Menu

I think we lost our Who Hash...power out for 11 hours. I have to toss everything, right?

unsinkable

The fresh meat and perishables, right?

We kept the frig closed but when we opened it, it was about 45-46F but I don't know how long it was above 40F.

Fresh turkey, ground beef, chicken...all have to go, right?

What about bacon and fully cooked and sealed sausages?

We'll probably go to Denny's.

UPDATE: I did end up tossing the meat. I'd make a bad pioneer. :-(

I wouldn't.  I'd either cook it up very quickly or freeze it, and it would have to pass a smell test--but for 11 hours total with two quick door openings?  No, I wouldn't just assume that I'd have to throw all of that out.

I'm sorry.  What a unpleasant surprise.

(Merry Christmas!)

I would just cook the food asap.

I didnt open the door at all until the power was back on.

I think I'm too nervous to try to cook the fresh turkey. I feel like it isn't worth the risk.

and I have like 6 lbs of ground beef and 10 chicken breasts...

Thanks for the input.

I would cook everything and eat it today without a second thought. 

Thanks, I appreciate the answer.

I don't think I can do it, though. I'd be too worried I was making my family sick.

The dot gov websites say no longer than 2 hours over 40F...and I have no idea how long the frig was over 40F.

I didnt open the door at all until the power was back on.

I think I'm too nervous to try to cook the fresh turkey. I feel like it isn't worth the risk.

and I have like 6 lbs of ground beef and 10 chicken breasts...

I Always thaw my meat on counter/in sink. It goes into the oven at room temp. I wouldn't even think twice about cooking food from a cooler. But, it's your money and peace of mind.

I Always thaw my meat on counter/in sink. It goes into the oven at room temp. I wouldn't even think twice about cooking food from a cooler. But, it's your money and peace of mind.

I do this too.  In fact I'm making a standing rib roast today which will sit on the counter for at least an hour to come to room temp before it even goes in the oven.  I have yet to make anyone sick and/or kill anyone.

I'm so sorry! But hey! At least it was something out of your control! A few years ago, I got distracted while putting the turkey in, and set the oven too high, but set the timer correctly. I didn't notice until I smelled something burning. Ok. No problem. We still had veggies, so I laughed it off, and threw a frozen pizza in the oven for the "main dish." (Dd was 5 at the time, and we weren't having family in, so who cares, right?) Then I somehow managed to burn the frozen pizza. :o 

If you are anything like me, you'll worry yourself silly if you do go ahead and eat it, so I think I'd toss the turkey/chicken/beef. The highly processed and salted bacon and sausage, I'd probably go ahead and cook and eat.

I do this too.  In fact I'm making a standing rib roast today which will sit on the counter for at least an hour to come to room temp before it even goes in the oven.  I have yet to make anyone sick and/or kill anyone.

I let my steaks and meat I want to brown come to room temp to get a nice sear, too.

But that takes just a bit of time, depending on the house temp. It's not an unknown amount of hours.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm so sorry! But hey! At least it was something out of your control! A few years ago, I got distracted while putting the turkey in, and set the oven too high, but set the timer correctly. I didn't notice until I smelled something burning. Ok. No problem. We still had veggies, so I laughed it off, and threw a frozen pizza in the oven for the "main dish." (Dd was 5 at the time, and we weren't having family in, so who cares, right?) Then I somehow managed to burn the frozen pizza. :o

If you are anything like me, you'll worry yourself silly if you do go ahead and eat it, so I think I'd toss the turkey/chicken/beef. The highly processed and salted bacon and sausage, I'd probably go ahead and cook and eat.

The Christmas pizza! :D I'd still eat it...I like burned food. 

Thanks for the reply!

We've had quite a few Christmas meals delayed because of health issues. I think this is the first weather related one.

I'm kicking myself bc last night as we were driving home from family I was saying, "Where is this big storm? Where are the 60 mile an hour winds?" Well, it hit before we got in the driveway! The power went just when I got done wrapping and went to bed. That'll teach me to question the weather forecasters!