Menu

Letter recognition... Would you be concerned?

Hi, This is my first time posting on this board, any insight would be appreciated.  I have four young kids -- the oldest is 6, the youngest will be 5 in February. (They are all adopted, so that's how they are so close in age.)

We do "Morning Time" together as a group, and then do letter/number work individually. My youngest son is totally not ready for any type of phonics/reading instruction (and that's completely fine with me -- he's 4). However, I am slightly concerned that he doesn't not recognize any letters except "A" (the first letter in his name), "O" and "X".  He watches Leapfrog Letter Factory and other alphabet videos. We play a lot of letter games, puzzles etc. but he still doesn't recognize the rest of the letters at all.

On the other hand, he can recite the Pledge of Allegiance, several Bible verses, all the names of the continents/oceans. He also knows more animal facts than any kid I've ever seen. He loves science and animals. He will listen to hours of read-alouds. He sleeps with his snake encyclopedia. He does basic addition (orally). He has a good pencil grip. He can copy his name, trace letters, etc.  He just doesn't recognize letters.

Would you be concerned at all?

Thanks.

Welcome!  Actually, in the long run you may very well be dealing with something that will need to be addressed directly, possibly with specialized tutoring or something, but the child is only 4 and adopted so personal circumstances of his early life may have slowed him down a bit in this area.  But he sounds very bright and capable.  Let him listen to audio books, read alouds and do lots of exploration like you already are.  Give him a bit more time.  In a year or so, if he is still struggling, you might consider getting an evaluation through a neuropsych or an edupsych.  In the meantime, do a lot of tactile.  Have him shape letters with clay or draw them in sand.  

Hopefully others will jump in with some additional suggestions, possibly from a BTDT perspective, that you might find more helpful.  In the meantime, hugs Mom.  Sounds like you are doing a great job!

:)

I would not worry yet, at all, but I would keep my eye on it.  

You might try to focus on one letter at a time for a while, or only a few letters.  You might try to focus on the first letters of sibling's names.  

But, I would really not worry yet.  

I also think, you could try to expand the kinds of games you play, if they are mostly visual.  Try to add in making letters, drawing letters in different places, and all those very tactile things.  

When it is just visual, and there are so many unknown letters vs. known letters, I think the unknown letters can blend together very easily.  And, there are so many of them 52 letters total, it sound like he knows capital and lowercase o and x, and capital A, so he has 47 to distinguish between.  It really is a lot of letters!  

But I think it is good to keep an eye on it and try to do some new things that might click better.... even though maybe, it is just an age thing.  But it could be a little of both.  And anyway -- if it is fun and pleasant, there is no harm to trying to add some more activities in that might click better.  

You could also look for more hands-on games with fewer letters.   Like -- you can play a game where you have letters on the wall, and he draws a letter, and has to race to the correct letter he sees on the wall.  It is fun, there are only a few letters to focus on, and there are lots of chances to say "you found the A!!!!" Or that might just be another very visual game, and he might do better with tracing.  

I liked the wooden letter forms that can come with Handwriting Without Tears -- so it is like kids are building the letters. I did not pay for them, though, I was able to borrow them.  I think they are an option that is pretty hands-on.  

There are ways to trace the letters, or write them very large.  Or use clay.  Or finger-write them on a soft blanket or nubby cushion.  If you google around -- you can find a lot of ideas for pre-school age kids, that are going to be fun, and also not expect the fine motor ability to use a pencil and write on paper.  I would try to be open and look at options, and try some that are messy or that do not appeal to you ----- I have found I have to look at things that do NOT appeal to me ---- visual things appeal to me, so I will naturally pick visual things, so part of what I do is think "what is the opposite of what I like" and "what are those kinds of activities that I have never cared for" and go out of my way to try them or do them ----- b/c those can be just the things my kids need, and also just the things I am not naturally drawn to providing.      

I think it is half, trying a lot of things and seeing if something seems to click more, and half, doing a variety of things and getting something from all of them.  

But I would try to look and see if all your things are just looking at the letters and not touching them or forming them, or if they are asked to recall the letter out of 47 options (if 47 are unknown).  I think it is easier for kids to just have to wonder which of 5 letters it is, and let them master those.  You can still expose to all the letters, but focus more on really working on a small number.  It might help.  If he is ready for handwriting -- that might help.  But I think that is very young to be ready for handwriting -- if he happens to be ready, I would do it.  If not -- there are a lot of ways to work, anyway.

