Menu

CLE Math Flash cards ?

Sue G in PA

They are more than just flash cards. They are set up with a unique lettering coding to constantly rotate what you are practicing. The CLE light unit will say which set of flash cards to practice each day. I personally paid for them and was glad I did.

That being said, no, you don't need them. You can use your own and just do your own flash card review each day.

I thought the same thing. I bought one set thinking I could cheaply make a 2nd set(we are using grades 1 and 2 and you can't really use one set for both kids). I ended up ordering a second set. They are good quality and it was easier to follow their set up then try to recreate it. I also don't like the cards that have on fact on one side and another on the other side. These are one fact per card. That said if it's a major money thing you could use your own and code them. The 2nd grade sets are listed in the teachers manual. I have more kids to use them so it was worth it to me.

I ended up buying a used second set of add/sub flashcards, so my 1st and 2nd grader could have their own since the cards are re-organized in 2nd grade a certain way. If your children are all 2nd grade and above, you can use one set of cards, but definitely get them.

You can use any brand of multiplication/division cards you want though. 

We were lucky enough to be given a set of hand-me-down CLE flash cards from some friends, but I would say they're definitely worth the money if you can swing it. I love how the rotation is already set up and I don't have to worry about dd getting rusty on facts we forgot to review. I had her make her own set of flash cards for multiplication (adding one set at a time as we learned a new fact family), and we'll do the same this year for division.

I agree with the previous posters. The cards are worth the money! With that said, I'll add that you can go through your cards and code them (if you have the good, full sets). I bought one CLE set for my first grader, but to save money I went through and hand coded the regular set I already owned for my third grader. It wasn't fun, but doable. I think it took me about an hour to code them. The system really is great though.

I did buy the multiplication cards too, but I didn't have any so I needed them anyway. They aren't coded or 'special' like the +/- ones, but they're good quality cards as well.

• 8 months later...

Can someone explain how the addition/subtraction flash cards are coded?  I have been trying to decide on either a flash card system or making a laminated triangle Fact Family card like http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Write-Family-Boards/dp/B0036ZSENQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428027163&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+resources+fact+family+addition

They are divided into groups labeled A through M (I think M is the last one). Each day the top of the workbook page tells you to drill set A or set J. We didn't start with CLE until second grade, and they have the cards ordered differently for first grade. I'm guessing they were in fact families in first grade and then were mixed up to provide a more random practice in second grade and up.

• Like 1

Can someone explain how the addition/subtraction flash cards are coded?  I have been trying to decide on either a flash card system or making a laminated triangle Fact Family card like http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Write-Family-Boards/dp/B0036ZSENQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428027163&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+resources+fact+family+addition

CLE sets up very targeted, very specific fact practice.  It is a pretty unique system in the way they use flash cards.  If you get their flash cards all the cards are already structured to work with their review system.  SOOOO easy to use.  It is honestly really brilliantly done IMO.  I love it.  It was absolutely well worth the money and has made a world of difference in learning and retaining math facts here.

As for the multiplication and division, any set would probably do.  I went ahead and ordered the CLE version, though, and actually created a similar system for those.  My kids liked the feel of those cards, and DD especially preferred the black and white to any sort of color set.  She also liked having division on the flip side.  Both kids still review facts periodically.  When we do a multiplication set, we immediately flip the cards over and do the division side.  It has helped TREMENDOUSLY with understanding how the numbers connect and with retaining math facts for multiplication and division.

All that being said, what you linked above looks good.  I, personally, would still get the CLE set and use those, but the other might work as an alternate for additional practice.

Thank you.  Do you need to buy anything besides the cards or is the system self explanatory?

I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking.  Do you mean the flash card system or CLE in general?

If it is the flashcards, then no, you don't need anything else.  CLE will explain how to use the cards and it is all really easy to implement.

If you mean CLE in general, then besides the flash cards I would absolutely get their laminated reference chart.  It is usable forever.  Love that thing.  I use it myself periodically.  :)

Thank you.  Do you need to buy anything besides the cards or is the system self explanatory?

Also, FWIW, if you aren't actually using CLE, then just ordering the CLE flashcards may not net you that much.  The CLE workbooks call for specific flash card sets that tie into the lesson for that day as well as tying in to a systematic plan of review that continues for several years.  Just looking at the flashcards without seeing the CLE workbooks,  they just look like flashcards organized in some sort of wonky way.

The addition/subtraction flash cards do have a pamphlet with them that explains the rotation of cards. Even though we use (and like) CLE math workbooks, I do think the cards could be used effectively with any math curriculum.

I agree with OneStep that the system works beautifully!

HTH!

• Like 1

The addition/subtraction flash cards do have a pamphlet with them that explains the rotation of cards. Even though we use (and like) CLE math workbooks, I do think the cards could be used effectively with any math curriculum.

I agree with OneStep that the system works beautifully!

HTH!

Forgot about the pamphlet! Yes I guess that would help make sense of the organization and the system if you weren't using the workbooks. :)

I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking.  Do you mean the flash card system or CLE in general?

If it is the flashcards, then no, you don't need anything else.  CLE will explain how to use the cards and it is all really easy to implement.

If you mean CLE in general, then besides the flash cards I would absolutely get their laminated reference chart.  It is usable forever.  Love that thing.  I use it myself periodically.   :)

I was just on their site and do not see any laminated charts.  Could you please show us a link?

I already plan on using Singapore 1A/1B next year with Life of Fred Apples, but wanted to provide some drill of facts which made me interested in their flashcards.  I didn't want to have to purchase the full math curriculum to understand how the flashcards work, but if the pamphlet explains it.... happy days.

• Like 1

I was just on their site and do not see any laminated charts.  Could you please show us a link?

I already plan on using Singapore 1A/1B next year with Life of Fred Apples, but wanted to provide some drill of facts which made me interested in their flashcards.  I didn't want to have to purchase the full math curriculum to understand how the flashcards work, but if the pamphlet explains it.... happy days.

Here is the laminated chart for elementary through 6th grade.  There is another one for 7th-9th...

https://www.clp.org/products/elementary_math_reference_chart_grades_2_6_2210

I cannot recall exactly how detailed the pamphlet is for the flash cards.  But if you had questions I am sure one of us that is actually using CLE could answer them.  Good luck!   :)

ETA, you could also buy one Light Unit since they are really cheap and look at how they incorporate the flash cards into the lessons.  The light unit could also be used for review/practice.  There are samples on line, so that might help, too.

The pamphlet is all you need :). It is all scheduled out there, day by day, telling you when to introduce new cards, when to move them etc.

Are the Calendar Book and Counting Book scheduled into CLE 100 like the flash cards? Or are they purely supplements?

Are the Calendar Book and Counting Book scheduled into CLE 100 like the flash cards? Or are they purely supplements?

The calendar book is not scheduled in the light units. It's supplemental. The counting book isn't scheduled in the light units like the flash cards, but the TM does direct you when to have the student write a row of numbers. It isn't tied to the lesson though. It's basically writing 10 numbers at a time with the goal of writing to 1000. So I would say that the counting book isn't 'supplemental', but could definitely be done at a different time/rate as the lessons, and even just on a sheet of paper if needed.