to at this point in time.

It seems a bit like a popularity contest.... If so, the thing I don't like about it then it's like we are showing off by having the points.

Betty, the thing is, we don't have a choice NOT to participate. I mean, we don't have to give rep, obviously, but we can't exactly turn off the squares, KWIM? They are there, glaring at us.

I LOVE the comments. I just kinda wish it wasn't so public. Or maybe I wish that it were MORE public, such that we saw who the reps were from.

Anyway, I reckon the PTB have a reason for leaving it like htis.

For the past several weeks, though, I've been doing the rep fairy thing and have been giving it to people for the sole purpose of helping them earn more squares. I suppose it does kind of defeat the original purpose:001_huh:, but it's fun. I like looking for people who are close to getting a new square and being the one to push them over the edge.:)

How can you tell that someone is close to getting a new square? Can one see the actual rep count anywhere?

How can you tell that someone is close to getting a new square? Can one see the actual rep count anywhere?

Click on Members List at the top of the page. Then click on Reputation. This will sort everyone by the number of rep points they have, greatest to least. The first person you find on the list with 2 squares (under the last person on the list with 3 squares), for example, is the closest person to earning the third square. It doesn't show you exactly how close they are, but you'll know they're very close just because they're the top person with 2 squares (does that make sense?).

A good percentage of the time, giving rep to the top person in a level will move them up to the next level, and that's fun.:)

A good percentage of the time, giving rep to the top person in a level will move them up to the next level, and that's fun.:)

Oh, that's really neat. Someone did this for me a few days ago. I was thrilled!

You can give it when you're happy

You can give it when you're glad

You can give it when you're pissy

But, then the points are bad

It's a way to give a thank you

Or a way to give support

It's a way to let a poster know

They've said something of import

You can shoot it to a stranger

You can fling it to a friend

You can rep yourself quite silly

And, then your rep will end

The system will rebuke you

Saying, "You done gave too much."

Then, you'll have to wait a day or so

Before you get in touch

If you want to be anonymous

You need not sign your name

But neg rep sent in secret

Really is a bloody shame

So, use it if you want to

Ignore it if you will

Green squares are just the cyber way

To get and give cheap thrills.

:D

So, why do we need rep points? Is it just to say thanks? If so, the thing I don't like about it then it's like we are showing off by having the points.

Understand, I do plan on participating in this system and I can't see giving anything but positive feedback, but I'm trying to understand what we're accomplishing.

They're not necessary, we don't need them and you do not have to/are not expected to participate. Those who want to, can. I don't for the reasons you stated. I say what I want to say in a post so giving "points" or extra little comments just doesn't enter my mind.