Menu

Recommend your favorite board games or card games for 8 year old

JRmommy

We have game night most Friday nights, and I'd like to add more to our collection.

My 8 year old son enjoys Monopoly, Mancala, Mastermind, Rat-A-Tat-Cat, Scrabble, Banagrams.

I know that there are so many out there that I haven't heard of yet. I'd also be interested in games he can play by himself. Thanks!

We like all the Gamewright Games at that age. So not only Rat-a-Tat-Cat, but Zeus on the Loose, Forbidden Island, etc. And bonus - they're cheap.

For games he can play alone, look at Think Fun, especially Rush Hour.

After that, we like a lot of the strategy games and most 8 yos can start to enjoy them. Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Small World, etc. We have a couple of new to us ones that we really like - The Builders and Splendor.

We also really like party games like Apples to Apples and Say Anything. Both are really fun in a group. Also, for a twist on that, we love Dix It, which is beautiful with lovely artwork.

One more suggestion, which is Timeline. A great little game with lots of expansions that teaches history. If you want to have an even playing field against your kid, get the inventions or discoveries pack (they're hard). If you want to teach history with it, get the historic events one (you can even the field by taking more cards for yourself at the start). They also make Cardline, which is similar but for facts about animals and geography.