Menu

Looking for a favorite YOGA DVD

Nicholas_mom

what type of condition are you in?

my favorite beginning dvd (as in - for inflexible) is Suzanne deason's "yoga conditioning for weight loss".  she shows (as opposed to telling you) three levels of modification in addition to the full poses given.  it builds leg muscles, balance muscles, and some core. lots of stretching and twisting.  you will loosen up.  

for targeting the hips specifically - I have used Barbara benagh's yoga for stress relief.  it has a number of various length practices on it.  she does have a target practice for hips and another for the lower back.  you also want poses that will target lower abdominals as they are related.  one of my favorite hip opening poses is reclining cobbler's pose.  I have always had very tight hips, but they are opening.

Ashley taylor's:   element yoga for weight loss does have some good focus on the hips because "they are the largest muscle group".  it requires more strength and flexibility than the above practices.  as you loosen tight hips - you may notice unpleasant emotions coming out - just go with it and work through it.   tight muscles can also be about emotion being held inside.  she also has a couple dvds on stress relief and another on flexibility

Thank you, Happy and GardenMom5!!!!!!!

Wonderful!

as you loosen tight hips - you may notice unpleasant emotions coming out - just go with it and work through it.   tight muscles can also be about emotion being held inside.  she also has a couple dvds on stress relief and another on flexibility

Yep Yep and more YES!!!  I know.  It was VERY prevalent to me when the physical therapist brought out a model of the pelvis and all the muscles.  BIG emotions came out of that! 

I am very inflexible so I will look for the 1st DVD you recommend and hopefully it will be at the library to try out.  Thanks again :hurray:

We love Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up series. It's a mix of fascial release using things like pinky balls, yoga, and physical therapy. It's extremely well thought out, and does a good job of getting you to actually use the muscles you should be rather than cheating and engaging other body parts. Given that you specifically want to release hips, that might be what you want to focus on.

Another option for working body parts is Katy Bowman's Alignment Snacks. They're about a half hour each, and $5 to download - I think once you download it's yours forever, so it's not a bad price. Again, she is very specific about working the muscles, tendons, etc. that you actually mean to work, and not being a cheater-pants (one day I was doing one of her exercises and discovered the reason I don't appear to have rounded shoulders is because I thrust my lower ribs forward - ugh! - how had I gotten away with that for so many decades?).

Thank you, Happy!!!!!!!

Wonderful!

Yep Yep and more YES!!!  I know.  It was VERY prevalent to me when the physical therapist brought out a model of the pelvis and all the muscles.  BIG emotions came out of that! 

I am very inflexible so I will look for the 1st DVD you recommend and hopefully it will be at the library to try out.  Thanks again :hurray:

almost no matter what you go with - you will need a yoga block (you can use books - but the blocks are smaller - and thicker, as well as being more stable because foam doesn't slip.), a strap, a blanket (you can use a beach towel or throw) to help with modifications.

eta: she's pretty good about reminding to "listen to your body".  don't push hard, you will move more than you think when your body is ready.  I would recommend this/like this at least 3 - 4 x per week.

I love the free website (but donations or subscription gratefully received) Do Yoga With Me http://www.doyogawithme.com/

These are high quality videos, with excellent sound & video production & the instructors are top notch.

David Procyshyn has several workouts specifically for runners incl the IT band http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-stretch-class-it-band

Hips, hamstrings, back http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-hips-hamstrings-and-back

Hip flexor heaven http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/hip-flexor-heaven-0

He's here on the west coast & many of the outdoor sessions are filmed in our beautiful parks and beaches... 

OP, can I piggyback on to your post, since so many yoga people are on this thread?

I would like an easy to moderately difficult DVD or website for yoga where the instructor goes slowly enough for me to follow the instructions. Most of them just go from one pose to another and I miss doing the steps because I am busy watching what they do and by the time I am ready, they are on to the next step. I am constantly hitting the rewind button which is a killer.

I would again suggest Do Yoga With Me.

