Menu

C diff?

Night Elf

Dd was diagnosed with c diff months ago. She was having a really hard time with the symptoms. They finally gave her the right medication and probiotics. Last night, she started having intenstinal cramping and this morning she's nauseous and dizzy. She's worried it's back. How likely is it that it will recur?

C diff is very likely to return, especially if there are any medical conditions compromising the immune system.

There is a newer antibiotic called Dificid that is more effective than Vancomycin, but it's very expensive and insurance companies are sometimes reluctant to cover it.

http://www.dificid.com/

Okay, I wrote down that med name. If she ends up back at the doctor, I'll ask about it.

Oh no, I'm sorry.  I've had (have?) a problem with recurring C Diff.  It is horrible.  And scary, and worrisome, and just horribly painful.  

Obviously, if she thinks she may be relapsing, a call to the doc is in order.  The right meds are important.  So that's first. 

In addition to the usual probiotics, please make sure she takes S. Boulardii.  One brand name that has been tested extensively for treating C Diff is Florastor.  You can order it from Amazon, or they carry it at CVS.  It is a beneficial yeast, and it "eats" C Diff. Everyone in our family now takes it whenever they are on abx, but I take it every day.  If I don't, I feel it.  It's expensive, but worth it.  Take it at least 2 hours away from her abx to treat the C Diff.  

If she takes Vanco, also keep an eye out for "Red Man Syndrome" ... It starts out looking like a sunburn, and is easy to overlook till it's pretty severe and uncomfortable.  Don't ask how I know!

My doctor has been very proactive about learning more options, too, as this is an on-going thing for me.  In the past, if I've suspected a relapse, I've sometimes managed to stave it off.  I've used oil of oregano, raw garlic, CandiBactin-BR by Metagenics, and a host of other supplements.  

The last resort, of course, is a fecal transplant.  It doesn't sound like your daughter is there yet.  I have considered it, and if I could find an appropriate donor - I wouldn't hesitate.  Sounds awful, but desperate times, desperate measures. :)

I hope she feels better soon.  And I hope it's not a relapse!  Keep us posted.

C diff sounds so awful that I don't understand why fecal transplants are only used as a last resort. From what I've read, it sounds like they should be offered much sooner, maybe first. I've read they have about a 90% cure rate after everything else has failed. I hope enough studies are done to convince doctors that expensive antibiotics that are rough on the liver shouldn't be the treatment of choice until a patient is near death.

The studies done on mice and fecal transplants for weight loss have been interesting. I hope someday soon that it is an option for human weightloss.

C diff sounds so awful that I don't understand why fecal transplants are only used as a last resort. From what I've read, it sounds like they should be offered much sooner, maybe first. I've read they have about a 90% cure rate after everything else has failed. I hope enough studies are done to convince doctors that expensive antibiotics that are rough on the liver shouldn't be the treatment of choice until a patient is near death.

The studies done on mice and fecal transplants for weight loss have been interesting. I hope someday soon that it is an option for human weightloss.

For weight loss? That is fascinating!

I suspect it might be a good treatment for candida overgrowth as well.

I agree that it should be offered first.  Not as a last resort.  I've posted a few times about it here, since C Diff is the bane of my existence.  And it scares the pants off of me.

My doc has suggested that I find a donor, however, I've yet to find a suitable donor.  DH was my first choice, but he has some issues that make the doc feel he's not appropriate.  Ideally one's kids would be the first choice, but both of mine have been on abx multiple times.  For awhile, I found myself evaluating each of our friends for gut-health, and looking at dinner party guests as potential donors.  :)  Never asked anyone, I am not brave enough.

Night Elf, if you have a healthy gut - you might consider doing this for your DD.  It is actually something one can do at home, with some guidance.  I have *not* done it, but my doc has gone over it with me several times.

Th ^pp's advic about cdiff/vancomyacin/Rd Man's syndrom is right on. W had th vanc/Red Man's syndrom issu pop up. Thy can premedicat you with steroids if sh neds anothr dose in th future, but th study dd was on suggsts th reaction is gnetic, so you may want to kep that in mind, espcially givn how frequntly the reaction occurs.

We did heavy duty probiotics aftr evry round of antibiotics...any time you hav eth healthy bactria disturbd in the gut, rlapses bcom more likely.

---sorry, my E key is wonky today....

I would need to ask her what she's taking, because I'm not sure. She's not on antibiotics right now because it's been months since she was sick. She told me today that every time she feels ill, she's paranoid it's the C Diff coming back. So that is why she texted me last night when she had intestinal cramping. Today she woke up feeling nauseous and dizzy but by lunch, it was gone and she's feeling fine. I told her if she starts having diarrhea to call the doctor immediately to order a lab. I'm not sure the other symptoms are C Diff or just a bug. I was nauseous a couple of days ago but it went away by evening so I told her it might just be a bug.

FWIW, when she saw the doctor last time, they did a cat scan and it was normal so I felt they were at least trying to rule things out. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics to make her feel better. The last doctor we saw said the other doctor just didn't do the right thing. He also mentioned the fecal transplant but wanted to wait and see how she would react to the medicine. So at least they mentioned it. I'd be the first to ask about donating, even though I'm not at all sure what it involves. Hopefully we won't need to take that route.

She's at work right now. I'll ask her how she's doing when she gets off.

This product seems to help. I suspect plain banana flakes taken at the same time as a probiotic supplement would be a less expensive option.

Not to mention the risk of developing further antibiotic resistant strains.

If she is not taking probiotics now, I would really consider re-adding those permanently. Maybe even talk to a more holistic practitioner about balancing the gut.

Our newborn just got tested and while we were waiting, the ped told us to stop giving probiotics because some strains will feed the c-diff. (Maybe just the multi-strain general probiotics is a concern?) She's normally pro-probiotics but isn't a naturopath or anything. :)

OP, I'd get her tested ASAP. The longer it colonizes, the harder it is to treat.

I relapsed multiple times after long courses of Flagyl and finally got rid of it with Vanco and double doses of two probiotics. I took them for months. Then I went down to one and I still take them most everyday. 

The thing is that CDiff really messes with your bowels and it becomes hard to tell what's a simple virus or food reaction and what's CDiff. Once when I was really worried it had come back, a very kind GI offered to do a sigmoidoscopy right in the office to give me a clear answer. It was not comfortable but it was a huge relief to know I was in the clear. It was great not having to go on antibiotics again. 

I am soooo glad to hear about a new med for CDiff!!!!!!!!

Honestly, a fecal transplant is probably the quickest, cheapest, and most effective option for getting rid of c diff, if you are near a facility that does this procedure.  Your DD really should ask the doc about considering one.

Okay, I wrote down that med name. If she ends up back at the doctor, I'll ask about it.