Menu

Kindle Touch vs. Paperwhite- worth the upgrade?

Mergath

I was looking around on Amazon this morning and noticed that the new 2nd gen Paperwhites are twenty bucks off today.  I have an older Kindle Touch that I use all the time, and I was wondering, would it be worth upgrading?  I have a giftcard on my Amazon account that would cover it thanks to dh and my upcoming birthday.  My Kindle Touch is starting to get a little slow, and the backlight would certainly be nice, but is it worth spending a hundred bucks just to go from the Touch to the Paperwhite?

Thanks! :)

For me, I would say it is worth it. It obviously depends on the situation, though.  I like to be able to read at night without disturbing others. I considered a Kindle Touch with a lighted case, but in the end went with the Paperwhite. I was so happy with it, I bought my daughter one. It makes it easier for us to read at night without disrupting circadian rhythms with bright lights or a backlit screen.

Yes, I think it's worth it. I had the old Kindle Touch for probably 3 years, and it was starting to get a bit wonky. I had been looking into the paperwhite for ages before I finally bought it. I really like it a lot. I love the fact that I can now read at night - our bedroom has crappy lighting and dh has to have absolute darkness to sleep anyways. So now I can read at bedtime without bothering him or hurting my eyes.

I also like that I can adjust the lighting, so if I don't need it I can turn it off. Even with the light on, it's easy on my eyes, which was a huge issue for me (I can't read off of a computer screen for very long before my eyes start to ache).

If you are able to I would strongly consider a KIndle Fire HD or Kindle Fire HDX that has immersion capability. With immersion, one can listen to a professional narration while each word is highlighted as it is spoken. It is a great tool for kids and even adults especially for harder to read classics. It can also be fun and engaging IMO. With immersion you have to get the ebook with Whispersync for voice feature and the audible.com version with the same feature. If you buy one, you can get the other at a very reduced price. Also, some of them are very or very inexpensive.

If you are able to I would strongly consider a KIndle Fire HD or Kindle Fire HDX that has immersion capability. With immersion, one can listen to a professional narration while each word is highlighted as it is spoken. It is a great tool for kids and even adults especially for harder to read classics. It can also be fun and engaging IMO. With immersion you have to get the ebook with Whispersync for voice feature and the audible.com version with the same feature. If you buy one, you can get the other at a very reduced price. Also, some of them are very or very inexpensive.

We have a couple kindle fires also. But we never read off of them. They have a very different purpose.

The regular kindle or paperwhite are much better for just reading.

I got a Paperwhite about a month ago and love it. If you read in the dark frequently, it would definitely be worth it. So much better than a book light!

I don't have a Touch. I upgraded from the old keyboard style. Paperwhite is definitely faster than that!

Well, I never had a Touch, but I LOVE the backlighting on my Paperwhite. I also feel pretty strongly about not reading on a regular screen for long periods, and I really appreciate not having to deal with an extra light source. If you have the $100 and you know you'll use the Kindle, it's worth it, IMO.

Maybe you can sell your Touch for $20 or so to recoup a little of your cost?

You will LOVE it.  I had the cheapest version Kindle they made and last year my mom bought me the paperwhite and I LOVE it.  It is wonderful for reading at night, etc. and not disturbing others.  When MIL was in the hospital I could easily read in the room without disturbing her sleeping, etc.  I read from it as much as I possible can.

I'll be the dissenter. I have a touch and The Husband has a paperwhite. Its a completely different OS, which doesn't bother me. But my touch functions just as cleanly and serves its purpose just as well as The Husband's paperwhite. I did spring for a lighted case that draws off the kindle's battery. There were no paperwhites or I would have bought it over the touch, but I don't think it's worth the $100 to upgrade when they basically have the same function.

Can you adjust the brightness of the light on the case in tiny increments?

ETA: I like the variety of covers without lights. I also paid less for my cover than some of the lighted ones I've seen, so the price difference might not be as much as it originally appears. With the way we use our Kindles, I can see the light being broken off. Also, I think the lighted cover might have the potential to affect others more with light.  Of course it depends on which lighted cover. Also, sleekness was important to me to make it as portable as possible. Having a lighted cover affects the portability a tad.

We have a couple kindle fires also. But we never read off of them. They have a very different purpose.

The regular kindle or paperwhite are much better for just reading.

The reading is definitely not bad at all on the HD and HDX but the immersion feature is just great. I do wish the Paperwhite had the immersion feature but it does not. The immersion feature sold us on the kindle fires.