Menu

s/o Wii - game suggestions?

Spryte

We've had a Wii for years, and it's rarely used.  The only time we use it is when friends are over, if they see it. DS just isn't into it on his own.  I'd like to buy some new games, but I have no idea what might be fun.

Can someone suggest some games?  For the 8 - 10 year old crowd, please?  

Well, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Cart, and Wii Sports have all been popular here.  The Code Lyoko Game was also used for while.  Family Game Night isn't bad.  Mainly I am the one that uses it, though, for Wii Fit.  

Now that Nintendo is no longer supporting the Wii, the kids can't race with other kids around the world on Mario Cart which was a huge disappointment.  They loved looking at the globe it showed of where other racers around the world were located.  Games still work but there will no longer be internet game play and no more updates as I understand it.  

Well, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Cart, and Wii Sports have all been popular here.  The Code Lyoko Game was also used for while.  Family Game Night isn't bad.  Mainly I am the one that uses it, though, for Wii Fit.  

Now that Nintendo is no longer supporting the Wii, the kids can't race with other kids around the world on Mario Cart which was a huge disappointment.  They loved looking at the globe it showed of where other racers around the world were located.  Games still work but there will no longer be internet game play and no more updates as I understand it.  

What exactly does that mean, "no longer supporting the Wii"???

We have a Wii, but the boys want to upgrade to a Wii U, and dh and I really prefer the Wii over other game systems because there are so many more family games available.  Are they still making games?

Should we even be bothering saving up for a WiiU??

The newest game they love to play is FIFA soccer.  They also like Animal Crossing, My Sims Racing, Mario Kart racing, My Sims Agents, My Sims Party, Wii Party, Sports, Sports Resort.  The Little Guy ONLY plays Lego Indiana Jones.

Betsy

Oh, I forgot, I agree the lego games are very popular here, too, along with Skylanders.

I have not heard of Kirby's Epic Yarn, Night Elf.  Can you explain a bit about it?

Hmm.. how to explain a game. Do you know Kirby? He's been the main character in several games I think. There are different levels in worlds. The goal is to collect gems. It's called Epic Yarn because he's made out of yarn and the scenes look like patchwork quilts. This is a youtube video for the official trailer. There is a boss at the end of each world that can be kind of challenging. I had to look for help online for some of the play. It looks like a simple game but there are some challenging parts. But if I can do it, I'm assuming a child can. I am not the best game player anymore. I've lost my edge over the years so now I have to stick with easy games. :)

We have a Wii, but the boys want to upgrade to a Wii U, and dh and I really prefer the Wii over other game systems because there are so many more family games available.  Are they still making games?

The newest game they love to play is FIFA soccer.  They also like Animal Crossing, My Sims Racing, Mario Kart racing, My Sims Agents, My Sims Party, Wii Party, Sports, Sports Resort.  The Little Guy ONLY plays Lego Indiana Jones.

Betsy

They are putting all their efforts into the Wii U now.  They will no longer make games for the Wii and they are discontinuing many on-line offerings for the Wii.  Doesn't mean you can't keep using the system.  They just won't be supporting it any more.

Hmm.. how to explain a game. Do you know Kirby? He's been the main character in several games I think. There are different levels in worlds. The goal is to collect gems. It's called Epic Yarn because he's made out of yarn and the scenes look like patchwork quilts. This is a youtube video for the official trailer. There is a boss at the end of each world that can be kind of challenging. I had to look for help online for some of the play. It looks like a simple game but there are some challenging parts. But if I can do it, I'm assuming a child can. I am not the best game player anymore. I've lost my edge over the years so now I have to stick with easy games. :)

Thanks for the clarification Night Elf!  :)  And I've lost my edge too....

Betsy

IMHO, the upgrade the the WiiU was worth it for the new Mariokart alone.   Now we're waiting rather impatiently for the new Smash Bros for the WiiU.

We've had a Wii for years, and it's rarely used.  The only time we use it is when friends are over, if they see it. DS just isn't into it on his own.  I'd like to buy some new games, but I have no idea what might be fun.

Can someone suggest some games?  For the 8 - 10 year old crowd, please?  

What games do you have now?  

For a single person 8-10 age range I would suggest any of the Lego games- except Batman, DS said that one was boring.

Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (several versions), and Disney Infinity  are the most played games here.