Menu

Do your kids use both a laptop bag and a book bag?

LanaTron

We have a laptop bag, but if there was a laptop in it, there's not much room for books.  Do your kids use two bags?  I really don't remember taking books back and forth to class, but that was so, so long ago.

What do your college-age children typically carry around with them as they go to classes?

My two tend to carry around everything they need for that day---because their classes are spread apart in time or in space (they'd rather study in the library or in another space instead of the dorm) or because of an on-campus work shift between classes (ds), or because of rehearsal immediately following her last class (dd).

In the bag: laptop, notebooks, class books (depending on the day/classes, it can be one book, several books, five paperbacks, or no books at all), pens etc, reference material as needed, a portable snack if necessary, refillable water bottle, personal items depending on the day (umbrella, extra shirt, hoodie, etc), phone, chargers if needed...

Both kids have backpacks with padded laptop sleeves.

I have not seen any of my college students carrying a separate laptop bag - they have their laptops in their backpacks.

When my DD took her laptop or tablet to campus, she had it in her backpack as well.

A padded sleeve is a nice protection for the computer. A separate laptop bag is not practical.

I have not seen students carrying s separate laptop bag. DD20 carries her laptop in her backpack in a padded sleeve (picked up for $2 at office depot clearance). She uses it to work on papers, etc between classes as she rarely has time to go back to her apartment. This year, she is planning to use a tablet for writing papers and to carry around and just leave her laptop docked on her desk - the tablet is less weight to carry and works just as well.

Both my boys have always used regular backpacks for their laptops as well. We all like the padded neoprene sleeves - I even have one from case logic for my iPad so I can carry it stuffed in my bag without worrying.

Ds is looking for a laptop backpack. eBags.com has a nifty thing where you put in the model of your laptop and it will tell you what bags it will fit in. Right now ds is looking at a Dakine Campus/33L, but it may take him another week of serious pondering before he makes up his mind. :D

Backpack has a computer sleeve, but none of mine regularly take their laptop to class. If a computer is needed in class, it usually has school computers there to use. If working on something between classes, they go to computer lab and do work there. Textbooks usually go with them at first to find out if they are needed in class. Usually, they are not. After that first week, they stop unless they use it in class (which is not usual). Backpack usually has binders for classes.