Menu

Tell me your video game (Minecraft) rules for home

Peplophoros

So my ds(9) is obsessed with Minecraft, which he's only played a couple of times at our local library.  After checking out and buying multiple books on the subject, he's researched the thing to death and is dying to play.  He wants it so badly he was in tears over it last night (he never asks for or gets any toys except on birthdays and Christmas, so he's not spoiled). Honestly, I'm not sure I can hold out any longer, and I'm considering buying a license for our home computer for his birthday this month.

So, tell me about your Minecraft rules!  Only on weekends (I'm inclined to say not on weekdays)?  For how long?  I'm worried that my avid reader (hours and hours every day) will be an avid gamer if I allow too much.  Or should I stick to my guns and not allow it in the house at all--the problem here is that we get to the library only once every two weeks or so since I have a newborn in the house and getting out (and staying out) is hard.

I'm pretty anti-technology, and although my kids watch a tiny bit of t.v. every day, I don't want them on tablets (only I have one) or the computer much at all.  Anyone else with the same anti-technology outlook allow Minecraft once in a while?  I guess I'm just dreading the begging (not only by him but by his siblings as well), and need to have a firm plan in place before all hell breaks loose!  

Conflicted...

We try to limit tech to weekends, which for us is Friday - Sunday since we school 4 days/week.  That way the priority is on school for school days.  When they were younger we kept track of weekend times so they didn't end up with brain-melting wii or computer marathons, but now that they are older they self-regulate well.  Sometimes they are allowed to do Minecraft during the week, but they have to ask permission first and the time is limited.

So if you do weekends only, you may have to make it an hour per day on the weekend to start or something.  Because they can very easily get lost in the world of Minecraft and not return for days.  Setting the limit FIRST will make it easier to accept, and if all goes well you can increase the time.

No screen time before morning read alouds (both ways: I read to him and then he reads to me).

The Xbox is in big brother's room. You do not go into big brother's room when he is not here. You do not wake big brother up when he is sleeping. You do not disturb big brother when he needs alone time.

Proprietary java is not going on my computers. You can play minetest with free java.

You can watch the Stampy Longnose videos I have preapproved for you when I am not using the computer as long as you are polite when I ask you to pause them for a second while I surf the chat board in search of cupcakes and kilts.

Our only rules are:

1.  Skrafty is the only server they can play on.  It's run by a homeschool family and is monitored very well.  It is pretty heavy on the Christian content if that's something you want to avoid.  

2.  No electronic gaming on Sunday. 

Other than that, they self-regulate pretty well.  Every so often I have to give a gentle reminder that they need to go do something else with their brain and time.  ;)

"First rule of Minecraft....don't talk about Minecraft." (I'm totally serious. I'm totally supportive of my kids - up to this Minecraft deal. I don't want to listen to 60 minutes of yak about the game. Ever. Self control here, kids.)

30 minutes of screen time per day after school, choirs, piano, etc.

Saturday until noon I'm flexible with tv and video games, but life always comes first.

Pre-approved servers only.

Any violation may result in lifelong videogame bans. I hate them so the kids know to follow the rules.

It falls under my general screentime rules. It comes on at 4:30 and goes off when dinner is ready.

My kids have had a wonderful time bonding with other kids over minecraft. There are so, so many other worse things they could be bonding over. I am fine with this one.

One of ds2's friend got a book from the library and figured out how to set up his own server and invited his friends. I was very impressed he did that.

It falls under my general screentime rules. It comes on at 4:30 and goes off when dinner is ready.

My kids have had a wonderful time bonding with other kids over minecraft. There are so, so many other worse things they could be bonding over. I am fine with this one.

One of ds2's friend got a book from the library and figured out how to set up his own server and invited his friends. I was very impressed he did that.

Can you give us the name of the book?

Maybe someone could set up a WTM (Well Trained Minecraft) server where our kids are safe.

I don't want to listen to 60 minutes of yak about the game. Ever. Self control here, kids.

No kidding. My guys enjoy Minecraft. But I do not need to hear about it.

I deserve an Oscar for putting on my "I'm mildly interested" face. After a while, I tell them I can't hear any more Minecraft or my ears will fall off.

Cat

Our rules: My kiddos that play are 7.5 and just shy of 5.

1. Only play on our internal home network (no internet access)

2. If there is a problem or don't know how to do something, it will be resolved by Dad as Mom does not play.

3. 30 min is earned per day (to be used that day) by cooperating and completing schoolwork and completing chores.

4. Go over time and it is deducted from the weekend time. (They get 1hr each day to play together with Dad.)

5. You must wait for permission.

6. Do not destroy someone else's creation unless permission is granted otherwise the next day's time is given to the victim.

That's about it for now, and we change as we needed.

IMHO, as far as video games go, Minecraft is one of the better ones out there.  Nevertheless, if we didn't put limits on it, my oldest DD (8) would play it constantly.  Our rule is 45 minutes per day after all school/activities are done.

DD takes courses on minecrafthomeschool.com. She has a weekly reading and build assignment based on the theme of the course (which right now happens to be on explorers).  I really like the fact that the servers are constantly being monitored; otherwise I would not be comfortable with her being on a public server just yet.  She has already bought three books about it and really likes to talk about it (and usually I just nod and smile :))  

He can play Minecraft for 30 minutes as soon as all school, music practice, and independent reading has been completed.  

I love the PP who mentioned no Minecraft talk... I need to get a snazzy line to shut it down, b/c it drives me bonkers.

Another issue is when friends come over... I don't mind making plans for a minecraft specific playdate.  But as a general rule, all impromptu playdates are in person face to face deals - no screens.  But my DS is 8 and still loves imaginary play.  

Not allowed. Witnessed too much damage to the lifestyles of other kids (son's friends) to bring it into our home.

Not worth it.

Way better to have an active life IMO.

Bill

This is why I went from unlimited Minecraft useage, to no electronics on school days - and only 1 hour on a day off.

So my ds(9) is obsessed with Minecraft, which he's only played a couple of times at our local library.

dying to play. He wants it so badly he was in tears over it last night (he never asks for or gets any toys except on birthdays and Christmas, so he's not spoiled). Honestly, I'm not sure I can hold out any longer, and I'm considering buying a license for our home computer for his birthday this month.

So, tell me about your Minecraft rules!

I'm pretty anti-technology

Conflicted...

Seriously? If you are seeing this level of desire to play the game before you even have it in the house I wouldn't let it in at all. I am not anti technology. My kids watch tv and have played video games for years (Wii and xBox). Minecraft is a great game! Wonderful. Very creative. But my kids became addicted from the get-go and it is now gone. For now, it is for the school year. Maybe forever if they don't handle it better when they do get it back. Keep in mind, their use was WITH limits (no electronics on weekdays and 2 hours on weekends, so no issues with video games coming in the way of other meaningful activities) and then, for a while this summer, WITHOUT, trying out the theory (at DH's request) that they would bore of it and self-limit. That worked with TV and other games but not with Minecraft. They were rabid. DD actually asked me to take it away from her, even as she asked for more time to finish and save! She knew it was bad for her. The boys (reluctantly) agree. If I had it to do over, I would never have allowed it in the house. And, again, I am NOT anti-technology. LOL

Anyway, what I hear in your post are some warning bells that he may react similarly. Already in tears over it with you trying to hold out? That could very well be a daily occurrence with the game on the computer!

Library use only sounds like a great limiter. (Although I take issue with libraries having video games, but that is a whole 'nother thread... LOL)

It is possible to have an active life and allow video games.

We hike, bicycle, walk the neighborhood. We play backyard badminton and climb trees and play outside and run back and forth from the neighbors' to home, and swim. (And read and play board games and have conversations and study and draw....) Video games are just what they do when we're not doing the rest of life.

Not second guessing anyone else's choice. YMMV and everyone had to make the decisions that work best for their family and all of that. I think it's fine to ban them, limit them, allow them....

Just pointing out that the video games and an active life, physically, mentally, and emotionally are not necessarily mutually exclusive. :)

Cat

It is possible to have an active life and allow video games.

We hike, bicycle, walk the neighborhood. We play backyard badminton and climb trees and play outside and run back and forth from the neighbors' to home, and swim. (And read and play board games and have conversations and study and draw....) Video games are just what they do when we're not doing the rest of life.

Not second guessing anyone else's choice. YMMV and everyone had to make the decisions that work best for their family and all of that. I think it's fine to ban them, limit them, allow them....

Just pointing out that the video games and an active life, physically, mentally, and emotionally are not necessarily mutually exclusive. :)

Cat

I completely agree with this. And it is how our life was pre-Minecraft. LOL