Menu

Younger son's turn - more books!

lewelma

Ok, this boy is a very gentle soul.  Kind of sweet and innocent, and he does not like to be scared or creeped out. I've done quite a bit of research here, but would love to hear if any of these books would be inappropriate.  I am especially concerned about She, The Left Hand of Darkness, Flowers of Algernon, and Jurassic Park.  Also, I would like to know if any of these book are particularly boring -- I've put The Worm Ouroboros as a audio book because it looked really slow, but seems to be an interesting pre-Tolkein fantasy.  The LA stands for books I can get Sparknotes of Shmoop literary analysis for.  DS likes thinking about themes and characters, so we will be doing more discussion this year.  He is very uncertain about Sci Fi, so I was trying to find some real gentle ones. He has read A Wrinkle in Time before but it was a really long time ago. Would love other suggestions for the smaller categories.

We will NOT (of course) read all these books, but ds likes choice! He is currently reading Count of Monte Cristo.

Thanks!

Ruth in NZ (who is doing her annual planning (can you tell? :001_smile: ))

DS 6th grade

Adventure Stories

Count of Monte Cristo. Dumas. 1845. LA

Kidnapped. Stevenson. 1883. LA

King Solomons mines. LA People of the Mist. & She. Haggard. 1886.

The Man who would be King. Kipling. 1888.

Prisoner of Zenda. Hope. 1894. (King swap)

Five Weeks in a Baloon. Master of the World. Vern. 1904

Captain Blood. Sabatini. 1905. (pirates)

Horatio Hornblower . Forester. 1937. (Napoleonic)

The Little Prince. Saint-ExupĂƒÂ©ry. 1943. LA

Westing Game. Raskin 1979 LA

Life of Pi. Martel. 2001. LA

The Book Thief. Zusak. 2005. LA

Historical Fiction

Mutiny on the Bounty. Nordhoff and Hall. 1932.

Wool Pack. & A load of Unicorn. Harnett. 1951 (about 15th C)

Fantasy

The Worm Ouroboros. Eddison. 1922. (Librivox)

King Elfland's Daughter. Donsay. 1924.

The Lord of the Rings. Tolkein. 1937. LA (reread)

The Dark is Rising. Cooper. 1965

The Last Unicorn. Beagle. 1968.

The Left Hand of Darkness. Le Guin. 1969.

Magician's Apprentice. Feist. 1982.

The Hero and the Crown. McKinley. 1984. (newbury)

The Dragonborn chair. Williams. 1988.

Golden Compass. Pullman. 1995. LA

Mystery

Moonstone. Collins. 1868

Mystery of the Haunted Pool. & Hidden Hand. Whitney. 1969

Sci Fi

War of the Worlds. Wells. 1887. LA

Have Space Suit, Will Travel. Heinlein. 1959.

Flowers for Algernon. Keyes. 1959. LA

Jurassic Park. Crichton. 1990.LA

Star beast. Heinlein. 1959

Little Fuzzy. Piper. 1962

Wrinkle in Time. L'Engle. 1962. LA (reread)

Witches of Karres. Schmitz. 1966

Zero Stone. Norton. 1968

Humor

The Cricket in the Hearth. Dickens. 1845.

Short Stories of Mark Twain. 1860. LA

Three Men in a Boat. Jerome. 1889.

Wodehouse. 1940s.

The princess Bride. Goldman. 1973. LA

The Color of Magic. Pratchett. 1983.

Biography

Travels with Charley. Steinbeck. 1962.

The Double Helix. Watson. 1968.

Uncle Tungsten. Sacks. 2001.

I'm a lurker and unfortunately, I haven't read the particular books you asked about. So I don't have much to comment on, except to say you have excellent taste (as always!).

The real question I have is...with all the incredible advice I'm reading from you in the archives, have you considered writing a blog so it's all in one place? Sorry for veering off-topic.

I'm a lurker and unfortunately, I haven't read the particular books you asked about. So I don't have much to comment on, except to say you have excellent taste (as always!).

The real question I have is...with all the incredible advice I'm reading from you in the archives, have you considered writing a blog so it's all in one place? Sorry for veering off-topic.