But if he is just getting exposed -- that counts, too.  

Good luck :)

It may be that he's just not interested in letters, they're not exciting or intriguing for him. Many kids, especially boys, take to reading at an older age. I would, however, keep a close eye on his progress in this area, just in case he does turn out to be dyslexic.

My dd didn't catch on to reading in K, so I set it aside for a while and went back to it later. Even in 1st, she couldn't remember the phonics rules we had already covered from day to day. In 2nd, we worked through easy readers together, and she had to sound out "cat" every time she saw it, even in the same paragraph. I finally came across a list of dyslexia symptoms on Susan Barton's website which fit her exactly. We used an OG reading program, and she finally began to make progress.

I wish I would have looked into the possibility of an LD when she was 6 instead of 8-9. Everyone's assertion that she just needed more time and I should wait was actually detrimental.

Sounds like you have a very smart and curious guy who may just catch on to reading a bit later, he's still very young. Just keep these issues in the back of your mind and if he exhibits signs of dyslexia when he's six, please look into it.

Though something that can create confusion?

Is the concept of letters.

What is a 'G' ?

It is no more than a symbol that represents a sound.

It doesn't look like the sound?

Where sometimes children might not understand the idea of using symbols to represent certain sounds?

Thank you for all the valuable feedback. To answer one of the earlier questions -- adoptions from foster care. He's been with our family since around his 2nd birthday. Not to get into all the details, but his situation was physical abuse (he was beaten by his grandparents, after being removed from his neglectful mother and placed with them).

We do some tactile things in terms of the letters, but we'll start to do more. And honestly at this point I do think it's just a matter of him not being interested in letters. He's interested in a lot of things (mainly animals/science) but letters just aren't thrilling to him. Though it's hard not to worry, know what I mean?

Anyway, I really appreciate the comments. I was scared LOL to post here for some reason.

Thank you for all the valuable feedback. To answer one of the earlier questions -- adoptions from foster care. He's been with our family since around his 2nd birthday. Not to get into all the details, but his situation was physical abuse (he was beaten by his grandparents, after being removed from his neglectful mother and placed with them).

We do some tactile things in terms of the letters, but we'll start to do more. And honestly at this point I do think it's just a matter of him not being interested in letters. He's interested in a lot of things (mainly animals/science) but letters just aren't thrilling to him. Though it's hard not to worry, know what I mean?

Anyway, I really appreciate the comments. I was scared LOL to post here for some reason.

We are usually a VERY welcoming bunch.  And very understanding.  The LC board has gotten me through some rather dark and discouraging moments.  

You are always welcome here.  :)

I never simply taught the letters.  My DD watched some Leap Frog videos but learned her letters while learning the letter sounds.  I think at aged 4-5, I was scribing and we worked our way through the ETC Primers.  By aged 5.5, DD started mapping the sounds to the letters using the lower case alphabet.  In about three weeks, DD began reading CVC words and blends.  

As long as his speech is good, and he isn't showing any other issues, just keep an eye on him.  You could get his eyes checked.  When DD was 4 yo, we discovered an astigmatism with a rather large far-sightedness correction..

You mentioned that your little guy loves animals -- for now, do not be afraid to cater to his interests. My youngest loves animals, as well. We had tons of luck with the Zoo Phonics program (http://www.zoo-phonicsathome.com/) while he was in preschool. Perhaps your DS would be interested in learning more about letters if there is a healthy dose of animals as well? If not something like Zoo Phonics, there are a number of animal alphabet books out there to choose from. Best of luck! 

You mentioned that your little guy loves animals -- for now, do not be afraid to cater to his interests. My youngest loves animals, as well. We had tons of luck with the Zoo Phonics program (http://www.zoo-phonicsathome.com/) while he was in preschool. Perhaps your DS would be interested in learning more about letters if there is a healthy dose of animals as well? If not something like Zoo Phonics, there are a number of animal alphabet books out there to choose from. Best of luck! 

Or maybe even a book of alphabet snakes. So, G might be garter snake, and you can color the G in patterns and colors that a garter snake might have.

