Menu

Advice re: dentist

sbgrace

I saw a new dentist today. I was told I have a small cavity (not visible on x-ray, a catchy spot with the metal exam thing). They made an appt. to fill it next week. I asked if we could wait and see. He said it would just be a bigger cavity in 6 months.

My history makes me feel uncertain, which is why I'd like input re: fill this thing or move on to another dentist.

I had no cavities growing up.

Hubby and I got married. The two years we lived in our first apartment, I had at least one cavity every time I saw the dentist. I have 8 fillings from those two years.

We moved to new town where we lived for the next 16 years. I never had a single cavity. I asked the dentist eventually, and he said something about some people fill things that aren't, in his mind, cavities. I last saw him a little over 6 months ago.

This is my fist dental visit in our new town, and now I have a cavity. It leaves me wondering if whatever it is would actually progress, and what my previous dentist would say.

Should I keep the appt to fill?

You are free to wait and see.  I think seeing one cavity doesn't sound too quacky though.  If he said half your mouth was filled with cavities, then run.  That's what happened to my husband.  He went to a dentist and they claimed he had all kinds of cavities.  He too never had any ever.  So I told him to get a second opinion because of course that's nuts.  The second guy told him his teeth look great.  He's been going to him since (for years now) and so far no issues at all.

Personally I prefer a conservative dentist.  DH didn't see a conservative dentist for many years (despite my pleading).  She filled every small "cavity" she could, now he's looking at crowns for many of his teeth because there isn't enough tooth left to fill.  Often small "cavities", especially those that don't show on x-ray can be corrected with fluoride, or can remain small for years.  I have one tooth that has been on a watch for two years now without change or the need for a filling and one that was recently taken off watch.

If your gut says to get a second opinion I would get one, and look for a conservative dentist.

A soft spot in the enamel that " catches" the pick is not a cavity. It will be, though, if you don't take care to treat it. Double up on the brushing and flossing. Cut back on sugar.

Id probably do the above and switch dentists next time you are due. My kids' dentist always wants to fill soft spots. I just nod my head and ignore them. I'd switch but the kids are comfortable there.

You are free to wait and see.  I think seeing one cavity doesn't sound too quacky though.  If he said half your mouth was filled with cavities, then run.  That's what happened to my husband.  He went to a dentist and they claimed he had all kinds of cavities.  He too never had any ever.  So I told him to get a second opinion because of course that's nuts.  The second guy told him his teeth look great.  He's been going to him since (for years now) and so far no issues at all.

Shoot, this was also my experience with a dentist!  I had one on my first visit find not only EVERY childhood filling need replacing, but also gum disease, a few crowns needed, etc.  While I did let him replace one of the oldest fillings, I also asked around and found a better dentist to switch to...and he said my teeth and gums were fine.  This was over 20 years ago...since then I have had a couple older fillings need replacing (some with crowns) but no gum disease amd not nearly as much work as doofus dentist number one tried to do.

That said, I have had our current dentist from time to time point out small cavities that could wait...but would be best to catch now before they got bigger. I think your current dentist is being conservative and careful to save you a bigger job later.

You could just not go back to the dentist for 6 months and see at your next check up.  I mean, it's not going to become a crater in 6 months, you know?

I saw a new dentist today. I was told I have a small cavity (not visible on x-ray, a catchy spot with the metal exam thing). They made an appt. to fill it next week. I asked if we could wait and see. He said it would just be a bigger cavity in 6 months.

My history makes me feel uncertain, which is why I'd like input re: fill this thing or move on to another dentist.

I had no cavities growing up.

Hubby and I got married. The two years we lived in our first apartment, I had at least one cavity every time I saw the dentist. I have 8 fillings from those two years.

We moved to new town where we lived for the next 16 years. I never had a single cavity. I asked the dentist eventually, and he said something about some people fill things that aren't, in his mind, cavities. I last saw him a little over 6 months ago.

This is my fist dental visit in our new town, and now I have a cavity. It leaves me wondering if whatever it is would actually progress, and what my previous dentist would say.

Should I keep the appt to fill?

A soft spot in the enamel that " catches" the pick is not a cavity. It will be, though, if you don't take care to treat it. Double up on the brushing and flossing. Cut back on sugar.

Id probably do the above and switch dentists next time you are due. My kids' dentist always wants to fill soft spots. I just nod my head and ignore them. I'd switch but the kids are comfortable there.

:iagree:

Thank you guys. Hubby thinks I should just fill it, and I agree if it's something that will progress. But I'm just not sure it's going to get worse.

As someone who worries about things and tends to obsess about them a lot, I say that if it would ease your mind to just go ahead and be done with it, then get it filled.  If you go back again and there's another surprise cavity, then I would become suspicious.  That's just me though...to have the peace of mind knowing I don't have to think about it anymore or worry about it becoming worse ("was that a twinge of pain? or my imagination???") would be worth just getting it filled.

~Nicole

Guest submarines

Many of my tiny cavities disappeared. My dentist tells me that our enamel goes through stages, depending even on our cycle. Get xylitol gum / plan xylitol "sugar" and rinse your mouth instead of mouthwash.

10 years ago a dentist told me I had a small cavity and wanted to fill it. I was skeptical because the X-ray didn't show anything, and I'd never had a cavity before, so I volunteered for another X-ray and checkup at a dental school. Neither the student nor his professor thought there was a problem and also were a bit skeptical about the cavity detection device. I didn't get it filled and have been to many dentists in different states and countries since then and no one has ever mentioned it again. And I've still never had a cavity.

Read about teeth demineralizing and remineralizing. Before a cavity starts, the spot on the tooth starts to demineralize. If you cut the carbs and improve dental hygiene, it can start to remineralize from the calcium and minerals in your saliva. Some dentists are aggressive and assume all these spots will turn into cavities and pester you to fill them. More conservative dentists will put a watch on the tooth because they may take years to turn into cavities or they may remineralize and be fine. It sounds like this new dentist is on the more aggressive side. I personally wouldn't have it filled.