:blushing:  How nice.

The Left Hand of Darkness is an amazing book, truly.  I loved it.  But, IMO, it's an adult book.  It's not too hard, it's not too violent or bloody, but the themes are very adult.  She is really exploring gender identity and gender and power relationships.  The inhabitants on this planet change their gender from male to female.  It's deeply thought provoking, but I think a lot of it would be over the head of, and perhaps disturbing for, a kid who really isn't grappling with sexuality much yet.  I'd hold off on that one.

Jurassic Park - well, most of the characters get eaten by dinosaurs, but they are kind of jerks, and you are kind of rooting for the dinosaurs - so it depends on if you think he'd be sensitive to humans being hunted and eaten?  I thought the movie was much scarier than the book.

ETA: Has he read the Earthsea trilogy by Le Guin?  That's where I'd start if he hasn't read them yet.

The Left Hand of Darkness is an amazing book, truly.  I loved it.  But, IMO, it's an adult book.  It's not too hard, it's not too violent or bloody, but the themes are very adult.  She is really exploring gender identity and gender and power relationships.  The inhabitants on this planet change their gender from male to female.  It's deeply thought provoking, but I think a lot of it would be over the head of, and perhaps disturbing for, a kid who really isn't grappling with sexuality much yet.  I'd hold off on that one.

Agreeing with this. What about Pern for a fantasy selection?

Also, be aware that the *novel* Flowers for Algernon also explores sexual themes. The short story does not, to the best of my recollection. I'm not sure which one you intended in your list.

If he's not fond of sci fi, why read it?

DD and DH did War of the Worlds recently, and it's a much, much harder read than I remembered. Part of it is the language, and that it's simply an old book, but part of it is that it just seems to drag and is very wordy in places. It's still a neat story, but as DH commented, it could have been half the length and been twice as effective.

If he hasn't read "Rocket Ship Galileo", which was Heinlein's first published novel, you may want to pull that one out. It's a quick, easy read (as is "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel", and it would be a nice companion piece. DD and DH are reading "Four Frontiers" right now, which is a collection of four of Heinlein's early novels, and are quite enjoying it, as well as getting into a lot of discussion about politics and science. It's very obvious, in those early pieces, that Heinlein's views were shaped strongly by WWII and that worldview, which is dovetailing nicely with history. It's also kind of neat seeing how close and how far away he was.

I agree with waiting on Left hand of Darkness. Has he read "The ones who walk away from Omelas?" It's another very powerful work, but may be more age-appropriate for a 6th grader than Left hand of Darkness. 

Which version of Flowers for Algernon are you looking at? I tend to prefer the short story over the expanded novel. Both are great, but I think it's more powerful and packs a bigger punch in the original short story form.

The Left Hand of Darkness is an amazing book, truly.  I loved it. 

ETA: Has he read the Earthsea trilogy by Le Guin?  That's where I'd start if he hasn't read them yet.

Sigh, that is the book he just bought with his christmas gift card at the book store.  oops.  The lady recommended it because he already had read the Earthsea trilogy (although he found it too scary).

Sounds like Jurassic Park is out too.  No chasing humans trying to kill them.

Also, be aware that the *novel* Flowers for Algernon also explores sexual themes. The short story does not, to the best of my recollection. I'm not sure which one you intended in your list.

If he's not fond of sci fi, why read it?

Ok, I think we have the novel. He didn't want to read it a year ago because he thought it would be too sad. So maybe not yet.

As for Sci Fi, I'm just trying to make sure that he doesn't narrow his focus too much. Kids who just read one or two genres sometimes struggle to later broaden. So this is why I added the humor. In his ideal world it would be adventure and fantasy all the way. Also, this boy does like deep thinking, and sometimes adventure and fantasy simplify the world into good and evil, so I am looking for a way to give him that deep thinking he craves. But is sounds like I need to ditch Sci Fi for now.

Does anyone have a different category of books that are deep but not scary or lovey/dovey?

His all time favourite book is Watership Down.