There is an entire section just on poses http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_poses  where they teach you the pose

you can work your way through some of the more common poses on their own

The also have a section called Beginner's Studio

Also, before doing a workout the first time, if you can, just watch it through so you can pause & practice any individual pose.  It's normal to kind of fake the entry & exits at first, esp through some of the more yoga workout style lessons.

hatha tends to have slower entry & exits

restorative yoga will have the slowest ... I <3 restorative yoga :) 

I would again suggest Do Yoga With Me.

There is an entire section just on poses http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_poses  where they teach you the pose

you can work your way through some of the more common poses on their own

The also have a section called Beginner's Studio

Also, before doing a workout the first time, if you can, just watch it through so you can pause & practice any individual pose.  It's normal to kind of fake the entry & exits at first, esp through some of the more yoga workout style lessons.

hatha tends to have slower entry & exits

restorative yoga will have the slowest ... I <3 restorative yoga :)

Thank you! I will try the website you suggested. And I will try out the poses before starting on a workout.

Ashely turner or Barbara bengah both have good yoga dvd's. 

you might like AT's yoga for weightloss rec'd above.  she gives both the English and Sanskrit pose name, and it's a good all-round workout.  she is good with instruction to get into the pose - but will also step up the pose for more advanced practitioners while the beginner holds a more basic posture. I don't drip quite as much as I used to - I must be getting more fit.  =D

she also has a power yoga dvd I've put in my shopping cart.

Barbara benagh  has a power yoga dvd that has 'beginner' as well as intermediate and advanced.  with multiple length programs, as well as focus.  her beginning section has side-plank as well as crane pose (I did it with heavy mod's - but am wondering if that's part of why my shoulders were problematic when I went to my chiro this am).  I don't consider those beginning poses.  she does go slowly enough for you to move into it and gives good instruction.

I like them both as instructors.

OP, can I piggyback on to your post, since so many yoga people are on this thread?

I would like an easy to moderately difficult DVD or website for yoga where the instructor goes slowly enough for me to follow the instructions. Most of them just go from one pose to another and I miss doing the steps because I am busy watching what they do and by the time I am ready, they are on to the next step. I am constantly hitting the rewind button which is a killer.

Mark Laham - both his yoga DVDs are my absolute favorites. I feel so energized and my muscles feel so stretched. He's a great instructor. Both of his DVDs have about 3 separate workouts. He knows his stuff. My former yoga instructor liked him a lot also. And her opinion is one that I respect. 

Power Yoga DVD has the following options:

Warm Up Only (20 Minutes) - this is a good start to yoga in and of itself and later you can work up to the rest of the DVDs.

There are 2 types of Warm Up - Beginner and Intense.

Strengthen the Core - 60 Minutes

Open the Hips- 65 Minutes 

Yin Yoga DVD is one I really love. 

It has the following, each of which are pretty much an hour.

Front Line Sequence

Back Line Sequence

Hips and Pelvis

If you order from Total Fitness DVDs, their "10off" coupon should give you an additional 10% off. 

You can try videos from Total Yoga.     They are downloads now,  I see.  

just start with a simple relaxation practice.  some are only 20 minutes long. just do 2x per week. ease into it.  you can do it first thing, or last thing (especially a relaxation practice), or anywhere in between.

This is a helpful thread!

I really need to start doing yoga. I am convinced it would help with pain and stress...so why don't I just do it?!?!?!

I frustrate myself a lot of the time.

We love Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up series. It's a mix of fascial release using things like pinky balls, yoga, and physical therapy. It's extremely well thought out, and does a good job of getting you to actually use the muscles you should be rather than cheating and engaging other body parts. Given that you specifically want to release hips, that might be what you want to focus on.

Another option for working body parts is Katy Bowman's Alignment Snacks. They're about a half hour each, and $5 to download - I think once you download it's yours forever, so it's not a bad price. Again, she is very specific about working the muscles, tendons, etc. that you actually mean to work, and not being a cheater-pants (one day I was doing one of her exercises and discovered the reason I don't appear to have rounded shoulders is because I thrust my lower ribs forward - ugh! - how had I gotten away with that for so many decades?).

Does Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up series have any hamstring work?  I can't tell from the Amazon reviews.  One of my hamstrings is really tight due to an injury a few years ago.