Menu

Is every involved mom a homeschooling mom?

Butter

Is it homeschooling?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Is it homeschooling?

• Yes
    • No
    • Squirrel

I think the confusion comes from the fact that good homeschooling uses the same skills as good parenting.  This is why I stick to legal definitions.  

That works in most cases, but the legal definition of homeschooler varies from state to state. From a legal standpoint, no one in my state is a "homeschooler," as homeschools are considered nonaccredited private schools.

No, I wouldn't. I usually don't care what people call themselves, but I feel this is one that doesn't make any sense. I used to be a ps mom and it's a hard job!!! Even as a sahm with lite kids it was hard. But it's not homeschooling because I was parenting and tutoring, not in charge of the educating. I have had people say they are homeschooling when they had infants and, well, whatever. Not a big deal. But I've had one person claim they were homeschoolers when they did what every good ps parent does. I didn't argue it, but it took me aback.

And yes, homeschooling does not mean involved. Rarely it's a front for abuse and neglect, and sometimes they are only involved to the degree of telling the kids to learn on their own. I'm not talking real unschooling here.

No, and frankly I'm a little tired of words getting co-opted in society by groups that just want to feel included and force themselves into a community with no thought to those who are already in it.  Not that there can't be overlapping communities--there should be--but come ON.  It weakens the term, which isn't good for anyone, whether it's homeschooling or anything else.

Not an accurate description...however, I would still consider someone enrolled in an on-line virtual academy a home schooler (but I've been told in no uncertain terms they are not).  To me, it doesn't matter who a curriculum provider might be, though...I did just as much (or more) work as a mom "overseeing" my kids education through a virtual academy, as I did using a wide variety of resources.  I serve as more of a facilitator/organizer for my oldest kids, but even though I'm not sitting at their side teaching them one-on-one, I'm still homeschooling them (keeping records, choosing curriculum, planning courses, evaluating learning)

This I agree with if my earlier post wasn't clear.  I was not directing at anyone on this thread.  There have just been other posts that hint that unless someone is homeschooling a particular way they aren't homeschoolers, sometimes even taking it further than just virtual online academies.  I default to the legal definition.  However, I am fine with online charter parents using "homeschool" to describe what they do (or unschoolers, eclectic, boxed curriculum users, etc).   Online charters are actually a ton of parental work from what I can see unless you have a very self directed high schooler.  Further use is silly to me, but I also know afterschooling/negotiating the school system (public or private) can be intense for some families and I feel grateful I don't have to play those games for the time being. 

ETA - there are also some unusual options here that are even cloudier.  Like 3 at school/2 day at home options, or 2 school/3 home, project based schools that require WAY above normal school parental involvement.  My teen goes to a co-op and takes academic classes one day a week and follow up on work throughout the week.  Some think that is not homeschooling either.  Anyway, a little further perspective.  I'm just saying, I see the gray area. 

HS support groups I've been in have had requests by moms with kids in PS or private school to include their kids in activities because "we HS too". Nope, sorry. You may afterschool on evenings & weekends and in the summer, but if your child is enrolled FT in a classroom-based school, you aren't homeschooling.

Now families with some kids who HS and some kids who don't generally are welcome to include all their kids in social activities because they are a homeschooling family.

Having done both, I know that afterschooling is very different from homeschooling. Homeschooling is much easier.

I think this depends on the situation, it varies wildly from student to student and school to school, and parent/student dynamics play into it as well.

I'm currently doing both as well. I have two kids in school. My son who has always homeschooled would be difficult to afterschool, afterschooling him would probably be more difficult than homeschooling him, he has some special needs. My oldest middle schooler is now in a private school and does some afterschooling at home. Afterschooling with him has been much easier than homeschooling with him ever was, he is gifted and is very independent.

About the use of terms, I'm tired of the Mommy wars. Parenting well is hard, no matter how you choose to go about it, it's a hard job. Own your decisions and don't worry about being validated by others.

In my state (and many others), homeschooling is done instead of enrolling in public or private school. Parents here are not homeschooling by doing something in addition to one of those, no matter how much effort they may be putting into it.