Menu

GF stuffing - anyone figure out to make this and have it taste good?

Nemom

I really miss stuffing since going GF five years ago. I've tried using homemade GF bread and store bought GF bread. I can't seem to get it right. (I made awesome stuffing before going GF so it's not necessarily the cook. ;-))

Has anyone found a way to make good, non-soggy GF stuffing? I would prefer store bought bread just to save on time.

:bigear:

This is my first Thanksgiving GF. I usually make homemade cornbread for my stuffing, so I think GF flour can sub. I have to decide if I am cheating with the corn since I severely limit it. I have my pinterest stuffed with options but haven't made any to test.

My original recipe doesn't have bread "cubes" it is mushy, you just bake until its crispy on top. Also, it might help to dry out the GF bread before making the stuffing.

Glutino has an okay-tasting GF cornbread stuffing and I've found that baking it separately from the bird in a casserole dish helps with the texture.

I just bought that at Target a few weeks ago. We really liked, though I added lots of sautéed onion and celery and used homemade turkey broth.

Not sure if it's going to be good or not, but I just bought Trader Joe's GF stuffing mix. :)

Need to do a test-run before Thanksgiving.

Made the long trek to the other side of town today just for Trader Joe's stuffing. Gone. The clerk told me that it didn't even last two weeks and the supplier does not have anymore. I was so looking forward to stuffing this weekend...

ADDING: I am remembering how I make my homemade cornbread stuffing (I only make it once a year). I make my homemade cornbread (GF flour this year) and add onion powder, more salt, sage. And bake it WAY OVER the time it says to. Until the top is brown, but not burnt. In others words, to dry it out as much as possible. Then I proceed with my recipe which is basically broth, celery, onions, more sage (fresh cut up). I am using a small amount of ghee this year, and olive oil, replacing the butter (we are dairy free as well). I bake it uncovered until its crispy on top, which is again, longer than the recipe states. It still is a bit mushy, but we like it that way.

Good luck to all of you!

I use Udi's or Rudi's bread - dry it out in the oven and then crumble (or put in a bag and hit it with the meat tenderizer a few times). I sauté onions and celery, add them to the crumbs with seasoning (can't remember exactly what, but I know it includes salt, pepper, and sage) with chicken broth and bake. I keep mine covered but make sure it doesn't get too soggy. We don't like it dry, but prefer it not to be mush also. ;)