Menu

Downton Abbey

BigMamaBird

I am SO HAPPY this is back on!!  I got way too excited last night when the opening credits started.  My Dh is a very patient man!!

I don't want to say anything that would spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.  But I have this intense desire to shove Thomas down a flight of stairs!  He's such a weasel.  So smug and mean and just . . . ugh!  Thomas!

I enjoyed last night's episode, but I enjoyed the show that came on after more.  It featured the historical expert guy who advises the show and it was fascinating.  

Can't wait for next week. :)

I hate Thomas, but I don't see him going anywhere.  Needs to be a villain among the servants.  Might get his comeuppance in the last season.  

I was so thrilled to have this back on as well.  I had a viewing party for some of my longtime homeschooling mom friends and a great time was had by all and all of us blew our new year's diet resolutions. :glare:     I was kind of disappointed that it only took a single episode Thomas to fall from his throne only to regain it by doing something heroic.  I wanted him to suffer a bit more. 

Big fan here too. I was shocked at Baxter's confession, so glad she did confess, but I didn't see that coming.

Poor Edith, my heart breaks for her.

I love the role that Mosley took in sort of being her conscience and encouraging her.  He's such a downtrodden sweetie pie.  He keeps getting knocked down, kicked but always gets back up.  Very Charlie Brown.

I love the role that Mosley took in sort of being her conscience and encouraging her. He's such a downtrodden sweetie pie. He keeps getting knocked down, kicked but always gets back up. Very Charlie Brown.

I love Mosley.

I felt badly for Daisy, and I hope she gets more encouragement. Maybe Mrs. Hughes will take her under her wing and boost her confidence a bit.

I love Mrs. Hughes too and Anna and Mr. Bates and Tom and...... Well all of them except Thomas, he is the character that you love to hate. But then I kind of feel sorry for him......

I just really love the show (if you can't tell). I have been excited the past month thinking about it.

I love Downton. That being said, I'm sorry for the path they are taking Mary down. It was a sweet show and now Mary's character is being made cheap, especially discussing $ex with the help. I hope it doesn't go the way of all television shows...but perhaps I'm a prude. How prudish must you be to be more "prudy" than Downton Abbey? Lol

What Shelly in IL said^^. And, I don't really like Gillingham. I don't think he's a bad guy or that he's not truly in love with Mary, but there is just no chemistry there. Not like there was with Matthew. And, that just makes it much less interesting, so I guess we have to sex it up a bit. :001_rolleyes:

I did enjoy the Manners episode. It would have been great to see something like that earlier on in the whole set of series, so we could watch and understand more. Their "historian"/manners guy clearly loves is job!

So glad they wrote the school teacher away. How could such a good teacher be so stoopid about what it means to sit at Lord G's table? Glad at least Mary had something to say to her. And I'm with you, Shelly about Mary. I wish they had worked in how maybe "testing" the waters worked to the demise of what could have been. 

I finally saw it tonight via website.

There is something to be said about waiting until a show is at its end and then watch non-stop. I completely forgot that Mrs. Hughes had arranged for Edith's baby to go to this family - dh had to remind me, I could not remember which guy Gillingham was and I had also completely forgotten about that little mystery of Bates and the suddenly deceased footman...

I love Mosley.

I felt badly for Daisy, and I hope she gets more encouragement. Maybe Mrs. Hughes will take her under her wing and boost her confidence a bit.

I love Molesly too. Must be that while Charlie Brown thing that a pp mentioned.

And Daisy. She reminds me of a woman I knew who was a fabulous cook but she always thought she was stupid. She probably had dyslexia but her school days ended before that was a commonly known issue.

I completely forgot that Mrs. Hughes had arranged for Edith's baby to go to this family - dh had to remind me, I could not remember which guy Gillingham was and I had also completely forgotten about that little mystery of Bates and the suddenly deceased footman...

I don't think Mrs. Hughs arranged for this.  She is not in on the secret.  The only ones in the know are Aunt Rosamond, Violet (I think), and the father of this family. 

I love Molesly too. Must be that while Charlie Brown thing that a pp mentioned.

And Daisy. She reminds me of a woman I knew who was a fabulous cook but she always thought she was stupid. She probably had dyslexia but her school days ended before that was a commonly known issue.

I thought that about Daisy too. That she probably has problems learning. I really hope she doesn't give up.

And no I don't think Mrs. Hughes knew about Edith's baby, but she probably does now.

I don't think Mrs. Hughs arranged for this.  She is not in on the secret.  The only ones in the know are Aunt Rosamond, Violet (I think), and the father of this family. 