No to Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He does NOT want to read that book. sigh. One of my favorites. I'll look at the invisible man. I'll also check on the speed of the War of the Worlds. Recently, he has become less tolerant to plodding books.

If he hasn't read "Rocket Ship Galileo", which was Heinlein's first published novel, you may want to pull that one out. It's a quick, easy read (as is "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel", and it would be a nice companion piece. DD and DH are reading "Four Frontiers" right now, which is a collection of four of Heinlein's early novels, and are quite enjoying it, as well as getting into a lot of discussion about politics and science. It's very obvious, in those early pieces, that Heinlein's views were shaped strongly by WWII and that worldview, which is dovetailing nicely with history. It's also kind of neat seeing how close and how far away he was.

Has he read "The ones who walk away from Omelas?" It's another very powerful work, but may be more age-appropriate for a 6th grader than Left hand of Darkness.

Will check on these. I know that I need to get Heinlein juveniles, so picked Have Spacesuit because it kept showing up in the 'best sci fi' lists. Is there a reason to do the early ones first if we are not studying WW2?

+++

Got to run. Have to pick up my family from tramping. My all-alone holiday is over! :sad:

IMO Jurassic Park the book was way worse than the movie for the 'ick' factor - not blood and guts either but more psychological 'ick'  -- yeah, it's almost all 'bad guys' getting killed but it was the description of how.  The movie was more 'adrenaline' rush scary though.

What about Andre Norton - I loved her books when I was a kid... The Zero Stone and Beast Master especially.  Or the Witches of Karres by Schmitz?  H.Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy?  Haven't read any of those post kids though. 

ETA: I would call all these 'classic' sci fi, not really deep thought sci fi -- although I would not pick Jurrassic Park as either deep or classic.  

2nd edit: Didn't care for Heinlein's juveniles all that much (liked them enough that I read them all though), The Star Beast was probably my favorite.   Interesting that Have Spacesuit Will Travel showed up on so many lists- I would have guessed Starship Troopers as his most classic juvenile.    I would pick the one that would seem most interesting to your DS not that one in particular.

IMO Jurassic Park the book was way worse than the movie for the 'ick' factor - not blood and guts either but more psychological 'ick'  -- yeah, it's almost all 'bad guys' getting killed but it was the description of how.  The movie was more 'adrenaline' rush scary though.

What about Andre Norton - I loved her books when I was a kid... The Zero Stone and Beast Master especially.  Or the Witches of Karres by Schmitz?  H.Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy?  Haven't read any of those post kids though. 

ETA: I would call all these 'classic' sci fi, not really deep thought sci fi -- although I would not pick Jurrassic Park as either deep or classic.  

2nd edit: Didn't care for Heinlein's juveniles all that much (liked them enough that I read them all though), The Star Beast was probably my favorite.   Interesting that Have Spacesuit Will Travel showed up on so many lists- I would have guessed Starship Troopers as his most classic juvenile.    I would pick the one that would seem most interesting to your DS not that one in particular.

You and I apparently read all the same books.  :)  And yep, I preferred Star Beast to the other Heinlein youth stories, although I did read them all.

I don't think Starship  Troopers is considered a Juvenile-the characters are adults and considered adults. Young adults, but adults. A big theme in the Juveniles is kids who are considered kids by society, but are in situations where they have to function as responsible adults (and often do so better than the adults would). Citizen of the Galaxy is another that is sometimes considered a juvenile, and sometimes not (and is the "heaviest" in my opinion).

My favorite juveniles tend to be the earlier ones-Have Spacesuit will travel is actually one of my least favorites, because it's too black and white. Wormfaces bad, things good, humans somewhere in between, but mostly good. In most of the others, the struggle is either against the environment or against groups and issues within humans, often with an alien observer (Star Beast, Red planet), with a strong bent towards colonization and expansion.

You see many of the same themes in the later works-like Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and to some degree Stranger in a Strange Land.  And then, he went off the rails and started getting very, very strange indeed, I'm pretty convinced that after "Stranger" Heinlein could write anything and get it published, and that some of his books were him seeing just how far he could go.

