Menu

I'm old.

BlsdMama

It's official.

It's 3AM, I can't sleep and I don't know how to use MY own television and dvd player together. This is a little embarrassing.

This is why I keep my son around.  He's the only one in our family who actually knows how to switch the input channels on the TV to where the DVD player shows up on the screen.  Without him, we are all lost.

**Warning: Old Person Reminiscing Ahead!***

Life was so simple.  Our television had no remote.  There was a dial.  It wasn't even easy to turn.  We only had four stations - ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS.  I remember when we got Fox.  I recall asking why we needed a new station.  What would it have?  It seemed so odd and unnecessary.  There was an art in just getting a channel to come in decently.  Had to turn to the channel then slowly, delicately move the tuner back and forth until the picture was clear.  Of course, there was the adjusting of the vertical and horizontal hold.  Saturday morning cartoons were a big deal.  Remember the Friday night previews for the new season?!  One of my favorite things was to go to the drug store with my dad to check to see if the tubes were good.  Oh the memories.  Yes.  I know.  I'm preaching to the choir.   :lol:   At least the only thing close to a reality show that we had was Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom or Jacques Cousteau.  Maybe Battle of the Network Stars and Circus of the Stars were closer to reality.  Fun times.

I don't know how to turn the tv on, so you are ahead of me.  There are four remotes for all of that, and I have no clue what does what.  It isn't a new tv either.  We've had it for several years.  :glare:

We used to have three remotes, and it drove me crazy, so I begged DH to find a universal remote that would allow us to just have one. So he finally caved and purchased one, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. So now we have four remotes. :huh:

I remember laughing inwardly at my MIL when we had to explain the difference between CDs and DVDs. Now my kids laugh at me because they have to explain to me how to make calls on their cell phones.

I'm OK with our TV as long as I can find the one particular remote (out of 4) that has the "input" button at the top. I can find TV stations with that and adjust the volume. Forget about DVDs though.

I don't know how many times my 25 year old daughter had to show me how to use ours.  I was impressed when she was at work the other day when I was able to do it without her help.  Asking my 76 year old mother wouldn't have helped. :lol:

Thank god we have old standard definition box TVs :) I have both bedroom TVs with 2 remotes each (dish universal remotes and DVD player remote), the living room only has one because we don't have a DVD player there. If we watch a movie as a family, we just all pile up on the master bed :)