Menu

Physical Education on transcript?

isaelijohjac

We just listed it as a 0.5 credit class each year and graded it P/F.

We gave grades for all academic classes, but we graded non-academic electives (logic, music theory, sewing, etc.) on a P/F basis.

We did in clude a "course description" for phys ed. Since we organized the course descriptions by subject, the phys ed course description appeared just once.

Why does it look silly as a pass/fail? I find it sillier to average letter grades for PE with letter grades for subjects like calculus.

I gave a grade of P for all electives and gave letter grades only for the core academic subjects.

DD has one cumulative credit for PE (0.25 cr per year). I included details about the course in the course descriptions and gave the course a descriptive title (PE: Rock climbing and mountaineering).

It may be required for graduation at PS, but that doesn't mean that your homeschool has to require it.  If you feel it is silly,  you could leave it off.  OTOH, if it is an accurate reflection of how your dc spent their high school time, there is nothing wrong with leaving it on.  There is nothing wrong with using pass/fail, if it's not an important factor on the transcript. I'll bet college admissions officers aren't really making sure that the PE box is checked on every application.

FWIW, ds is an athlete.  He had 4 years of PE credit with grades on his transcript.  I think it's silly, but it gives the schools an indication of the level of his involvement.

Ds never took an economics class which is a PS requirements for graduation. He was accepted at every school he applied to.

It's my understanding that many admissions offices rework the grade point anyway as they decide who to admit, looking primarily at the basic coursework and eliminating the mostly non-academic courses like PE, home-ec, typing, band, etc. I wouldn't be concerned with a letter grade, nor would I worry about how many years it appears. If your dc did it and spent the hours, go ahead and put it on there.

what state?  It is not a graduation requirement in PA.

And I have no problem with giving credit and a grade for a PE class. Just because it isn't AP Calc or Analytical Literature doesn't mean the student didn't do any work or the class has no value. :confused1:  In high school, my gym teacher actually tested us on game rules, team formations, and other things not sports-ability related. It was the best way a non-jock like me could still earn an A in PE- and I worked HARD for it.

Thanks all.

If I do decide to do a pass/fall grade how do I include credits. if I include a credit and not grade point it brings the gpa down. Is the pass a certain grade point?

thank you!

The whole point of p/f is that it doesn't count into the gpa at all. Are you using transcript generating software that calculates your grades for you? If so, you might have to count it as a graded course in order to workaround your software.

If not, though, just divide by one fewer course. For example:

Math: A

English: B

Science: B

History: C

Spanish: C

PE: P

There are five graded courses.

GPA: (4 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 2) /5 = 14/5 = 2.8

Thanks all.

If I do decide to do a pass/fall grade how do I include credits. if I include a credit and not grade point it brings the gpa down. Is the pass a certain grade point?

you would include only those courses which have a letter grade in the GPA calculation.

You can still count the credit - the GPA does not have anything to do with the total number of credits. I have grades of P for all electives and letter grades only for the academic core subjects. The GPA is calculated for the academic core subjects only. The total number of completed credits each semester includes all credits, whether graded with letter grade or with P for participation.

Fyi, the NCAA assigns the lowest passing grade to a Pass/Fail grade on the transcript. So that is usually a D. And then calculates GPA. They may be the only group that does this, but in this instance, it would much better to assign a grade. 

Doesn't the NCAA only care about "core courses" for the minimum required GPA, and isn't PE excluded from those "core courses"?

You guys are right, my mistake.

For me, though, if the kids in my area (meaning the two districts I am most familiar with) are required to do a year of PE and they get a grade which is figured into their GPA (for most it is an A, based on attendance and participation), I am inclined to give a grade and credit. It could be a fun and interesting year of trying new sports or dance.

One of the college oldest dd looked at required a year of PE.  I figured it out and put it on there.  Now I'm making the other two do the same thing.  I did put it pass/fail.  I had this description on the side:  

A "P" indicates a discussion based class in which no letter grade was received.  Credits count toward graduation but not toward GPA.

We had other classes listed as pass/fail as well.  No one questioned any of these classes.

I put it on my transcript and gave it .5 credit.  I included what they did - riding bikes, rock climbing, fitness at the Y, etc.  I did put it pass/fail because I didn't feel it warranted a grade.  I did note on my transcript that P/F courses were not included in the GPA.  I had read somewhere that some P/F courses are automatically given a grade of a C and I didn't want my kids' gpas to be affected by that.