Oh..then I did not forget it. Comforting. So the Dowager Duchess Grandma is in on it as well. I vaguely remember something now. I do remember Edith's Aunt being her confidante.

Oh..then I did not forget it. Comforting. So the Dowager Duchess Grandma is in on it as well. I vaguely remember something now. I do remember Edith's Aunt being her confidante.

The Dowager Duchess privately cornered Rosamond, chastising her about her excuse to learn French as a reason to travel to Switzerland, since Rosamond had always hated learning French.  She figured it out from there. 

Grandma and Aunt knew she placed the baby with a family abroad; but no one knows except Edith and the tenant farmer - (not even his wife)... that she decided to go get the child and bring her home.

What happened to Mary's 2nd suitor again? Not liking smarmy Tony anymore. Also, are we suppose to have an idea what happened to Edith's man? Did he disappear in Germany voluntarily? If not, why did he leave her in charge if his affairs and why is there more mention of that.

Also, was this Lord interested in Mrs Crawley last season? I don't remember him.

Yes, I believe so, they met for the second time at the Dowager Countess (Violet) for luncheon last season. They seemed to have a lot in common. He's also Mary's Godfather. The first time they met was in the second season, I believe, when his son drugged Tom's drink and he acted up at dinner.

Speaking of Tom I hope he can find happiness and doesn't leave the show. He has a fine line to walk and his circumstances would be tough to navigate. His and Sybil's story is what got me so interested in the show. By the way, I cried like a baby when she died, and still do, if I watch that episode.

Grandma and Aunt knew she placed the baby with a family abroad; but no one knows except Edith and the tenant farmer - (not even his wife)... that she decided to go get the child and bring her home.

Aunt Rosamond knows that she brought the child back as she repeatedly warned Edith not to do so.  I am not sure if she knows where the child was placed. 

What happened to Mary's 2nd suitor again? Not liking smarmy Tony anymore. Also, are we suppose to have an idea what happened to Edith's man? Did he disappear in Germany voluntarily? If not, why did he leave her in charge if his affairs and why is there more mention of that.

The second suitor is Mr. Blake, I think. I have seen him in previews so he should still be around. No idea about Mr. Greigson (Edith's love interest). Surely, he will show up, that will be interesting. I don't know about the business affairs matter. That maybe a key part to this season. I can't wait until Sunday.:)

So glad they wrote the school teacher away. How could such a good teacher be so stoopid about what it means to sit at Lord G's table? Glad at least Mary had something to say to her. And I'm with you, Shelly about Mary. I wish they had worked in how maybe "testing" the waters worked to the demise of what could have been. 

Agreeing here. I didn't think Mary was going to be that unwise. She is always portrayed as the one with brains, however, if I recall correctly in the first season, there is a similar slip in judgment.

Either way, she should know that when you say: "Nobody can ever know about this," you should not do it.

I love Downton. That being said, I'm sorry for the path they are taking Mary down. It was a sweet show and now Mary's character is being made cheap, especially discussing $ex with the help. I hope it doesn't go the way of all television shows...but perhaps I'm a prude. How prudish must you be to be more "prudy" than Downton Abbey? Lol

But wasn't Mary the one in bed with that guy in the first episode? And she needed the servants to help her cover it up? *Edited*  Just remembered--I think it was her sisters she called on to help, not the servants. Maybe someone with a better memory can set this straight?

Seems like the ladies' maids and valets are like house elves in Harry Potter--"they keeps their masters secrets".

So then she was already "cheap" as you say and perhaps it was her love for Matthew that made her rise above that.

But wasn't Mary the one in bed with that guy in the first episode? And she needed the servants to help her cover it up? *Edited*  Just remembered--I think it was her sisters she called on to help, not the servants. Maybe someone with a better memory can set this straight?

Seems like the ladies' maids and valets are like house elves in Harry Potter--"they keeps their masters secrets".

So then she was already "cheap" as you say and perhaps it was her love for Matthew that made her rise above that.

It was Anna (her lady's maid) and her mother who helped move Mr. Pamouk's body.  Edith later found out and spitefully sent a letter to the Turkish consulate (or something like that.)  Mr. Bates' first wife found out about it somehow (maybe O'Brien?) and told Richard Carlisle. He used that information to blackmail Mary into agreeing to marry him.  It was her father who convinced her not to marry him, but to accept her lumps and, perhaps, go to America if need be.  

I wouldn't say that this was her usual behavior as she regretted her dalliance with Mr. Pamouk not just because he died in her bed.  She had plenty of judgement for Rose when she was not behaving with decorum.