Menu

Once you've lost weight

Truscifi

You may just have to learn to live with it. My youngest is 5, the baby weight finally started coming off after his first birthday, and while I've been able to keep it off for several years now, AND do quite a bit of weight training, I still have that lose skin around the belly, and a bit of a "baby bump". (not noticeable to most people, but I see it when I'm undressed, and some styles of clothing make it more obvious, so I just avoid those styles)

Bearing children leaves behind permanent changes to our bodies, so I've learned to just embrace them and focus on maintaining my health, and finding the styles of clothing that make it look good. :)

I do 350 crunches every other day.  I did not start there - I started at only 25 - but it is greatly helping pull in my baby skin.  I couple them with drinking two smoothies a day instead of breakfast and lunch. I snack on hummus, veggie sticks, a cheese stick here or there, beans and chips, and various other healthy munchables.  Dinner is the same as always. 

Getting healthy and losing my baby weight was the first step, but toning up in the last year or so has finally given me the feeling of being proud of my body again.  the crutches are really therapeutic for me.  Some women lift, some run, I crunch. Good Luck!

The loose skin is easy to hide. Most of me is fairly toned. I look pretty good in clothes. ;)  My upper arms and thighs are still a bit jiggly, but they are getting better every day. The only thing that hasn't improved at all is the loose skin on my stomach.

I suppose I should just get over it, but it bothers me. And we were doing partner burpees at my kickboxing class the other day (possibly the most horrible and torturous exercise ever created) and my shirt kept riding up. I felt very self conscious, to the point that I apologized to my partner about it. :(

Anyway, what sort of strength training? Weights? Should I target the area? How does that work with weights? And what is dry brushing? I've never heard of it.

Anyway, what sort of strength training? Weights? Should I target the area? How does that work with weights? And what is dry brushing? I've never heard of it.

whatever sort you do - you want to work ALL of the core muscles.  there are five sets of muscles in the abdominal wall. (if you include the side muscles, which also need to be worked, there are even more.)

the muscles act like a corset around your internal organs and hold them in proper place.  having those muscles in shape - should also improve function.

whatever sort you do - you want to work ALL of the core muscles.  there are five sets of muscles in the abdominal wall. (if you include the side muscles, which also need to be worked, there are even more.)

the muscles act like a corset around your internal organs and hold them in proper place.  having those muscles in shape - should also improve function.

A quick google came up with this. Is that the kind of thing you are talking about? I already do leg raises and v-up crunches twice a week or so. I can pretty easily add in the others.

Seven children and being 51 have left my middle wrinkly even though it is toned and a not large waist. I just never wear a midriff baring top;-). Seriously at a certain point you figure the kids were worth it and move on.

:iagree:  :hurray:

And I agree with Alley. Why don't we have a "love" button?

I'm 5'9" and currently 126lbs.  I (used to ) run, I do kettlebell, and yoga, but my mid section will always be saggy and  I will never get rid of my stretch marks. 5 pregnancies (and I gained a lot each pregnancy) took its toll. 

You may be able to help with some of the loose skin by weight training, but I wouldn't count on it.  

There is always surgery. Time can take care of some of it, but that really depends on your age. Gaining the weight back will make the sag disappear... But no amount of weight training is going to tighten skin (unless you bulk up under it which will only work if it isn't all that much, and stomach muscles don't really seem to bulk very much!). This is one of those undiscussed problems of weight loss.

There is always surgery. Time can take care of some of it, but that really depends on your age. Gaining the weight back will make the sag disappear... But no amount of weight training is going to tighten skin (unless you bulk up under it which will only work if it isn't all that much, and stomach muscles don't really seem to bulk very much!). This is one of those undiscussed problems of weight loss.

It is one of the few things I might consider cosmetic surgery for. That and the saggy area under my chin. I guess I'm just really hung up on saggy skin. :huh:

That seems pretty drastic though, and it has only been a few months. I'm actually not even down to my goal weight yet, though I'm getting very close. I will try more core exercises and dry brushing and time. Oh, and vitamin E. I read that can help skin elasticity too.

Ages ago I read an article from an MD that said that most people will lose loose skin if they get their bodyfat percentage low enough and keep it low for about a year.  That said, typically that percentage is too low.  Weight training can help (all over your body, not just abs), but the only thing that is reliable is a mini tummy tuck.