As for Sci Fi, I'm just trying to make sure that he doesn't narrow his focus too much. Kids who just read one or two genres sometimes struggle to later broaden. So this is why I added the humor. In his ideal world it would be adventure and fantasy all the way. Also, this boy does like deep thinking, and sometimes adventure and fantasy simplify the world into good and evil, so I am looking for a way to give him that deep thinking he craves. But is sounds like I need to ditch Sci Fi for now.

I think of general literature and then genre fiction: sci fi, mystery, romance, fantasy, etc. To read genre fiction to the exclusion of general isn't good, but the other way? Meh, I don't think sci fi is requisite for a well-rounded education. And we're sci-fi fans here.

Does anyone have a different category of books that are deep but not scary or lovey/dovey?

His all time favourite book is Watership Down.

Has he read Redwall? It's not the level you're looking for here, but if he liked Watership Down, he'd probably love it for free reading.

Have you looked at Sophie's World? Ds read that around 6th grade and really liked it.

I was one of the few that wanted to gouge my eyes out with Redwall.  However, so many kids just fall in love.

I fell in love with Heinlein.  He is often too sexy for 6th grade, but Stranger in a Strange Land totally blew my mind when I read it.  It has been a very long time since I read Starship Troopers.  I remember re-reading it in college to write about the Nazi Germany overtones and whether it was satire or not.  When I re-read I remember recognizing a lot of inuendo and much that few over my head.  Heinlein is really good at such things.  I do not recall anything specific which would give much definitive advice, but it might be one to look into.  The movie was complete garbage and over the top violent.  Someone once called it Melrose Place with severed limbs.  The book was nothing like that in my memory.  Definitely Shmoop-able.

Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles is wonderful.  I still have vivid memories of reading it around that age.  It is a short story collection/episodic novel.  So he can read a section or two, stop, read a few more, stop.  He can also read the whole thing through.  Doesn't matter.  Totally a PG book.  Very little that I would consider scary, definitely nothing sexy.  Basically humans are invading Mars because our planet is devestated.  It chronicles Earths attempts to colonize and the aftermath from various viewpoints. I'm pretty sure it is Shmoop-able.

Ender's Game is really good, but it is rather heavy.  Depending on the sensitivity of the child, it can be depressing.  There are are few parts of punctuated violence, but most of the book is a study in the psychology of a gifted boy as he grapples with finding himself and his purpose.  As such, it can feel both liberating to read for an accelerated child or it can feel haunting.  No sex.  No relationships. The movie was a piece of trash as much as I heard. I refused to see it based upon my love of the book. Shmoop-able.

Anthem by Ayn Rand is more dystopian rather than sci-fi.  Deep book.  Short book.  Great discussion book.  No sex (the main character does basically fall in love with a girl, but it is not explored.  They go off and live together.  That is it.  No relationship talk or anything).  Society has bascially reverted back to pre-electricity.  Everyone has an assigned job, no names only numbers, no questioning, no writing.  Main character discovers and old mine (or railway tunnel?) and finds items from the past.  This causes him to begin to question society and to begin thinking for himself.  There is one scene where a person gets burned as a heretic.  Here is the book in Gutenburg so you can read the couple paragraphs about the "Saint of the Pyre." Page 16 starting in the last two paragraphs after "and yet..." and into Page 17.  You can read it to check.  The idea is more to show how society is controlled, but you should see for yourself since you know your kiddo.  Also Shmoop-able.

Yeah, I think Ender's Game might not be the best thing for a really sensitive kid, although I agree it is an amazing book.

If you liked Athem, you should really check out We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, and compare them.  I prefer the latter.

I have somehow not managed to get into Heinlein or Bradbury much, but they are very popular! The Martian Chronicles has some chapters which might qualify as disturbing, and some that are really wonderful (and some that are just . . . strange).

I love Bradbury, and I just realized that I think my sensitive 5th grader could handle some of his stories, but not sure about Martian Chronicles. I think my favorite Bradbury short story of all time is Sound of Thunder.

This thread encouraged me to push my sensitive 5th grader a bit. She tends to stick with realistic books--contemporary or historical, but I'd like to have her broaden her reading a bit. We've started a "family book club", and DH, DD, and I are starting with Earthsea. We all have Kindles or Kindle apps so it is pretty easy to do this, and I think DD will be willing to broaden her interests if we're partnering with her.

Have you looked at Sophie's World? Ds read that around 6th grade and really liked it.

I think Sophie's World is definitely enjoyable at this age, but I have trouble imagining Sophie's World on its own without additional philosophical discourse. It's just the perfect launching point, but that could just be my perspective. I was out of college when it came out so I read it on my own and just kept thinking back to my college philosophy courses, mostly wishing I remembered more about them! So, in my head, I have it on my list for DD to tie in with basic philosophy discussion in early high school.

This juxtaposition amuses me. The Pern books (with the exception of the subseries aimed at young adults) aren't exactly tame.

(I do agree that the short story of Flowers is probably more appropriate for 6th grade level)

Anyways...

If Jurassic Park is out, I would think that a number of books on the list would be too much. (Highlight for spoilers)

Life of Pi includes cannibalism of the main character's family (mostly described metaphorically, but made clear in the end). A lot of adults find this one really disturbing.

The Book Thief is about war and Nazis and so on. Kids get killed. But it's less specifically horror/tension than Jurassic Park, so maybe ok.

The Golden Compass is about horrific (though not realistic) child abuse and murder. The series as a whole is about sexual awakening, though it's metaphorical enough that it would probably fly over the head of a 6th grader. (My 6th grade DS did read it recently and enjoy it)

That's just the ones I'm familiar with.

Citizen of the Galaxy was my favorite Heinlein, the only one of his juvenile books that made a lasting impression on me; plenty of good discussion points.

Has he read The Prince and the Pauper? What about A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? I remember enjoying those around that age.

What about the Douglas Adams books?  They are funny sci-fi.

I'm glad you decided to drop Jurassic Park.  I just got done reading it, and the book is very different from the movie.  The book starts with some horrible scenes of babies getting eaten (very descriptive scenes by the way) by dinosaurs.  There is some of that throughout the book, although the opening scenes are the worst.

I don't remember anything in either Ender's Game or the Golden Compass  that was near as bad as Jurassic Park.  Also, I know many love The Golden Compass - but I put it down halfway through as too boring to go on the first time I tried to read it  (only managed to read it all the way through due to the request of a friend). 

Spoilers for Ender and Jurassic Park (highlight to see):

I know everyone brings up Ender killing 2 people by accident - but the first time I read it I don't think I even caught  on that.they died    A far cry from the description of a guy getting eaten alive in Jurassic Park by comparison

I don't remember anything in either Ender's Game or the Golden Compass  that was near as bad as Jurassic Park.  Also, I know many love The Golden Compass - but I put it down halfway through as too boring to go on the first time I tried to read it  (only managed to read it all the way through due to the request of a friend). 

Golden Compass (highlight for spoilers) - The child she goes to save ends up being murdered by her father. Future books also include some kids fighting to the death type stuff, if I remember right.  I don't know - there's a lot of pretty psychologically intense stuff in it, but it is written for kids, and it's possible that a lot of it would not be as disturbing for a pre-teen as for an adult.

Ender's Game - I'd think it would be ok myself, definitely more than some of the other choices, but I've heard of very sensitive kids being upset by how the war ends.

Terry Pratchet's stuff isn't going to be sexy or too earth-shattering. I love his teen series that begins with Wee Free Men. It's light but fun and you can always think deeper thoughts with Pratchet if you try or just read it for fun :)

I loved my 7th grade gifted humanities class...we read and dissected Watership Down, The Martian Chronicles, Wrinkle in Time, and Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. These were all great

Has he read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien? ETA: Hmmm, probably too young...

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. He would probably be ok with this if he was ok with Watership Down

Tom Sawyer?

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink.

The Dark is Rising series

Thanks so much for all the ideas!  I wake up and find you guys have been busy helping me. :001_smile:

Unfortunately, ds has read a lot of your great ideas:

Enders Game & Speaker of the Dead,

the Martian Chronicles,

Borrough's Mars series,

Redwald

Prince and the Pauper

Conn Yankee

I even think he has read The Golden Compass but thought he might like to reread it (but need to check on that).

