Menu

I go to court tomorrow for child support

Joanne

Update when I am at a desktop. Quick summary is I have to apply for social security benefits under his record for the kids (he has filed for retirement) and because his income is so low, he won't owe any ongoing support.

The arrears is still in force at the original number, and he is on probation subject to jail for that if he does not pay after our Nov reset date (giving me time to file the ss benefits).

The Judge gave me the option of negotiation or jail for him. I chose to not put him in jail.

That was merciful to him, Joanne. May it come back to you.

Perhaps. It just goes against my heart as a human, my paradigm as a therapist, and my theory on learning - punitive measures don't work. If I had said yes to jail, it would have been only to prove I was right and would have escalated the situation. I didn't see a positive or productive outcome for that.

Perhaps. It just goes against my heart as a human, my paradigm as a therapist, and my theory on learning - punitive measures don't work. If I had said yes to jail, it would have been only to prove I was right and would have escalated the situation. I didn't see a positive or productive outcome for that.

Very well said.  Not as serious a legal situation, but I made the same choice.  Punitive action would have gotten me nothing, and further damaged a damaged person.  Better to look at the big picture.

You are a good human being Joanne.  I hope the SS benefits will help your kids. And I am sorry this is the best that they can do for you and yours.  Many positive vibes coming your way. Maybe the sun is peeking through the sunroof a little? :grouphug: