Menu

Need feedback on dd8's writing

My reluctant almost-8yo has done similar.  She would moan and groan and run away at the suggestion of a writing assignment.  But she has started to get the spark for writing on her own.

She likes to just write a stream of ideas without too much attention to mechanics.  It ends up being one sentence per paragraph ;) but I try to be gentle about it, because I'd rather she enjoy writing than the alternative.

Hi

My dd8 has always been a reluctant writer, mainly because of her intense dislike for putting pencil to paper. 

For my dd, who was like that till age 12, it turned out to be a combo of developmental vision problems, OT issues (her hand hurt), low processing speed (couldn't write fast enough to keep up with her thoughts), and poor working memory (couldn't hold her thoughts and motor plan the writing and...).  We ended up doing therapies (VT, OT, hack version of IM at home for free) and her writing turned around.  I also taught her to type.  She couldn't progress with QWERTY, so we moved to another keyboard layout (Dvorak).  After all that, she blossomed and started entering writing contests and writing prolifically.  :D

If the child is having physical pain with writing or abnormally reluctant, I would definitely look for underlying causes.

She's well on her way to becoming a writer. She's having her own ideas, getting them down on paper, seeing areas where she needs to improve, using what she has learned to improve that writing (and accepting help from you in that department!-good job, editor!) AND she is setting aside time to work daily on her writing.

Awesome!

You might start her on some character work if she'd like as part of formal writing, take some literature in the genre she is working on and discuss how plot works, etc. I'd start with character. Fun!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement!

For my dd, who was like that till age 12, it turned out to be a combo of developmental vision problems, OT issues (her hand hurt), low processing speed (couldn't write fast enough to keep up with her thoughts), and poor working memory (couldn't hold her thoughts and motor plan the writing and...).  We ended up doing therapies (VT, OT, hack version of IM at home for free) and her writing turned around.  I also taught her to type.  She couldn't progress with QWERTY, so we moved to another keyboard layout (Dvorak).  After all that, she blossomed and started entering writing contests and writing prolifically.  :D

If the child is having physical pain with writing or abnormally reluctant, I would definitely look for underlying causes.

I have thought about this in the past, but have eliminated it as a possibility. She wasn't "ready" to write as early as some, but nothing was wrong. She's much happier holding a pencil now. I came to this conclusion when I observed her embroidering, doing all sorts of things that require fine motor control, and also seeing her ability to sustain writing as she gets older. '

She's well on her way to becoming a writer. She's having her own ideas, getting them down on paper, seeing areas where she needs to improve, using what she has learned to improve that writing (and accepting help from you in that department!-good job, editor!) AND she is setting aside time to work daily on her writing.

Awesome!

You might start her on some character work if she'd like as part of formal writing, take some literature in the genre she is working on and discuss how plot works, etc. I'd start with character. Fun!

Any ideas on curricula to support this? Guidelines?

She's at a great age for Writing Magic. Cheap, fun, easy, and you can fit it in whenever.

Great job, Mom and dd!

Thanks! I must mainly attribute it to her. I have read to her every day since birth, so I know that helped in that she knows what good writing sounds like. But I have pulled my hair out on numerous occasions about her writing. I have been in a panic many times over it, thinking about how on earth she'd do if I had to put her in school. I am thankful that it's all coming together. It's so funny to see my little one, who LOVES to hold a pencil. Oldest has always had to wait for her own time to do things though: she would not take one step alone as a toddler until she was ready to, at nearly 18 months old, walk across the room for her first steps.

:hurray: 100% beyond fine.

Here's my only caution... She may get tired of it and not want to finish it at some point. If she stays engaged, then wow, awesome, just keep it going. But if she doesn't, don't despair! And don't think it was a failure. She got fluency skills and worked on editing and ideas and sentences and plot and so forth and enjoyed writing. So don't do more than a gentle push to get her back into it. I feel like this is what you keep a writing program or some writing ideas around for - when they're not working on anything. And then if she becomes re-engaged on this or a new project, then you back off with the formal instruction and keep supporting her in just the way you're doing now.

It's so funny to see my little one, who LOVES to hold a pencil. 

:001_cool:  Yep. Eldest was/is pencil-phobic. Dd#2 seems like she was born with a pencil in her hand. (Ouch!)

She's my writer/illustrator.

Weirdest thing ever the differences between those two.