He didn't get the humor of Doublas Adams in 5th grade, so I might wait until next year

Does not like Sherlock Holmes because he finds it scary

I'll look into the other suggestions (and get back with questions), and check up on Life of Pi and Book Thief.

+++++

I talked to him last night after he came home from tramping and he said that he loves fantasy, but hates how they are all kid-ish.  He wants deep thinking books, but I think he has picked the wrong favourite genre. :001_rolleyes:  I've basically decided that fantasy focuses on very black and white thinking - good vs evil.  And because of this, most adults don't read heaps of it, so all the books are written for YA.  My ds can sense they are thin in thought, which is why he does not really like them, but yet he also does.  Very difficult.

So just to give you guys an idea of how I have helped this gentle soul have the deep thinking he wants without scary/disturbing material:  We just read Ivanhoe.  He loved it because it is a sweet story, and although it doesn't have a lot of depth, we could use sparksnotes to talk about the historical era it was written in - negativity towards the jews, women's roles.  Also, we could discuss what it would have been like for the Saxons to have Norman invaders, and the role of power hungry nobles and how they were hedging their bets between two leaders, not knowing who would win.  So the deep thinking was almost not about the novel, but more a jumping off point for deep discussions of the era it was set in and the era it was written in.  What I did was read the summary and commentary after every 3 chapters he read, so we kept up with the issues as they arose.  If he came to a hard part, I would selectively read the summary for the 3 chapters ahead so he could orient himself before reading.  This was very effective and he really enjoyed it.

So given that recent positive experience, I'm wondering about trying for a cluster of historical fiction, and ditch Science Fiction completely.  So what about something like Last of the Mohicans or to work with our currently studies -- I, Claudius?  I already have some historical fiction listed under adventure, like Mutany of the Bounty.  Although we are doing the Ancients, I don't mind historical fiction from any era.  There have to be some good classic historical fiction books, with deep thinking, that don't cover adult themes.  He does not want kiddy books as he calls them, so I'm not looking for Newbury Award Winners (he has read most of them already).

Plus he might like to try for some biographies/memoirs of the adventurers - like something about the South Pole etc.

Suggestions for either of these categories?

Thanks!

ETA: I've kicked out Life of Pi and The Book Thief, and realised that I've removed 2 of the ones with literary analysis available.  Does anyone know of any modern books that are more appropriate for my ds that would still have lit analysis.  Or is the problem that books need to have difficult themes to make them worth assigning in middle school to discuss?  If so, I'll just stick with the classics.

Terry Pratchet's stuff isn't going to be sexy or too earth-shattering. I love his teen series that begins with Wee Free Men. It's light but fun and you can always think deeper thoughts with Pratchet if you try or just read it for fun :)

I loved my 7th grade gifted humanities class...we read and dissected Watership Down, The Martian Chronicles, Wrinkle in Time, and Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. These were all great

Has he read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien? ETA: Hmmm, probably too young...

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. He would probably be ok with this if he was ok with Watership Down

Tom Sawyer?

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink.

The Dark is Rising series

Thanks for more ideas!  I'm sorry to say, that this boy is my big reader!  And he has read I think everything you have listed:

Watership down

the martian chronicles

wrinkle in time

alice in wonderland/through the looking glass

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Tom Sawyer

Caddie Woodlawn

My dh said Old Yeller is too sad and he *hated* the book.  Don't get too many strong reactions out of him, so I'm trusting him on that one. ;)  ETA: just saw we were posting at the same time Rose.  Sounds like my dh agrees with you!

And I looked at The Dark is Rising series - and apparently it is pretty scary/intense.  Did you find it this way?

I'm feeling :willy_nilly:   But thanks anyway!

When he says he likes fantasy better but it is too light - what particular books is he liking (besides Watership Down)? 

