Menu

If I Can't Have Wine...

beaners

What is the best way to kill some anxiety? It's not major anxiety, just that can't quite relax, restless, sort of jumpy feeling. Almost like I drank coffee too close to bedtime? Typically I'd share a good meal and glass or two of wine with my husband, and the feeling would be gone for a long time. I can't drink alcohol right now though, and I need something that doesn't feel like work. I love yoga, but I just don't have the energy when I've finally gotten 8 kids into bed, you know? I'm drinking a mug of tea right now and it isn't quite getting the job done. 

I don't drink. So, I can't speak to the comparative effects, but the thing that works best for me when I'm stressed is to turn on some classical music -- Vivaldi's lute concertos are my favorites -- and lie down somewhere dark and quiet. I close my eyes and just listen to the music and focus on relaxing each of my limbs, one muscle at a time. 

For some reason, this often works best for me if I lie down propped up with a bunch of pillows on the floor, rather than in bed or on the couch or anywhere "normal."

For me it's about distracting my mind. Wine makes everything a little more fuzzy, so, yeah, that works (though since we don't keep alcohol in the house, that's not my go to solution), but usually I either play a mindless repetitive game like a sudoku or Bejeweled kind of thing for a little while or I reread a book, something I know really, really well. Rereading books really helps me unwind.

I lay with my legs up the wall (so I'm on the floor, my rear end is against the wall and the legs are up the wall) and focus on breathing.  I do a 4 count breath in, and then an 8 count out.  You want the exhale to be slower than the inhale, it helps calm your system.  I also enjoy listening to meditation music, which I listen to on Pandora.  I especially love Damien Rose.  His music is just Tibetan singing bowls.  I find it very relaxing.  

And,  :grouphug: .  I hate when I feel like that.