You've gotten great advice, so that's about all I have to add. I do recommend the vision screening. Get a good optometrist that is experienced with kids whatever you do! Make sure they dilate eyes, etc. We waited way too long (4 years old) to have my son's vision checked, and he's behind in his visual development. It's acuity-based, not a motor problem, and it could have been prevented. We thought 4 was just right, considering that many people make it to adulthood without a vision screening other than what the ped or school does. There are docs that specialize in infant vision screenings, believe it or not. In our state, it's called the InfantSEE program (http://www.infantsee.org/).

He's had his vision checked, and he's fine. My daughter has been in glasses since she was 2. So we have a good pediatric ophthalmologist, and all the kids have been screened.

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions.

Just be aware that most vision screenings are for visual acuity.  Most ophthalmologists and optometrists do not have the background knowledge or training to screen for developmental vision issues, which is a whole other kettle of fish.  In fact, many refuse to acknowledge that Developmental vision issues even exist, despite growing scientific evidence.

As an example, my son has passed every single vision screening he has ever had.  He has 20/15+ vision.  It is more than perfect.  And yet, there were things that seemed a bit odd.  The ladies on this board recommended I get a developmental vision screening through a developmental optometrist.  He is not listed with the COVD (which is the best resource for finding one), but he is respected in our area and I and other family members had already used him in the past.  When I asked for the specialized screening he did a whole different set of tests.  

DS has heterophoria.  One eye tends to track upward at certain times.  Not enough to notice unless you are looking for it.  It was the cause of his light sensitivity, many of his coordination issues, his eye fatigue.  And not one eye doctor caught it in 10 years until I started pressing for the developmental vision screening.  We did a limited form of VT, and it did help.  

There are several developmental vision issues that can occur.  Some are improved with Vision Therapy.  Some are not.  But normal eye doctors are usually not trained to know to look for these issues, much less how to deal with them.  Just something to keep in mind for the future.

Best wishes.... :)

Just be aware that most vision screenings are for visual acuity.  Most ophthalmologists and optometrists do not have the background knowledge or training to screen for developmental vision issues, which is a whole other kettle of fish.  In fact, many refuse to acknowledge that Developmental vision issues even exist, despite growing scientific evidence.

As an example, my son has passed every single vision screening he has ever had.  He has 20/15+ vision.  It is more than perfect.  And yet, there were things that seemed a bit odd.  The ladies on this board recommended I get a developmental vision screening through a developmental optometrist.  He is not listed with the COVD (which is the best resource for finding one), but he is respected in our area and I and other family members had already used him in the past.  When I asked for the specialized screening he did a whole different set of tests.  

DS has heterophoria.  One eye tends to track upward at certain times.  Not enough to notice unless you are looking for it.  It was the cause of his light sensitivity, many of his coordination issues, his eye fatigue.  And not one eye doctor caught it in 10 years until I started pressing for the developmental vision screening.  We did a limited form of VT, and it did help.  

There are several developmental vision issues that can occur.  Some are improved with Vision Therapy.  Some are not.  But normal eye doctors are usually not trained to know to look for these issues, much less how to deal with them.  Just something to keep in mind for the future.

Best wishes.... :)

Thanks. I'm aware of all that. The ophthalmologist we use does developmental vision screenings and Vision Therapy.  My daughter had sensory issues, vision problems, motor planning issues and other stuff, so we have been deep into different therapies etc since she was a baby. Thankfully, most of her problems are behind us and she's not even in any kind of therapy at this point (at 5).

Thanks. I'm aware of all that. The ophthalmologist we use does developmental vision screenings and Vision Therapy.  My daughter had sensory issues, vision problems, motor planning issues and other stuff, so we have been deep into different therapies etc since she was a baby. Thankfully, most of her problems are behind us and she's not even in any kind of therapy at this point (at 5).

Well that's good.  We weren't so lucky.  :)

I read an article about some research, which I'll post a link to if I can find it. It had found that for most children under age 5 work on rhyming, clapping out syllables and other such games is very helpful, but that many children are not yet brain ready for letters and phonics.

OTOH my ds was at a school that had a do not worry even at age 7 to 8 when this was not coming along, and that really is too late.

It sounds like for most kids, age 5 is about ideal for letters and phonics work, earlier than that is ideal for building phonological awareness.  I hope I am remembering that right.

If it helps, I believe that the article may have been from the Seattle Times from around September of this year, and reprinted in DANA Foundation's Brain in the News this month.