Menu

geometry question.... why teach it??

please don't start bashing, but im just wondering why teach it?? dd just finished Jacobs algebra 1 and loved it, so we were going to start Jacobs geometry, but its rather expensive and honestly I cant afford it!  based on a thread I made the other day, we have decided to use lials for algebra 2 (intermediate). lials has a geometry, but again, expensive.  dd likes the video part of the lessons (but hated teaching textbooks). at college for dual enrollment it would be college algebra to start, so im wondering why if she is doing so very well with algebra, why not just skip geometry and start algebra 2 and then see if she takes the community college placement test and fits in for college algebra.  any thoughts??? no basing please, just thinking out loud hear  ;)

Logical reasoning and because tools from geometry are necessary in trigonometry and calculus. The usual developmental college sequence kinda assumes that geometry has been studied although not necessarily mastered in high school.

Jacobs is $35 to rent on amazon...isn't that cheaper than dual enrollment? Or is renting out of the question?

ETA: If cost is a really huge consideration, CK-12 has a free one.

If money is an issue:

Jacobs Geometry can be purchased used for $14 incl shipping on abebooks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13446398131&searchurl=isbn%3D9780716704560%26amp%3Bcm_sp%3Dmbc-_-9780716704560-_-all

Not in great condition, but if money is tight, it should suffice.

There is absolutely no reason to purchase the newest edition of a math book. Geometry has been around for centuries.

For $30 you can get a copy in good condition.

Logical reasoning and because tools from geometry are necessary in trigonometry and calculus. The usual developmental college sequence kinda assumes that geometry has been studied although not necessarily mastered in high school.

Jacobs is $35 to rent on amazon...isn't that cheaper than dual enrollment? Or is renting out of the question?

ETA: If cost is a really huge consideration, CK-12 has a free one.

If money is an issue:

Jacobs Geometry can be purchased used for $14 incl shipping on abebooks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13446398131&searchurl=isbn%3D9780716704560%26amp%3Bcm_sp%3Dmbc-_-9780716704560-_-all

Not in great condition, but if money is tight, it should suffice.

There is absolutely no reason to purchase the newest edition of a math book. Geometry has been around for centuries.

For $30 you can get a copy in good condition.

I would need a solutions manual and the dvd's as well for Jacobs. I cant seem to find lials geometry with the DVTS for cheap.....

Geometry teaches proofs which are logic similar to formal verbal logic with syllogisms, etc. My husband used primarily Euclid's Elements to teach it (with Jacobs as a supplement, but he thought Euclid did a better job) and I handled the verbal logic with Cothran's logic series from Memoria Press.  Both my older girls found doing them at the same time very useful as they reinforced each other.

The General Education Requirements for our state universities only require one math and Geometry is not specifically listed (although the consumer math  touches on it a bit).  It would be a shame to miss Geometry entirely because its something that's used by most people on a daily basis and requires a different type of reasoning.

Is she going to take the ACT or SAT? If so she needs to get through at least a basic Geometry course.

Lial's doesn't really have a geometry course because it is a remedial college series and colleges rarely offer geometry. Most kids that need remedial math are just going through the Algebra series up through College Algebra. 

What about Holt Geometry? I understand you can get it on the iPad for $14.99 and the videos are imbedded (if you have an iPad). 

You definitely should not skip it.  Even a slightly water-downed course would be better than none.  I will let others explain why.

Try Khan Academy (free)

or

Tablet Class  ($50 for the year on sale now!)

http://tabletclass.com/homeschool/tabletclass-math-discount.aspx

or   (free)

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=65

Every year (so far) Homeschool Buyers' Co-op features a free summer subscription to Your Teacher. Geometry is one of the courses offered. If you can't find another option, you could wait until next summer and have her take Geometry through a free subscription to Your Teacher (video-based lessons).

Reasons to teach geometry:

It is usually the first time students are exposed to proofs.  For many it will also be the last time. 

It forces (encourages?) students to think in a logical and precise way.

Some colleges require it.

You need it to do well on the ACT and the current SAT.

Go to iBooks and search for geometry. It has a published date of June 19,2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and is co-authored by Edward Burger. Then click on sample, the sample has video and quiz too.

found  Glencoe Geometry as well for the same price

Every year (so far) Homeschool Buyers' Co-op features a free summer subscription to Your Teacher. Geometry is one of the courses offered. If you can't find another option, you could wait until next summer and have her take Geometry through a free subscription to Your Teacher (video-based lessons).

I believe yourteacher is now http://www.mathhelp.com/  ??

found Glencoe Geometry as well for the same price

There are three public school geometry textbooks on iBooks

1) HMH geometry co-authored by Burger, Chard, Kennedy $14.99

2) McGraw-Hill (Glencoe) Geometry co-authored by Carter, Cuevas, Day $14.99

3) Pearson Geometry co-authored by Randall, Kennedy, Hall, Johnson $14.99