Also, most of the young adult fantasy I can think of are definitely getting more into the 'more violence' arena and it seems there is not so much 'classic' fantasy as there is classic scifi (older generally having less explicit violence)--  how about:

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Howl's Moving Castle

The Neverending Story

Wee Free Men

The Thief

Haven't read the Dark is Rising since 5th/6th grade - don't remember it being too intense but didn't like it enough to read it again ever either

When he says he likes fantasy better but it is too light - what particular books is he liking (besides Watership Down)? 

The Enchanted forest series (he has read this every year since 2nd grade)

Hobbit,  (re read this 3 times)

LoTR

Narnia (also read these every year since 2nd grade)

Eragon etc (I hate these, but he considers them "a fun easy read," read them 4 times )

Wizard of Oz (just re-read the first 4)

Problem is, these are seriously easy (except LoTR), so I don't want more at this level.

ETA: I'm thinking that I have enough Fantasy.  I'd like to try for classic historical fiction at this point, like Ivanhoe. see post 31.

Ok, here are a few possibilities in your new categories, with the caveat that I haven't read all of these, but they sound like they might fit the bill:

Verne - has he read all these already?  Around the World in 80 Days was our favorite, but there are many others

Poe - The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket - not creepy Poe, but adventurous Poe?

Cooper - The Crater  - an ocean adventure

Collins - The Moonstone

Haggard - King Solomon's Mines

Stevenson - Kidnapped and Treasure Island.  He's probably read these?

Doyle - The White Company or The Lost Woeld

Hope - The Prisoner of Zenda

Sophie's World.  Ok, this looks really really interesting for my deep-thinking gentle boy.  But can an 11 year old actually read it?  Or should I wait a few years? 

I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. I think he could read it and think it's a great book, but I really want to combine it with philosophy study for DD, like I said above.

But, I am the type of person who would prefer to hold off on many books until older so that nuances will be better understood, appreciated, and considered. 

CS Lewis does have the adult sci-fi series (Perelandra is one of them, I don't recall the name of the series).  It is clean and has moral discussions.  It isn't his best writing (Narnia is better, imo), but I think the writing level itself is a tiny bit more complex than Narnia books.

As far as Sophie's World - I would think that your child could handle it.  It has a lot to discuss in it.

I don't have a lot of historical fiction to give you as ideas.  Something very different would be The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus (in dialect).  The Dialect can make it more complex to read, and there is a lot to discuss about the historical context of the stories.

I do not remember any intense parts in the Witches of Karres and I thought Little Fuzzy was considered adult when it was published (I know I first found it in the adult section anyway - not that necessarily that means it was published as adult).  I think there are a lot of older scifi books that are not intense the way books today can be.

Plus I understand you're not looking at fantasy - but just due to his list of favorites I have to add:

Patricia Wrede's Lyra novels (adult but in the older 'quest' style rather than the new more violent style of fantasy):  Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, Harp of Imach Thyssel, Caught in Crystal, The Raven Ring  -- and the Mairelon the Magician and Magician's Ward duo.

My favorite of these is the Raven Ring and Mairelon the Magician.  I have seen the Kindle Lyra compilation on sale a couple times. I would say they are harder reading level from Enchanted Forest but definitely in the light/good vs. evil/no deep themes category IMO

ETA: put Witches of Karres on hold at the library lol!  I've read it a few times but it's been at least 10 years now I'd guess

Ok, here are a few possibilities in your new categories, with the caveat that I haven't read all of these, but they sound like they might fit the bill:

Verne - has he read all these already?  Around the World in 80 Days was our favorite, but there are many others -- a lot of them, but not all.  Will go look them up

Poe - The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket - not creepy Poe, but adventurous Poe?  -- never heard of it!  will look

Cooper - The Crater  - an ocean adventure -- again, never heard of it. :001_smile: off to check....

Collins - The Moonstone - this is interesting.  My older boy read woman in white and then moonstone at about age 12.  I kept them off the list thinking they were scary. but perhaps not. will go look again

Haggard - King Solomon's Mines - I thought he had read it, but just asked and it was older ds who has.  so will definitely add

Stevenson - Kidnapped and Treasure Island.  He's probably read these? - read those, but considering having him reread and analyze.

