Menu

You know you are getting older when: (and a question about men's pants)

DawnM

time doesn't seem to move at the same speed.

I had to laugh.  DH needs new clothes and we plan to have a large shopping spree to basically buy him a new work wardrobe (he can wear khaki type pants for business casual.)

He kept saying, "No more Dockers.  They aren't made the way they used to be made.  They fall apart within a couple of years."

I kept thinking, " I didn't know he had bought any in the last two years."

Finally I asked him what Dockers he was talking about.......turns out we bought them over 6 years ago and he has worn the same 6 pair every day for 6 years.  I remember clearly because I bought them for him and made him go try them on before buying and they and a special deal where you buy Dockers and get Shell gas cards.  That deal was in 2008.  

I would say one pair per year if you wear them literally daily, is pretty good.   :laugh:

However, if anyone has any suggestions on any make of casual pants like Dockers that are made better than Dockers, please let me know.  I am happy to spend a bit more if they will last longer with heavy use.

We have tried a few other brands in the past:  Haggar, Lands End, and a few others, but we typically just get Dockers.

Dawn

Carhartt Men's Twill Work Pants - they come in a variety of colors and last even longer than those Dockers did. My husband is really rough on his pants, and these are the only ones that seem to hold up under his abuse.

ETA: they are quite dressy looking; he not only wears them when he helps people move or climbs fences and chases after lost dogs, he also wears them to preach on Sunday mornings.

Your dh had 6 pairs of pants at one time??!!  LOL  That's what I took from this post.  :P 

Dh only buys clothes when I make him and shop with him.  I consider it a win if he doesn't wear out a pair of pants within a year, but that's because he's wearing the same 1-2 pair every day to work!

Your dh had 6 pairs of pants at one time??!!  LOL  That's what I took from this post.  :p

Dh only buys clothes when I make him and shop with him.  I consider it a win if he doesn't wear out a pair of pants within a year, but that's because he's wearing the same 1-2 pair every day to work!

That's what I was thinking! 6 pair of pants! Dh has two and he thinks that's twice as many as he needs. He changes into sweatpants when he's just hanging out at the house but he sure gets his money's worth out of his work pants. 

Fun fact: Our younger two kids are 20 and 22 and have never seen their father wear a pair of jeans. Hasn't owned any since 1990. 

Your dh had 6 pairs of pants at one time??!!  LOL  That's what I took from this post.  :p

My dh, too! Doesn't matter what the clothing item is, either. Pants, shoes, athletic clothing. He CAN buy his own socks and underwear, though, so that's a bonus. ;)

My DH will buy his own clothes, but he's so gosh darn cheap when it comes to spending money on himself that he's better off waiting for me to shop for or with him. He's always so amazed at how comfortable his socks/underwear/jeans are when I buy. Well um, that's because I'll spend more than $2 on socks and $20 on jeans! :)

:iagree: Six years of wear is pretty good imo.  Kohls has a good sale going on right now for the Dockers.  If you order be sure to use the 15% off coupon and enjoy the $15 Kohl's cash for every $50  you spend.  I stocked up hubby with a new batch this weekend (His office is doing more bus/cas days) and we both love the no-iron, long wear of Dockers. 

Is there a place to see them in person?

DH is a bit picky on texture.  

Carhartt Men's Twill Work Pants - they come in a variety of colors and last even longer than those Dockers did. My husband is really rough on his pants, and these are the only ones that seem to hold up under his abuse.

ETA: they are quite dressy looking; he not only wears them when he helps people move or climbs fences and chases after lost dogs, he also wears them to preach on Sunday mornings.

HE DID!!!!

Because Shell Gas company was offering a $75 gift card for every $100 in Docker's purchase!

He bought over $200 in Dockers (roughly 6 pair) and we got $150 in gas cards!

Yes, DH is cheap.......but even he agreed that was a fantastic deal!

Dh used to exclusively buy Dockers. Levi Strauss was the last major clothing manufacturer to manufacture exclusively in the US. they started moving operations out of the country in the 1990s. I think they are completely out of the U.S. now. Anyway it appears they have not managed quality control well recently. Dh has two pairs of Dockers he purchased a year ago that basically fell apart. Dh says he will not buy Dockers again.

Just a heads up that the pants you bought 6 years ago may not be the same quality as what is available today.