Menu

SAT results not matching success in rigorous courses

Ds has had pretty good success with our Great Books-focused study, and did well in his writing course (still lacking, tho). He did some SAT prep, but not a lot.

His scores were really low--Math and Critical Reading adding up to less than 1000.

My question is, will it seem a horrible mismatch on his college application--that his curriculum and grades (mostly A's and B's, with a couple of C's in math and foreign lang) don't seem to match up with his SAT's?

He did take the Compass test for Eng and scored in the low 90's, so he placed high in Eng at the Community College. And, he'll hopefully have good grades in CC classes (but we don't know what he'll take yet).

I can't offer a lot but I have been thinking about things like this.

my dd is a test taker. she's always done well on standardized test.

she has attention and organization issues that kept her class room grades at B's & C's though.

I'm thinking that students are more than just class grades or test scores but a total package.

Its hard right now but I anticipate kids mature in their own time and their skills catch up.

Now I just have to remember that later today when dd looses an assignment before I can check it!

:)

I would really stress the importance of those community college classes!!!

My daughter doesn't test well. On the SAT she took this past spring, she scored a 470 in reading, a 440 in math, and a 530 in writing. She's re-taking the SAT exam on November 1st and she's been studying more for them this time, too. Is your son planning on re-taking the SAT exam? (I believe it needs to taken no later than December of this year, if he wants the new scores available in time to apply to college this fall / winter)

She's already applied to her first-choice school (an in-state Virginia college) and they encouraged her to apply early when we spoke to one of the admissions' officers on the phone. They said that her SAT score *was* low, but the fact that she has a 3.0 gpa at the community college and 13 credits already completed was very good!! (She'll have 25 credits by the end of this school year).

They also encouraged her to write in her personal statement / essay about what she does outside of school (my daughter has a part-time job, she volunteers in the community with special needs children, she's an assistant instructor in Tae Kwon Do, she plays four musical instruments, etc.) -- all of those things, plus her community college transcript, will carry alot of weight.

And they specifically told us that they will look at her community college transcript before her SAT score because the SAT, basically, tells them if she's ready for college work and they'll already know she's ready for college work, by looking at her transcript.

Also...my daughter is only applying to the one college. It is her favorite -- out of the 12 colleges we visited -- and the only one she's interested in attending. If she isn't accepted, then she plans on returning to the community college and completing her AA degree, and then re-applying to the same college as a transfer student.

So, if you haven't done so, I would make a few college visits and see where he would like to attend. It's also very motivational, should he fall in love with one particular campus.

I hope this helps!!

I think test scores may be more important for homeschoolers than other kids. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what all the counselors and college admissions people have told me in conversations.

It's important to find out why he feels the scores weren't consistent with his other performance. I'd have him work and score several practice tests using an SAT prep book (and maybe try ACT to see if his scores are better--they all have comparison charts between the tests), duplicating the test conditions and timing--part of these tests is the necessity to keep sharp and focussed for a looonnnngggg period of quiet. If he continues to score low on the practice tests, I'd pay the money and send him to the best coaching I could find.

I'd make "test practice" part of coursework every week. Used to be you walked into these tests cold. No more. At least around here, every upper middle class parent that can afford it spends THOUSANDS on coaching, as far as I can tell.

Now that you can select which SAT to send, I'd have him take as many tests (after prep) as possible, selecting the best score.

Good luck to both of you.

Danielle

According to the SAT website, the average score is 1017 for the cr. reading and math. So just below 1000 isn't too far off, or super low. I wouldn't worry, just do some extra test prep and re-take the test. Also consider the ACT if the colleges your child is looking for will take it. Only submit the better of the two....

My ds's test scores were good, but not what I knew they could be. He is a very anxious test taker. I had given my son straight A's on his transcript and those were validated by 35 hours of university course work in which he had straight A's.

I would say, for homeschoolers, the standardized test scores are very important. But if your student just doesn't test well, concurrent courses can often show the student's ability in actual course work. Both were very important to my son in terms of scholarships. I doubt that his transcript for his home courses was looked at very seriously.

I would definitely work on your son's concurrent course grades and try to keep those as high as possible. They will definitely validate your transcript. And, try the ACT :-)

Two things --

1) Your son's grades in his outside classes are REALLY important. I suspect that they totally dwarf the SAT scores in importance.

