Menu

Is manual defrost a pain

Mom-ninja.

Many of us grew up with these... People defrost different amounts of ice build up. It doesn't take long if you do it more often. haha  You have to empty the freezer, put in a pan of boiling water, replace, wait for ice to melt enough to take out. Don't use sharp objects.  It's not hard. It's one of those time versus money things. 

Well, I only do mine maybe a couple times a year, if that. I just take everything out, use the blow dryer to heat up the ice around the edges, and what doesn't just fall off, I scrape off with a plastic scraper. Doesn't take long at all. Much easier to take out the hunks of ice than to thaw it all the way and drain the water out, by the way.

Manual defrost chest freezers are more energy efficient, so that's why we've used them. Ours is in the garage, we open it once or twice a day here in humid VA, and it only needs defrosting about once a year. We wait until it gets cold, empty it, turn it off, and set a thick hotmat or two on the bottom. We put a lasagna pan on the hotmat and pour boiling water into it. Then we close the freezer and let it sit. 1/2 hour later the ice is defrosted enough to come off in large sheets and chunks, and we scrape it into a bucket with a plastic pancake turner. The rest of the moisture is then wiped off with towels, the food is put back in, and we're done!

Don't forget to turn your freezer back on!

Oh, and one more thing...spend the $10 and get a freezer alarm. One of those saved us a whole lot of food a few years ago when our old unit conked out. A friend of mine lost a whole side of beef when hers died. She had meant to get an alarm but never got around to it. :(

Mine is small. I try to have it empty and off for the month of August, or so. By then we've eaten the pork and it forces me to rotate out the rest of the stuff. I leave the lid open and once all the ice has melted I drain it out and wipe down the inside. Then I can start it up for the fall garden and the next half-hog.

We defrost about once a year, in spring when we've eaten most of the frozen berries and when we're about due for a Costco run (i.e. out of meat and freezer convenience foods). It's no big deal--move whatever food is left to kitchen freezer, unplug, leave top open, come back in a half hour or hour and lift out chunks of ice. Clean walls and bottom surface. Close lid, plug back in. Put the food back in maybe the next day (I have no idea how long it takes to get cold enough for food safety).

I have a manul defrost upright freezer in my garage that was purchased by my grandparents in 1977 and then given to me after I got married and they didn't need it anymore.  It's still going strong, but I do hate that I have to defrost it. It's not really that hard- I unplug it and let it thaw since it's in the garage, the water just trickles out the door. I'm just lazy and would prefer if it defrosted itself, but if the freezer would be a great deal I'd probably buy it.

Well, it's kind of a pain, but it used to be the only way we ever defrosted our freezers so we just got used to it.  :)  I'd do mine about once/year, and it was kind of a day-long project, although it didn't need my attention that whole time.