Menu

has anyone tried floating?

hornblower

I prefer my 'floatation bath'. Deep, very warm, bath salts, good book and wine glass and bottle.

I mostly shower, but I love loooong deep baths.

When dd1 would get in a screaming, no-longer-anyone-home state, I would sometimes strip her and bodily lift her into a warm bath in a dimly lit bathroom, with one of her favourite stories on a tape. Within a couple of minutes she would be calm and stay in for a long time with bath top-ups and tapes turned.

Showers are good, but a bath is something else.

I could see the tanks being like an uber-bath. But for me the book, bath, booze trifector works. And I don't have to drive home afterwards.

• Like 5

Well, I tried it.

And, I hated it.

I have severe motion sickness & this set me off in a big way. Between the warmth, humidity, floating, motion, I felt so nauseated. Not the feeling I was hoping for.

Maybe I'll just sit in a padded room next time. That would give me the quiet, but not the motion. Lol.

Oh well. Figured I'd post my experience (esp. in case anyone else suffers from motion sickness).

Ohhhh, I still haven't gone & now you've scared me. I never even thought this would trigger motion sickness but maybe I can see how - no horizon, disorienting in space ..

sorry you had a bad experience! Maybe I'll stick to massages for relaxation.

If you are in any way prone to anxiety, it can be more harmful than helpful. I have not personally experienced it but someone I know did and he was not impressed. The sensory deprivation issue can backfire for some people, but you may not be one of them. All this to say you won't know until you try it. If you do, let us know how it went for you. I am always interested in these things from a professional standpoint.

• Like 1

Ohhhh, I still haven't gone & now you've scared me. I never even thought this would trigger motion sickness but maybe I can see how - no horizon, disorienting in space ..

sorry you had a bad experience! Maybe I'll stick to massages for relaxation.

My dad had an interesting theory. He thought that since all the other senses are so reduced, feeling the motion was about the only one left &, as such, that focuses all your attention on it, making it even worse (if you suffer from motion sickness, you probably know what I mean). That's not entirely true because all my other senses were not fully deprived -- I could still see (was not in total darkness), could still hear (somewhat, but I have dog-level hearing abilities, lol), could still smell (the salty water, which then underscored the 'sea'sickness part of motion sickness). The humidity/heat did not help either.

Anyway, I would totally try sensory deprivation in a dark/quiet/cool room, just not in a moving, overly humid one.

In the meantime, I'll stick to massages for relaxation.

Interesting...haven't heard of that!  How exactly is it supposed to be helpful?  I'm actually a tiny bit interested because we are on to trying a lot of alternative things with our daughter (since traditional things didn't help).  She has continual migraines which seem to partly be aggravated by a super-sensitive sensory system.

Last month, she went to a cryotherapy chamber!  She sat in a little chamber about the size of an outhouse with a temperature of  -200 degrees for 3 minutes.  It's supposed to maybe take a crack at chronic inflammation that has built up over time...

How did the cryotherapy work? (I recently heard about this somewhere else...). Did your dd feel any improvement or is it something that is supposed to help after doing it longer-term?

I was interested in the 'sensory-deprivation' part of what I did because I consider myself 'sensory defensive' (term from a book that someone recommended on this board) -- basically, the world in general is often too loud, too smelly, too bright, too crowded, etc... & it wears me down. Going somewhere where I can stop the sensory input for awhile sounds wonderful.

• Like 2

How did the cryotherapy work? (I recently heard about this somewhere else...). Did your dd feel any improvement or is it something that is supposed to help after doing it longer-term?

I was interested in the 'sensory-deprivation' part of what I did because I consider myself 'sensory defensive' (term from a book that someone recommended on this board) -- basically, the world in general is often too loud, too smelly, too bright, too crowded, etc... & it wears me down. Going somewhere where I can stop the sensory input for awhile sounds wonderful.

She said it was a pretty amazing experience.  They let her pick out a song and they played it over a loudspeaker for three minutes to keep her distracted from the cold.  She danced the whole time (because it was too cold to just stand there).  Her skin turned numb pretty quickly and she said it was a little difficult to move her limbs.  Immediately afterward, they had her go on a treadmill for 10 minutes to get the blood flowing again.  She said she felt incredible immediately after that, but nothing long-term.  Her actual headache pain was still there, but everything else felt so incredibly good and relaxed, and she felt invigorated.  They encouraged her to come in three times/week for about a month, as they said chronic inflammation doesn't just go away in three minutes.  She maybe would do it, but she lives too far away for that to be feasible right now.

Interesting...haven't heard of that!  How exactly is it supposed to be helpful?  I'm actually a tiny bit interested because we are on to trying a lot of alternative things with our daughter (since traditional things didn't help).  She has continual migraines which seem to partly be aggravated by a super-sensitive sensory system.

She's been evaluated for retained primitive reflexes? They can be stubborn buggers.

I hate water/being in the water, so no, BUT I have read about meditation pods that were meant for this. I would happily go into a meditation pod with no noise, no interuptions, etc.