Menu

When did the movie "Secretariat" come out? Because I still love it ....

milovany

We watched it two nights ago and I was already teary at the opening scene.  I've seen this 5-6 times!  We've always liked sport themed movies, but this one just gets me.  I particularly enjoy the final race when Secretariat wins the Triple Crown -- usually in a sporty type movie, the last game/race/match is back-and-forth, back-and-forth until the final seconds/shot/stretch.  But in this one {SPOILER ALERT}, Red just goes whole hog from start to finish with never a doubt which horse would win the race.  It's also fun to go watch the real race youtube.

Not sure why I wanted to share that with you all, but there you go. 

One of my favorite sports heroes of all time. When I was a teen, I had three posters on my wall. Elvis, Bobby Sherman, and Secretariat. :)

I remember watching Red win those races on TV. I cried when he won the Belmont. You can find real footage of the races on YouTube.

My FAVORITE part of the movie is the 20 seconds of real Red during the credits. The actor horse wasn't nearly as wonderful as the real horse, but still a very nice movie.

One of my favorite sports heroes of all time. When I was a teen, I had three posters on my wall. Elvis, Bobby Sherman, and Secretariat. :)

I remember watching Red win those races on TV. I cried when he won the Belmont. You can find real footage of the races on YouTube.

My FAVORITE part of the movie is the 20 seconds of real Red during the credits. The actor horse wasn't nearly as wonderful as the real horse, but still a very nice movie.

LOVED Bobby Sherman!!!

usually in a sporty type movie, the last game/race/match is back-and-forth, back-and-forth until the final seconds/shot/stretch.  But in this one {SPOILER ALERT}, Red just goes whole hog from start to finish with never a doubt which horse would win the race.  It's also fun to go watch the real race youtube.

Well, I'd be pretty disappointed if the movie screwed up the history that badly.  He just goes and goes in the move because that was what really happened; it is what makes it legendary.  And just a bit of trivia.....Secretariat's heart was over 2x normal size and is generally considered the be the cause of his success.

Stefanie

Well, I'd be pretty disappointed if the movie screwed up the history that badly.  He just goes and goes in the move because that was what really happened....

Stefanie

I know, that's why I love it!  Usually they have to embellish the ending a little bit to make it more exciting, but this story handles it all on its own. 

Scout, there is nothing in Secretariat that wouldn't be appropriate for children.  We have kids of all ages, down to six now so four when this came out I think, and we've all watched it.  Oh, there's one scene at about maybe the midpoint or a little bit later where the trainer storms into a hotel room, mad, and says "butt" (I think) several times as he rants about another character, but that's it and it's SOOO not worth not watching the movie over.