2) Help your son do more SAT prep. After working through a good prep book (like Rocket Revolution) and having him do daily the SAT question of the day, have him work through a section of a real SAT every day. After he has done several exams this way, have him take one exam in a day. THEN he is really ready to take the SAT.

(Scores usually go up each time a student takes the test -- so take the tests at home to save stress and money and time!)

3) Do remember that the SAT is designed to be "tricky". It tests out-of-the-box thinking skills. More prep will help!

Best wishes,

Gwen

I third trying the ACT, or at least a practice test, if it is really an issue. The two tests are just so different, and some kids really go for one style over the other. Remember, ACT tests achievement rather than aptitude, more like, "have you been exposed to this" rather than, "can you figure out what I am asking." However, maybe with some more preparation on what to expect he would understand how to take this test. Which is really what it comes down to: can you take this test?

I would think (hope), though, that with some CC grades and "real" teacher recommendations, schools would not put as much weight on a single test score.

The red flag here could the be discrepancy - not the scores themselves, although I'm not sure the scores are really that far off for a student with a couple of C's. Thought that might occur is that he cheated on the other stuff or that you just made up grades you liked as opposed to "real" grades. Depending on the college, this could be very important.

If you think that is a concern, what he has to do, is convince them that his grades and CC work reflect the "real" him," not the SAT score.

He can do that by scoring better on the ACT, retaking the SAT, getting a couple of 5's on AP tests, scoring really well on SAT Subject tests, etc. I definitely recommend that he work through a few practice books/ tests beforehand.

He should also speak, in person, with the admissions people at his college of choice. A coherent, grammatically correct interview with a poised and confident candidate will help convince them.

I think test scores may be more important for homeschoolers than other kids. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what all the counselors and college admissions people have told me in conversations.

It's important to find out why he feels the scores weren't consistent with his other performance. I'd have him work and score several practice tests using an SAT prep book (and maybe try ACT to see if his scores are better--they all have comparison charts between the tests), duplicating the test conditions and timing--part of these tests is the necessity to keep sharp and focussed for a looonnnngggg period of quiet. If he continues to score low on the practice tests, I'd pay the money and send him to the best coaching I could find.

I'd make "test practice" part of coursework every week. Used to be you walked into these tests cold. No more. At least around here, every upper middle class parent that can afford it spends THOUSANDS on coaching, as far as I can tell.

Now that you can select which SAT to send, I'd have him take as many tests (after prep) as possible, selecting the best score.

Good luck to both of you.

Danielle

I have one child who is a great test taker and another who becomes a mush brain upon hearing the word, even though their actual class work is comparable. So I do realize that standardized tests do not always accurately reflect their actual abilities. Unfortuately, college admissions tend to use them to validate hs transcripts. However, CC classes trump SAT's. That being said, I would still have him retake the SAT's. Instead of just practicing I would get a study guide that helps you strategize (i.e. in the comprehension section, read the questions first, then read the article ). Can you try to analyze the areas where your son had trouble? The math program I used with my dd (MUS) didn't place an emphasis on math vocabulary; she recognized this weakness after taking the PSAT, so she brushed up on terms before taking the SAT's.

My ds took the ACT not the SAT, but he bombed it the first time. It was just a bad experience. The second time he took the ACT at a small college. The environment was better. He was better prepared mentally/ emotionally for the situation. The scores were better.

So, it may not be the test. It may be the setting where he took the test. It may be that he underestimated the emotion stress of the whole situation. Don't worry too much. Whether he takes the ACT or the SAT, definitely try again. I strongly urge you to stay positive and encourage him.

HTH-

Mandy

Her SAT scores were about average but her trancript showed mostly A's and B's. She took CC classes in her Junior year and was had a 4.0 in them by the time she submitted her application. She took 7 more courses before she graduated and had a 3.0 GPA. I know they looked at her CC courses compared to her SAT and her transcript. They could see that she doesn't test well and that CC courses showed that she could do college level work. I'd say try the SAT again and perhaps the ACT if it is allowed at the colleges she wants to go to and then concentrate on those CC courses.