Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW48

Robin M

These look like fun gifts for others or yourself ~

A collection of beautifully designed temporary literary tattoos.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for this link, Kareni. Ds and I had a lot of fun looking at the t-shirts from the same site that contain about 40,000 words of text from a work of classical literature printed on the shirt along with a lovely image from the book. He particularly liked this one. Onto the Xmas list it goes :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ds and I had a lot of fun looking at the t-shirts from the same site that contain about 40,000 words of text from a work of classical literature printed on the shirt along with a lovely image from the book. He particularly liked this one. Onto the Xmas list it goes :D

Shukriyya, that is a nifty t-shirt, indeed!  Now I'll be spending some more time on the site ....

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for this link, Kareni. Ds and I had a lot of fun looking at the t-shirts from the same site that contain about 40,000 words of text from a work of classical literature printed on the shirt along with a lovely image from the book. He particularly liked this one. Onto the Xmas list it goes :D

Those shirts also come in a women's cut.  Seriously considering buying one for myself!

neat site. Bookmarked for myself. I like the don Quixote shirt.

Hi Everyone! Hope you guys are having a good holiday weekend. We went shopping at the mall today because advertising was mentioning Black Friday and wanted to compare it to US. It wasn't much, no deep discounts found other than on TV'S. As we walked by North Face we noticed they had the same super sale they had two weeks ago when I was shopping for a coat. :( Pretty much the same all over. Ran in to some neighbours who thought they had done really well so to the uninitiated it seemed great apparently, but to someone who once bought a kitchen aid stand mixer for $88 the deals were sadly missing. Think it is in the eye of the shopper. Dh who is the pro deal shopper in our family came home rather unfulfilled. :lol:

I did finish Darling Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt yesterday. Possibly the best one out of the ones I have read in the Maiden Lane series so far.

I also finished off Charlaine Harris' Harper Connelly series. The last book was good just not what I was expecting. I am still a bit shocked that the author maneged to tie up so many bits so well from other books and still have a new story. I enjoyed the series and had wondered why no new ones for awhile and now I get it, completed!

BaWers, I need some suggestions, please.

In addition to military history (which you've already given me suggestions for), my dad really loves British (cozy, I guess) mysteries. I think he's read a lot of the more famous ones. Any off-the-beaten-track ones that you can recommend?

Thanks!

In addition to military history (which you've already given me suggestions for), my dad really loves British (cozy, I guess) mysteries. I think he's read a lot of the more famous ones. Any off-the-beaten-track ones that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Give me a couple of examples of what he likes. Preferably a couple favourite authors that aren't super common. As you know I read these but what you don't know is I now have access to a service through my library stuff that compares authors and offers suggestions. I played with it for a few minutes the other night and it seemed accurate, paid subscription. I will give it a try and try to come up with something good.

If anyone else wants me to hunt for a suggestion I am willing. Good practice.

... my dad really loves British (cozy, I guess) mysteries.

Here's a list that might be of interest:

English Village Cozy Mysteries

and a discussion from one of the Amazon customer boards which has many recommendations:

Looking for British Cozy Mysteries

and a discussion from the UK Amazon board with the appropriate British spelling:

British Cosy Mysteries

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks!

Not cozy but very interesting and well written.

Julian Kestrel by Kate Ross

I've really loved the Inspector Banks mysteries by Peter Robinson which are set in Yorkshire.  They can get a bit grim, at least the crimes are grim and brutal, but the recurring characters are engaging.  I also have enjoyed the series by Peter Lovesey about an inspector named Peter Diamond, which are set in Bath.  Both were recommendations by Jane!

The mystery series set in Quebec by Louise Penny, featuring Inspector Gamache, is also excellent.  I've especially enjoyed those recently.  Many of the books are set in a small town filled with all sorts of colorful characters, though I doubt any small community would have that many murders over a span of so few years!  

The mystery series set in Quebec by Louise Penny, featuring Inspector Gamache, is also excellent. I've especially enjoyed those recently. Many of the books are set in a small town filled with all sorts of colorful characters, though I doubt any small community would have that many murders over a span of so few years!

I've got a couple of these in my kindle library awaiting my lens. Quebec was a frequent place to visit and explore when I was growing up in Canada. Montreal was only a two hour coach ride away and closer to home were lovely lakes, cafes and bakeries and country rambles.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I've been enjoying the holiday with family.  And eating WAY too much yummy food!

I finished #53 Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer before I left.  It was a good Heyer.  I was totally surprised by the turn it took.  I was sure I had it figured out and then she totally went a different way.  But I like it when that happens!  The book was more of a mystery than any of the other books I've read by her.  

Well that was a pretty boring review but I'm finding it difficult to concentrate with 9 other people in the house and 2 or 3 other conversations going on  :lol:

Is Robin MIA today?  I can't find the new thread.

