Menu

s/o - completely cleaned kitchen countertops - want to try??

FriedClams

OK, we make our own rules here, so let's make this challenge our own.

Let's reduce the clutter on the counters. Maybe a before and after pic? Two weeks for the challenge...

Anyone in? What will your parameters be?

I'm in. I have a counter with ONLY small appliances, so that's staying. Then my main counter... junk fest. Horrid. Cluttery. And the top of my fridge. I am attacking those two areas. I'll try and post a before later. It's scary. (shudder).

Here's the original thread and the link the the article.. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/533423-could-you-live-this-way-completely-cleaned-kitchen-countertops/

C'mon. Misery loves company.

I cleared off my counter tops and I have just the coffee maker on one, toaster on the other  I use those daily and have no room to store either.  My canisters that have coffe, sugar etc on the other counter, I bake often so I like to have what I need within reach.

After reading the other thread, I went to make lunch for myself. Hmmmmm....there's a few more items on the counter than I remembered. :)

I've already started (last week) decluttering some cabinets. If I continue I can probably get the coffee grinder, dog biscuit box, and a couple of boxes of freezer bags put elsewhere.

My goal is not empty counters (shudder) but graceful, lovely, and very workable space.

I just finished clearing mine. And scrubbing them.

I do have a couple of items that live on the counters and will be staying-microwave, cake stand with dish washing implements. coffee pot and crock pot and a tray of small items live on a top shelf full time, about counter height. That's it. 

There is a lingering bird house that will be finding a hook in another couple of days. 

D just finished read resealing the drippy sink pipes. Once we get that cleaned out and painted, I might move some stuff under there to free up a bit more space.

I ended up cleaning the fridge...that did need to be done. Dh even noticed when he came home...I am now down to one ketchup bottle and two mustard bottles...No, you don't want to know how many were open hiding in various spots. Wish I could teach everyone to put it back from where they got it, and stop opening a new one everytime you can't find it in the fridge in two seconds!

Wow!! :-) I cleaned off some stuff!!! It looks a million times better!!

Removed:

Box of dh's junk

7 cookbooks

Keurig machine

Soda stream machine and 2 flavors

Junk bucket

Change bucket

Fruit bowl

Empty fruit holders, yup, 2 of them

Hand soap and lotion, and holder

(Seriously, I sound like a hoarder...)

Left:

Radio

Dish soap

Essential oil diffuser

Hot water heater

Plaque (we use it for scripture and notes)

I have a few things that will stay - large toaster oven, kitchen aid, monitor, but there is stuff I will put away.

(empty) cookie jar, fruit bowl - maybe. 

I've had one thing on the counter that we just dont' use much anymore, and that thread did prompt me to take it away.  I also put away my scale, and the blender is going somewhere else.  (dh will buy new kitchen stuff - and keep the old stuff.)

I do have one counter next to my phone - that is something of a junk pile - and that I would love to get cleaned off, so this will be a motivation for me.

I went in and cleared off the things that don't belong there that had migrated there. Could someone explain why DH can't put his phone charger back in his drawer when he unplugs the phone?

I keep my counters pretty bare, and I don't intend to move off any of the things I do keep there, but I'm up for being more diligent about not letting other things stay there! I intend to keep a curvy, kind of sculptural wine rack (on an otherwise-unused section of counter), my phone-docking station for music (back in the corner, out of the way), a crock of cooking utensils, a fruit bowl, and a small tray with two pie pumpkins on it. That sounds like a lot, but it still gives me about 15 feet of open counter.