Doyle - The White Company or The Lost Woeld - read lost world and loved it.  I didn't really like White Company when I read it.  It kind of has no underlining theme or anything to really discuss.

Hope - The Prisoner of Zenda - already on the list!  Great minds think alike!

I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. I think he could read it and think it's a great book, but I really want to combine it with philosophy study for DD, like I said above.

But, I am the type of person who would prefer to hold off on many books until older so that nuances will be better understood, appreciated, and considered. 

I know, I know.  It is so frustrating.  But I do need books *now*, so I might just do it at an 11 year old level, and find something else when he is older.  It sounds like it fits the bill of deep thinking, nonscary book! :hurray:

I'd consider The Dark is Rising to be similar to Harry Potter in terms of scariness level, but less sad. But it's definitely black and white good vs. evil, without a lot of grey (to my recollection, anyways).

ok, will put it on the list, with a caveat that it might be scary.

CS Lewis does have the adult sci-fi series (Perelandra is one of them, I don't recall the name of the series).  It is clean and has moral discussions.  It isn't his best writing (Narnia is better, imo), but I think the writing level itself is a tiny bit more complex than Narnia books.  He as read these, but I think too young. sigh.  should have waited a couple of years.

As far as Sophie's World - I would think that your child could handle it.  It has a lot to discuss in it. -- awesome.  He has asked for literary analysis/discussion this year for the first time.

I don't have a lot of historical fiction to give you as ideas.  Something very different would be The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus (in dialect).  The Dialect can make it more complex to read, and there is a lot to discuss about the historical context of the stories.  Now that is thinking out of the box! He has seen the old movie with my dad and enjoyed it through my dad's eyes and explanations. 

I do not remember any intense parts in the Witches of Karres and I thought Little Fuzzy was considered adult when it was published (I know I first found it in the adult section anyway - not that necessarily that means it was published as adult).  I think there are a lot of older scifi books that are not intense the way books today can be.

Plus I understand you're not looking at fantasy - but just due to his list of favorites I have to add:

Patricia Wrede's Lyra novels (adult but in the older 'quest' style rather than the new more violent style of fantasy):  Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, Harp of Imach Thyssel, Caught in Crystal, The Raven Ring  -- and the Mairelon the Magician and Magician's Ward duo.

My favorite of these is the Raven Ring and Mairelon the Magician.  I have seen the Kindle Lyra compilation on sale a couple times. I would say they are harder reading level from Enchanted Forest but definitely in the light/good vs. evil/no deep themes category IMO

ETA: put Witches of Karres on hold at the library lol!  I've read it a few times but it's been at least 10 years now I'd guess

Thanks for all of these.  Will go look them up. 

Rose,  I just found the full title of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. :001_smile:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“THE NARRATIVE OF ARTHUR GORDON PYM OF NANTUCKET, Comprising the details of a mutiny and atrocious butchery on board the American brig Grampus, on her way to the South Seas, in the month of June, 1827, with an account of the recapture of the vessel by the survivers; their shipwreck and subsequent horrible sufferings from famine; their deliverance by means of the British schooner Jane Guy; the brief cruise of this latter vessel in the Antarctic Ocean; her capture, and the massacre of her crew among a group of islands in the eighty-fourth parallel of southern latitude; together with the incredible adventures and discoveries still farther south to which that distressing calamity gave rise.Ă¢â‚¬

What a title!  Looks very similar to Mutiny on the Bounty, but perhaps a bit more :eek:  .  I might need to pre-read this.  Did you know the Guardian classified it in the 100 top books? 

ETA: would you choose The Crater over the Last of the Mohicans?  The second is more famous, but I will have to say that I tried to start it years ago and found it incredibly boring.  So perhaps The Crater is more exciting or at least starts faster?

I think it looks good, except I definitely wouldn't classify The Cricket in the Hearth (Dickens) as humor!  I read it for the first time over Xmas break, and I sobbed my eyes out!  I don't think it would appeal to him much, and it isn't funny, though all ends well.

I also tried to read The Princess Bride - having adored the movie - and the book is really different.  Really different.  I didn't end up finishing it.