Um ... nevermind ... too much turkey or good cheer or something ... it's Saturday ...

:ph34r:

Thank goodness. I thought I lost a day all of a sudden. 

It is a rainy day here. Sort of a blustery winnie the pooh day with leaves blowing all over.  Just finished writing tomorrow's post and came across this on flavorwire:

Enter Winter:  10 Poems for the end of autumn

And I just got an email from Powells - Their Our favorite new favorites for 2014.  More books to add to wishlist.

I'm reading the 4th book in Dean Koontz Frankenstein series - Lost Souls.  He mixes in enough comedy with the suspense to keep it from being a spine tingling read. 

He likes:

Martha Grimes

P. D. James

Ruth Rendell

Deborah Crombie

Agatha Cristie

M. C. Beaton

Yes, he might also like the Alan Furst novels.

Thanks!

Today was officially hectic. It started slow with me getting some author research done then wham running all over the place. First, I have read all the authors everyone else has listed and enjoyed all.

The new authors that appeared multiple times are:

Morag Joss who I am completely unfamiliar with but personally like the looks of. Probably will request one of hers soon.

Ake Edwardson who I had already marked as a want to read. His book series takes place in Sweden and London apparently. Personally curious because ds wants to live in Sweden someday. ;)

Gilbert Adair sounds entertaining. Another one to try.....

Catherine Aird, who I have actually read some of hers. Really enjoyed Relgious Body and Henrietta Who but gave the others 2 and 3 stars. They were short so I finished them......

James Anderson.....looked interesting

Patricia Harwin, I want to start with Arson and Old Lace.

Susan Hill, The Various Haunts of Man is the one that I picked of hers.

Dorothy Sayers, I have read most of hers. Relieved that she appeared on the multiple list.

As you can tell I have had fun with this project! My hold list has increased greatly which will be good for the library statistics. I have been slacking lately. ;( I have a huge list of other single appearance authors to reseach since I have enjoyed at least one book by your dad's favorites and this website seems to be recommending lots of new to me authors. Stacia, you seem to have lengthened my list which is good, I think. :lol:

Stacia - If he likes Dorothy Sayers, he might like Michael Innes and Ngaio Marsh.  My mother's collection of mysteries consists of D.S., M.I., N. M., Margery Allingham, Rex Stout, and Dick Francis (horses).  She is reading the Beaton mysteries and enjoying them, now, although she likes Hamish McBeth much better than Agatha Raisin.  Agatha Raisin is a bit more caustic.  For some reason, I haven't read any of the Allingham's, Stout's, or Francis's.  The other three, my mother insisted I read.  (She was right - I liked them very much.)  She has a bunch of Agatha Christie's, too, but for some reason, my family thinks of them as "younger" books.  Anyway, my Mum's list might give you some things to try. : )

Nan

Stacia, not British cozies but compelling nonetheless with some texture and fun, the Janwillem de Wetering series that begins with Outsider in Amsterdam. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these when I read them a decade or two ago.

I have been meaning to reread these for a couple of decades.

The Judge Dee mysteries by Van Gulik are also very good.

And, since we're talking book gifting, I thought you gals might like knowing what book goodies I decided to get for my sister this year. (Shhh. Don't tell!)

51RcmcVZ3LL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg     and51CdQ2Q0%2BeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

God's Gift: Over 100 Studs, Stallions and Dreamboats from the 70s and 80s

:lol:

(ETA: P.S. Amy, I don't know if Paul Hogan makes an appearance in the God's Gift book, but if he does, I'll be sure to let you know! :laugh: )

Hello fellow BAW'ers. I've been missing for awhile, but still trying to read through the threads. Life has thrown some curve balls and that has interrupted internet time and reading time. I love all of the book suggestions and my book pile keeps growing.  Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I hope the curves were good ones--if not, hoping for a better 2015.

Thanksgiving was a blast for me this year.  Young children added noise and excitement, making an otherwise staid holiday quite festive.

Lagging on my reading too.  :leaving:

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone!  I just wanted to give you all a quick update as I'm on a marathon sprint from now until mid January.  I did go the the Nanowrimo retreat and was a true rebel by quilting the entire time instead of writing.  The writers were still glad to have me around and it was a relaxing North woods weekend.  The graduation quilt may actually be finished by the time my niece graduates.  I also made it through Bach's Chaccone for violin 100Xs which is a big deal for me as I don't commit to songs since I perform so seldom.  I'm guessing it will be 1000xs before this one is performance ready and I love the piece enough to work towards that goal.

Reading wise I finished "My Antonia" and have yet to boil a cucumber in milk as the characters do.  I am now reading Medea, Frederick Douglas's autobiography and an intimidating Acts study that was lent to me by a friend.

Here's Julia Fischer's version of the chaconne:

Part 2: